close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio Officer Shoots Self By Accident

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by zombie373, Jan 29, 2010.

1. zombie373

zombie373

Maybe this guy should reconsider his career choice.

Jan. 26 -- WILLARD -- Willard Police Officer Joshua M. Dorsey was released Monday morning from Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center after accidentally shooting himself in the leg with his personal weapon Sunday.

The incident happened about 9:55 p.m. in the police locker room as Dorsey was reporting for duty.

"Officer Dorsey was removing his firearm and holster from his belt and the gun fired and struck Officer Dorsey in his right thigh, right calf and the top of his right foot. Officer Dorsey was the only person in the locker room at the time of the incident," Chief Joe Daniel said.

Dorsey exited the locker room and reported the incident to Sgt. Steve Weiss.

"The Willard rescue squad was summoned and first aid was administered to Officer Dorsey," Daniel said.

After initially being transported to Mercy Willard Hospital, he later went to Mercy St. Vincent.

"He's home. ... I'm sure he's recuperating," Daniel said Monday morning.

Sunday's incident remains under investigation because it involved an officer, a firearm and an injury.

"I don't want to go into a lot of details," Daniel said.

As part of an August domestic violence investigation in which Dorsey was the suspect, the chief ordered Dorsey to turn in his department firearms or weapons. In an Aug. 7 letter, Daniel also prohibited Dorsey from performing "the duties and responsibilities of a Willard police officer" and restricted him to "non-police officer duties," such as being a dispatcher.

His service revolver was re-issued to him Oct. 26, when he returned to work after a 40-day suspension.

"Anytime someone receives a suspension, we require him to turn in his weapons," Daniel said Monday.

The chief was asked if he had any concerns about Dorsey having weapons after being accused of domestic violence.

"I can't say that's case. ... If there were weapons involved, that would be a different story," Daniel said.

Police said Dorsey, 28, of 127 Crestwood Drive, Willard, was accused of holding a knife to his live-in girlfriend's throat and kicking her in the stomach in connection with an Aug. 6 incident. His accuser also told Detective Adam Strong that Dorsey shoved her against a wall, dumped a bucket of Pine Sol on her car and pushed the woman's 5-year-old daughter, causing the girl to lose her balance and hit her head on a nearby couch.

Dorsey initially was charged with two counts of domestic violence. He pleaded "no contest" Sept. 1 to disorderly conduct.

As part of the plea deal, Dorsey was ordered to undergo no less than six months of anger management counseling and establish the paternity of one of the girlfriend's daughters, who is believed to be Dorsey's. The defendant also was fined $150.

Another condition was the state would be allowed to refile the two domestic violence charges if Dorsey doesn't follow through with the expectations of the court.

"We do not want idle promises. ... There is a situation that needs attention," special Prosecutor R. Lee Shepherd said at the Norwalk Municipal Court hearing.

Daniel was asked Monday if he knew of any domestic issues or incidents involving Dorsey since the original complaint.

"In the past few months, I haven't heard anything," the chief said.

link: here

How is this guy still a cop?

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

The "Good old boy" network protects pieces of crap like him!

3. Petrie

Petrie

Service revolver? I thought all PDs used autos these day.

4. zombie373

zombie373

5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    :headscratch:

:headscratch:

6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Is there a "smack face" smiley... jeez.

-Cody

7. wcmaas

wcmaas Spares Weenie Silver Member

Takes a real man to push a 5 year old girl down. Waste of skin...

8. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Why do you dislike 5-year old girls so much that you call them wastes of skin? :supergrin:

9. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

This is mainly a matter of skillful articulation.

"I observed myself making a furtive movement for a weapon..."

Randy

10. wcmaas

wcmaas Spares Weenie Silver Member

Cause any 5 year old girl can whip the daylights out of this old man! :rofl:

11. opskmallory

opskmallory

I'm surprised he has a job. I had a training a couple of weeks ago that a Lt. from the MA State Police conducted. We joked about their discipline system and we were amazed at some of the stuff officers out there can get away with. And apparently, it's pretty similar in a lot of states back east.

Something like that here is almost an instant termination, and likely a revokation of your peace officer cert. You don't need proof to get **** canned out here. Probable cause is often the standard to be met to lose your career.

12. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

I'm not defending the guy but I know alot of officers that have been accused of all kinds of things (especially by ex spouse, gf). Doesnt mean it's true. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isnt. The fact that he plead guilty to disorderly would lead me to believe that the accusations were true or at least partially true but you never know.

13. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

14. strangepork

strangepork

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Wow... a ND with a revolver. That takes some deliberate talent to get by that 12 pound trigger. Amazing. I know people that can't make a revolver fire even intentionally because the trigger is so heavy. Then there are those that exert so much work to pull that trigger that the gun ends up pointing in every direction but the one you want to shoot at.

What the hell is this guy doing anyway?

16. Aquanewt

Aquanewt

The last ND with a revolver in my agency (that I recall) was when a officer on the line at qualification went to holster after reloading and left her finger in the trigger guard. Finger on trigger is pushed backwards (upwards) as revolver is inserted in holster. Since the holsters had a built in spring tension device you had to have a good hold on the grip and insert the revolver smartly. Well when inserted "smartly" with the finger in the trigger guard, the revolvers tend to go off. Officer had a GSW to the outside of her right thigh with an exit just below the natural curve of the buttocks. Almost all of our ND have been at weekly weapons inspection/cleaning at the station since we went to Semi-Autos, (Glock 17's at first and then Glock 22's)

17. Aquanewt

Aquanewt

As to the Domestic Violence aspect of this guy I've seen two incidents that were 180 degrees apart. The first involved a guy who left his wife for another woman and ended up shooting the GF. The second was a situation where the guy left the house for his weekly bowling league and came home to meet the local deputies with the Mrs gone. As soon as he walked out the door she called in a complaint on him and swore out a compalint in front of a court commissioner/magistrate type. He had to leave and the deputies seized all his guns. Did I mention that this guy was a gunsmith as well as a Police? He had a lot of his own stuff as well as stuff he was working on for customers and a few departmental guns he was working on at home. At the initial hearing infront of the judge she would not swear to the abuse/assault complaint because they didn't happen. The responding acency had to err on the side of caution and seized everthing and the guy had to move out. Ended up divorced, she was seeing a guy on the side and he was eventually re-instatted without any problem, except for being in in the 'suspended with pay' status and flying a desk in an Admin unit.

18. Man With A Gun

Man With A Gun

19. Gangrel

Gangrel

It seems pretty obvious that this guy is on the wrong side of the jail cell, however...

They posted his freakin' address, which means they would do it to other cops as well.

Not OK