close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio: Officer Down! Cleveland Heights officer dies of heart attack at 30.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by S.O.Interceptor, Mar 15, 2010.

1. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Officer-Down-News/Ohio-Officer-Dies-While-Chasing-Man-on-Foot/2$51225

Stories like this scare the crap out of me at times. 30 years old, good health, and dies in a foot pursuit. Damn. Just damn.

Rest in Peace sir!!!!! :fallenofficer: :patriot:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. packsaddle

packsaddle

I hope they charge the punk with manslaughter.

RIP

3. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

4. Philly K-9

Philly K-9 Run! I Dare ya!

Almost happened to me. 35, bodybuilder, decent shape, eat right, don't smoke etc. etc. etc. While working-out I started getting chest pains. Being 35 and in the shape I was in I blew it off as heart burn or some damn thing. Anything but what it really was. I even joked with myself that I was having a heart attack a few times!

Long story short, before I died of a massive heart attack, which was oh so close, I had a quadruple bypass. Less than a month later I nearly died, coded and was shocked back in fact, after some of the graphs failed and closed back up.

Almost 5 years later I'm still on the job, still working a dog and loving every secon of my life!!!!

Guys, heart trouble has much more to do with DNA than anything else. Get checked and listen to your body. Had I kept b lowing this off I would have died at 35. A medic in a suburb here just died of a heart attack at 39! Don't blow it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless!

5. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Rest in peace. :fallenofficer:

Heart disease is no joke. Get checked early on, if your family line indicates trouble for that.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  6. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Yep, 40 year old guy I went to the academy with, good shape, worked out regularly, got back surgery, died on the table.

7. G27Chief

G27Chief Lifetime Member

8. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

What was it that got you? Diet? You say you ate right, but a QUADRUPLE BYPASS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :shocked: Mother.... of.... God!!!!!!

Do you still workout and bodybuild?

I had an EKG a few weeks ago and the results were about as solid as humanly possible, however I don't think an EKG can detect blockages in arteries. Considering how I ate until I was 21 or 22, I wouldn't be surprised if I had some blockage. I haven't had a drink in a couple of years and have never smoked, but my diet was not always good.

9. Hunca Munca

Hunca Munca nonplussed

10. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

EKG can detect blockages in the heart indirectly...as heart tissues die, the electricity in your heart changes patterns. It reroutes around the dead stuff, there-by changing the EKG rhythym. That's one way it can detect heart attacks/problems.

Red

11. VHT

VHT

Just for the record/info, Tom was 190lbs at 6'5", A high school track Champion at his school and was training for an upcoming 10K marathon. Quite a healthy young man.

12. 312

I was 39 when I had my heart attack, on the job, while effecting an arrest. To stubborn to go to the hospital that night when I knew in the back of my mind what was happening. At 0700 I was confident I made the stubborn misytake that would take my life and woke my wife up to take me to the e.r. I was up to running seven miles a day at that point. It was certainly all genetics. My bad cholestorol was in the high 200's. 3 stints later I'm going strong. Pay attention to your health and don't think you "can't be that guy" because I'm here to tell ya, you can!

13. Philly K-9

+ 1!!!

14. Philly K-9

No, my diet was ok. Not perfect but not Genos everyday either (Geno's is the best! Prov wit!) No, not allowed to lift anymore.

If your insurance offers it have a "HEART CAM" done. It's a picture of your heart that can pick-out trouble fairly well. Most insurance companies will pay for it because it's cost effect in the long run.

Just for compairson, my brother, who's less than a year younger, had a heart cam done right after my bypass. He got a very good report. Remember what I said about it being genetic? My brother used to smoke a lot, eat like crap, never excercised except for the academy and drinks like tomorrow is only a rumor!!! You never know what God's plan is do ya?

15. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

Even the best diet - non smoker, etc. - loses out with the genes inherited. we lost our chief of medicine when i was an intern at age 38 - he was one of twelve children - none of whom survived the age of 40.

We lost a Pueblo Police captain (in early 50s) in the past 24 hours to a heart attack (myocardial infarction) unrelated to anything duty related and I lost a close friend and my dentist in his 50s - exercising to try to avoid his family history of that heart problem.

Sad to say, we can make choices of how we live but not about where and when we are born or die - as we all will sometime.

16. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

17. 4949shooter

4949shooter

18. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

The father of my wife's college roommate died of a heart attack when he was 38. He was a marathon runner, didn't eat red meat, didn't smoke, etc...

The miserable ***** who married my father was an alcoholic, smoked 2 packs a day, ate everything fried, and was 70 before she finally died.

This is why my main goal in life is to be an AH. The good die young, but AH's stay around forever.