close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oil Conversion

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by a1Tom, May 27, 2006.

1. a1Tom

a1Tom

Hi everybody
    I am just about finished with my 1975 Suzuki TS 185 resto project and am looking to getting it on the road this week.
    I have owned this bike since new and have all trail/dirt miles (about 6000) and I have a few questions that you may be able to answer.

1. has anyone ever rode on the street with this type bike? and how was it. (other than underpowered for the limited access highways)what can I expect for top speed. I bet it has only seen 50 mph in its life time

2. What is the conversion for 550 cc of motor oil to pints/guarts.

3. anybody take their bike test in Ga and what was it like?

Thanks

2. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Here's a metric conversion chart:

http://thegarden.neonexus.com/omega/Misc/metric.htm

If my math is correct, .55 liters= .583 quarts

I owned a 1979 TS-185 new when in H.S. It was a great bike for to and from school/work as well as trail riding. They're geared pretty low, so they wind out about 55 mph if I recall, plus they're pretty light for high speed. I'd stay off hiways or the interstate that's for sure.

You could probably go with a smaller sprocket on the rear to get a little more top end but to the sacrifice of low end on trails.

3. a1Tom

a1Tom

Thanks
    If I remember right about 30 years ago I put a one tooth smaller front sprocket on it for the dirt. I guess I need to go back to orig. also. The advice sounds good on no high speeds, really I will be using it to ride in the Natl forest on dirt roads and it must be reg. for that. Also not having street tires on it I bet it can get a bit dicy.

Thanks

4. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I had street nobbys on mine. Before I bought my KZ 550 last Sept. for a commuter bike I did a search for a TS-185 to see what was out there, not much. Rethinking my last post, I wouldn't take it on the hiway at all for anything over 45-50 mph. My KZ is geared pretty low for a street bike and was at about 5k on the tach at 55mph.

I'd still like to find one if I had some trails to ride. A coworker just told me yesterday, that he purchased an old Honda 90cc trail bike from the mid 70's with 500 miles on it.

How bout some pics of your restored bike?

5. klmmicro

klmmicro

Back in the day, I had a XR200 that I had plated. My friend had a 185, can't remember the exact model. The two bikes were almost identical in weight and stature. Also, they both trailed well. I do rememeber him having "issues" on the street when we would ride there. His gearing was too low for sustained highway use, but was perfect for getting to the trail heads.

For trails and short jaunts, that 185 should be great! I put 11K on my 200 and my friend was with me for about 80% of those. We sold them at about the same time and neither had any real work done to them.

Be careful changing the gearing around. You do not have a lot of surplus torque and you can kill the bikes trail-worth in a hurry. I would mess with the rear sprocket first if possible. One front tooth is roughly equivalent to 3 in the back, so you can tailor a little better from the behind.