Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a great victory to get the laws changes so we could carry however we wanted but I still find myself using the "Buckeye Tuck". I mean if I have my snubby SW in my pocket, driving with my seatbelt on, I'm screwed. If I have my G27 in SOB, buckled in my seat, I'm screwed. The only way I can figure to have my weapon on me, accessible and ready is OWB, very visible so I can reach it. Even IWB I have to pull my shirt out of the seat belt so I can get to it if needed. Am I the only one who hasn't figured a better way?

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you DONT have your CHL your gun should be in the trunk with ammo in the glove box. If you DO have your CHL your gun has to either be on your body in a holster or in the glove box.You can also keep it in a case the buckles, snaps, zips, or something and it must be out in plain view on the seat or somewhere where LE can see it if you are pulled over, but you dont have to keep ammo and gun separate with your CHL either though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These replies do not answer my question. Say you spend a day running errands, you're in and out of the vehicle a dozen times. How do you carry effectively without taking out your gun and storing it every time you get in and out? No matter what law changes in the future, my challenge is how do I carry concealed so I am ready for a carjacking or something without using the "Buckeye Tuck"? Everyone hated to do it and fought for our right to carry other ways, what ways did they have in mind? Come on Ohio, help me out!

·
Out of Columbus
845 Posts
carry two guns, keep one in an ankle rig. Keep doing the buckeye tuck with the ankle gun while in the car.

reaching the ankle while seated is no big deal. Your primary is backup while driving, and the ankle rig is primary.

Also worth noting, is that proper defensive driving techniques go a long way toward preventing a carjacking. If it fails to prevent a carjacking, it facilitates escape using the gas pedal instead of the gun. 3000 Lbs hits alot harder than 115 - 230 grains, guaranteed...

·
Gamehendge
177 Posts
If I wanted the fastest access to my gun without removing it from my person, I would carry in a OWB holster. I currently carry in my pocket all day, driving or not. Since drawing from my pocket is hard while sitting down, I will start putting it in the center console while driving (once legal). For now I just keep it in my pocket. I guess I am not very concerned with sub 1sec draws while driving my car, but then again I don't live in Dayton anymore.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Of course you have to make adjustments when you carry in a car. OWB seems to work the best, but of course you have to make sure the seat belt is out of the way. IWB, although a great way to conceal is a little harder to get to while driving, but can be done with some practice. You could take along a second gun, which you could keep in the center console(after Sept. that is) for easier access.
You may still have to perform the Buckeye Tuck in the car, for easy access, which is fine. The difference now is you have many options, not just one, and you have the opportunity to ask these type of questions and to try out different ways to see which is best for you. I'm not being much help, but practicing with an unloaded gun will tell you which way works best for you.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
The only problem I ever had with the Ohio tuck was the fact I "had" to do it because of a stupid law. If I'm pocket carrying, the grip is always accessible when driving, and if I'm carrying on my hip, the cover shirt is out of the way also. Don't have a problem whatsoever, just don't tell me I have to, because it's law!

·
Registered
33 Posts
These replies do not answer my question. Say you spend a day running errands, you're in and out of the vehicle a dozen times. How do you carry effectively without taking out your gun and storing it every time you get in and out? No matter what law changes in the future, my challenge is how do I carry concealed so I am ready for a carjacking or something without using the "Buckeye Tuck"? Everyone hated to do it and fought for our right to carry other ways, what ways did they have in mind? Come on Ohio, help me out!
Keep your holster on you and when you're in the car just keep your gun in the glove box or center console (if you have the kind that has a latched lid), then just grab it when you go to get out of the car.

carry two guns, keep one in an ankle rig. Keep doing the buckeye tuck with the ankle gun while in the car.

reaching the ankle while seated is no big deal. Your primary is backup while driving, and the ankle rig is primary.
I'm not trying to say you're stupid or anything, but you've obviously never had a car where the seat belt tends to lock up. My truck tends to lock the seat belt if I hit the breaks, step on the gas too hard, or sometimes it just has a mind of it's own. I know it's not a mechanical defect of any sort because I have been in several other cars that have done the same thing. Even though your ankle's not that far away, you very well may have just as much trouble fiddling with the seatbelt as if you were carrying IWB.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Travis
You're suggestion of the glove box or cenetr console is currently illegal in Ohio, and will continue to be so until Sept 9. Right now if you put it in the glove compartment it must be locked, which makes it all but useless.
I do agree with your ideas come Sept 9.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Travis
You're suggestion of the glove box or cenetr console is currently illegal in Ohio, and will continue to be so until Sept 9. Right now if you put it in the glove compartment it must be locked, which makes it all but useless.
I do agree with your ideas come Sept 9.
Thanks for the heads up.

I just took the class yesterday which was taught by the police chief two towns over and he stated that keeping it in a center console, as long as it had some sort of latch (but not necessarily a lock) it was all right. He never mentioned a date regarding the enactment of the law that allowed it though.

I believe he stated that it would fall under the "closed case, bag, box, or other container ... that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism"

·
Registered
251 Posts
I.m sorry to say it but he's dead wrong. Please don't tell me it was the Medina County Sheriff. I'm associated with a class taught in Wadsworth where he's a regular speaker.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I.m sorry to say it but he's dead wrong. Please don't tell me it was the Medina County Sheriff. I'm associated with a class taught in Wadsworth where he's a regular speaker.
Nope, not Medina country. This guys a village police chief in Geauga County, been teaching the class for awhile now too.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I thought the "Buckeye Tuck" went out when the other concealed carry bill passed, HB12? The plain sight went out with the last one, I do believe.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Am I the only one who hasn't figured a better way?
To your original question. I've been using a belly band about midway up my chest. The velcro lets you keep it tight enough to stay put but not so tight that you can't breath. I carry a G26 and an extra mag without issues. The one second draw is a problem for many anyway and I'm not worried about it. I figure if I'm that far behind the curve I'm in deep trouble anyway you slice it, regardless of carry method.
FYI, I mostly wear button shirts and it's an easy move to unbutton one casually. If I needed it quickly buttons break off easily enough. I know cause I've tried it a few times. When I wear a t-shirt I wear it lower next to my belt. Totall concealed, no worry about printing or being made even if I raise my shirt. All you see is the bottom of the 5" wide band.
In the car/truck I have a clip-on holster that I use and transfer the gun to it making it visable. Looking forward to Sept 9, I can leave it where I put it in the morning for the entire day :supergrin:.

Just my 2¢

·
Registered
175 Posts
In the car/truck I have a clip-on holster that I use and transfer the gun to it making it visable. Looking forward to Sept 9, I can leave it where I put it in the morning for the entire day
You've been able to leave it where it is since March 14, 2007.:upeyes:

·
NRA Member
554 Posts
Linda, does Kens book cover what happened 3/14/07 and what will come into play next month? I have ordered a copy and look forward to reading it.
It would be nice if someone in Buckeye Firearms or others would publish something of the like. I checked out the Ohio Attorney Generals site and don't find much of use, I expect them (OAG) to put out something to law enforcement sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts