close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oil change question...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pal2511, Mar 24, 2010.

1. pal2511

pal2511

I am tired of waiting for hours or for any extended period of time for an extended period of time.

My ranger has 202,000 miles on it and I want to start it on a high mileage oil plan...or should I just stick with normal oil?

Do you know if walmart would recycle used oil for free.

My mechanical ability is lacking sometimes...but I have did minor car repairs such as heater core replacements and what not on my old caddy

2. farley45

farley45

Oil changes are very simple and easy to do, there is not much to it.

I don't know about walmart, but most auto parts stores (like O'Reillys) will be able to dispose of the oil for you.

3. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Is your vehicle burning oil? do you have to add oil between oil changes? ( assuming you are using a 3K oil change interval)

If Yes then switching to a high mileage oil might be a good idea. They are usually formulated to reduce oil burn off and also have extra additives to condition seals to prevent oil leaks in older Vehicles.

My brothers car had started to consume oil between oil changes so he switched to Castrol GTX high mileage. now the vehicle does not use oil between oil changes.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

You asked about WalMart taking your used oil.

I take my oil, transmission fluid and anti-freeze to my local Quiki oil change shop. No questions asked.

They dump it all into the floor drain pit were they drain the cars fluids and give me back my containers.

5. M249SAW

M249SAW Rescue Jockey

As said above if its burning through oil yes. Really thought with that mileage I would anyway.

Any auto parts store that pushes DIY maintenance should recycle your oil.

6. DrMark

DrMark Dr Dew

Castrol GTX high mileage has helped reduce oil consumption on one of my vehicles (230k miles).

7. pal2511

pal2511

No leaking or burning oil that I know of

8. RenoF250

RenoF250

I believe any place that sells or change oil is require to take up to 5 gallons for free. I usually take it to Kragen. The cat litter jugs from Costco make great oil containers.

9. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Here's my two cents.

I have local quicky change place that does my car for 21.99 in about 15 minutes. If I bought the stuff I needed, 5 quarts of oil and a new filter (of reasonable quility) I'm saving about 4 dollars.
    It's worth a whole lot more than four dollars to me to not get dirty and not have to drive someplace to dump the crap anyway.

I fix my own cars when they're broken. In fact, I used to change oil for a living until I graduated to fixing cars. Anyone who's changing their own oil isn't doing it for the savings. They're doing it because they enjoy the exercise (for whatever reason).

Also, my new car has a maintenance contract where the dealership changes the oil at certain intervals, in about 20 minutes, with no up-sell attempts.

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Unless you have some weird state or local ordinance requiring the above, I'd say it's poppy-cock.

People who own oil change facilities and mechanics who work with speent fluids have to PAY to have them disposed of. What kind of ludicrous government rule would require them to accept "any old oil?"

At the shop I worked at, the owner used to have us direct people to the competition. It was bad business but it sure was fun.

He wasn't about to pay for somebody else to not spend money in his shop.

11. dac1204

dac1204

While I do not change it for the savings I do it because it will be done right and the way I want it. The average oil change around here is 32.99 and they didnt even know how to shut the oil change required light off. They told me to go to my mechanic and have them turn it off. I do save about 14 dollars but again its not the savings that matter.

I know and have heard horror stories about quickie oil change places that left the drain plug out or didnt tighten the oil filter or forgot to put oil back in it. If I have to go and check after them the I mght as well do it myself.

12. Vigilant

Vigilant

What dac1204 said. You are really taking your chances having someone else change your oil, unless you have inside knowledge of a really well-run shop. If you have the ways and means, I would do it yourself. But not just to save a couple bucks on labor.

Ever hear of a site called bobistheoilguy.com? Lots of great info, if the site is still up. I use Mobil One full synthetic in my personal car, an '04 Crown Vic P71 with 125,000 miles. I use a Motorcraft factory filter, and run it 8,000 miles between changes. For that oil, 8,000 mile change intervals are extremely safe. Not only do I get far less engine wear, and a little better performance due to less friction; I also cut my frequency of oil changes in half. It's a no-brainer. And you most definitely will feel the difference in accelleration.

Most folks around here take their used oil to Advance Auto Parts and get rid of it for free. I use mine to start brush fires, as needed behind the house.

Have you ever changed your thermostat? It's a cheap part, but if it fails, it could be costly. What about coolant? Power steering fluid? Brake fluid, and differential lube? With those miles, I would be thinking about updating all that, plus taking a good hard look at belts and hoses. If it is running well and doesn't use oil, I would not be scared of the miles, WITH careful attention to maintenance.

I think VERY highly of Ranger pickups.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

13. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I've been thinking about changing to the high milage synthetic stuff. Then again I only drive about 4k a year. Need to look into changing my diff oil. Never done that before.

14. winglock

winglock

In addition to places taking used oil to retail locations that sell oil I've seen numerous ads on Craigslit where people offer used oil for free because many people want to burn it in used oil heaters.

15. pal2511

pal2511

The tranny works well right now....hate to fool with it

The coolent was changed right before I got the truck. I looked at the serpentine belt and it looked ok

16. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

Becareful using synthetic oil on high mileage engines it can cause seals an gaskets to leak i believe high mileage oils or "sythetic blend" so probably wont hurt might make your truck run a little bit smoother though.

17. Jeff G17

Jeff G17

I have paid for an oil change once. I would rather have a few brews and do it myself than sit in a waiting room for up to an hour.

18. andybob

andybob Do Work

I have mixed emotions about running Semi-Synthetics in high mileage engines. I have had people tell me there will be less friction, but read other articles that Synthetic oil tends to be a little bit more slipprier and can slip pasts seals and gaskets.

With that said, my car has a little over 45,000 miles and I have just switched to Valvoline Full-synthetic. I also changes the transmission oil (its a 5-Speed) over to Valvoline Full-Synthetic.

I also do all my own work on my car. I am a college student who is going for Automotive Technology, with more of a focus on Autobody, but I like the mechanical stuff too.

19. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i save a pretty good amount changing my own oil on my truck ..

so hk your premise doesnt fit everyone

20. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

If it's not burning oil, keep doing what you have been doing for the last 200,000 miles. If it is burning oil, try switching to heavier weight or "high mileage" oil.

Synthetic oil in an old car is a waste of money, in my opinion. Your mileage may vary. :wavey: