Ohio question

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ChiefWPD, Apr 3, 2010.

1. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Curious, can an Ohio resident, who possesses a valid FL concealed handgun permit, carry a concealed handgun in Ohio without any Ohio permit? I know there is reciprocity between Ohio and FL for concealed carry permits.

:dunno:

2. BuckeyeBlast

BuckeyeBlast

no comment, just subscribing...
    I had a FL CCW when I moved to OH and was told that you could, and that you could not if you were an actual resident... looking forward to the answer (I now have my OH CHL and FL has expired)

3. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Our state (not Ohio) just passed shall issue and my interpretation of what they passed is the same as this. All NON-RESIDENTS with out of state permits may carry, but RESIDENTS must have the "local" state permit.

4. conservativenut

conservativenut

Yes an Ohio resident can have a FL CCW and not an Ohio and still carry in OH. I took my class last Nov. and the only warning we received from the instructors (Springfield police officers) was that if we only get a FL license that we should not go up north to MI since they would frown on us having a FL license with an OH address :whistling:

5. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

A lot of CA folks have been getting the Utah and FL licenses because of the non-resident allowance and between those 2 permits, you have reciprocity in quite a few states, just not in CA.

6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

I'm not an LEO, but I've HEARD that this is true. And what I've also heard is that a LOT of people do it because if you get a CCW permit in Ohio, it shows up when they run your plate. With a FL permit, it doesn't.

That's what I've been told, so take it with a grain of salt...not sure if it's correct or not.

-Cody

7. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Correct about Michigan. They recognize permits from states you're a resident of only. No idea about Ohio.

Randy

8. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I am an LEO in Ohio and I honestly have no idea LOL. I do know a few of my firefighter buddies who went and got Florida CCWs within the last year or so because Florida has such a high reciprocity rate. That said, these guys also have Ohio CCWs, and I never really asked them the above question.

Someone mentioned MDT hits, and that would definitely be correct. Without really getting into specifics, I'm certain a FL CCW ID would not show up on an MDT return.

One last thing to note, Ohio is a MUST notify state. If you have a ccw and a weapon, you must notify any LEO who comes into lawful contact with you or face CCW charges. On a sidebar, like most things, cops form their own opinions on matters. In my ****ty little ghetto, I'm much less worried about valid/legal CCW permit holders than I am about everyone else there who has guns illegally. Truth be told, I wouldn't ever be there without a gun, it's not a nice area lol.

Sorry Chief I wish I could answer you better, I'll ask around tomorrow and see what I come up with.