Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I am looking to get my first AR15 within the next few weeks. I was originally planning to get a Spikes midlength 16". After I noticed they have a 3-4 week backlog I decided to look at some other options. I am now considering buying a BCM upper and blem lower receiver to assemble myself.

The upper that I am interested in is the 16" midlength with VTAC TRX handguard. This upper has a 1 in 8 twist stainless barrel. I know the stainless barrels are usually used in rifles where accuracy are most important. Are there any disadvantages of SS barrels vs. chromoly barrels. I will be using this for primary home defense, plinking and hopefully later 3 gun. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The BCM is a good rifle as good or better than Spikes. Can't comment on the barrel except that midlength is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far I have seen nothing negative about BCM. I am just used to seeing everyone use chromoly (usually chrome lined) for their builds.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Accuracy is important in 3gun so it sounds like a good fit. Plus its a beautiful upper.
Yes it is. :cool: Didn't you have the same handguard on one of your rifles? If so how did you like it?

·
Banned
3,447 Posts
Yes it is. :cool: Didn't you have the same handguard on one of your rifles? If so how did you like it?
I have 3 of the Troy version. Holes insted of slots. I like them a lot. You can wrap your hand 3/4 the way around it giving great control. Using tips from another forum I direct mounted an AFG bypassing the add-on rail. It makes it much nicer. Noveske is making a flush mount sling mount for cheap that I want to try. The IWC mount works great though. I also need to purchase a better light mount than the one Im currently using.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
generally speaking SS barrels can be more accurate, but have a shorter life. Can't quantify either of those. In reality not much difference for most users.

edit - about to put the 11" VTAC version on my DD upper. hoping it is as good as I've heard. If so, I will be adding the IWC qd mount and handstop.

·
Banned
3,447 Posts
generally speaking SS barrels can be more accurate, but have a shorter life. Can't quantify either of those. In reality not much difference for most users.

edit - about to put the 11" VTAC version on my DD upper. hoping it is as good as I've heard. If so, I will be adding the IWC qd mount and handstop.
Let me know how that handstop works out. Ive been thinking about going that route but worry about heat build up. This past summer I was running w/ no hand stop or AFG and the rail got hot as hell.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
my fear as well. The vtac version has a little more metal on it. It might protect my hand a little more (wishful thinking :) ). I see gloves in my future.

How many rounds before it got uncomfortable and how long to cool again?

·
NRA ENDOWMENT
6,545 Posts
Stainess barrels have more limited life 5 to 10k depending on who you talk to. But they are more accurate (.5 to 1 moa generally sometimes a bit better sometimes a touch worse)

Chrome lined barrels can last a really long time say 20k for a standard barrel or double that for a cold hammer forged chrome lined Noveske Barrel. But accuracy is not as good (generally 1.5 moa to 2 moa some better some worse)

For me if its a three gun rifle or a precision build I go stainless for a patrol gun (or self defense) or plinking go chrome lined.
Pat

·
12,970 Posts
It's also how hard you run the gun.

If you're mag dumping all over, it'll shorten the life. Shot regularly or slow..you're unlikely to wear the barrel out.

·
Banned
3,447 Posts
my fear as well. The vtac version has a little more metal on it. It might protect my hand a little more (wishful thinking :) ). I see gloves in my future.

How many rounds before it got uncomfortable and how long to cool again?

It was a bright sunny 100 degree day. If I remember correctly it started getting hot to the point it became a constant thing on my mind after a couple mags. I wasn't doing mag dumps but was keeping up a decent rhythm. The RO threatened to make me leave for not waiting the 3-4 sec. b/w rounds. I politely showed her the huge hole in the center of my target and asked who, besides the paper was I endangering.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the input guys. Are there any other uppers in this price range that you might recommend over this one.

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
My next upper is going to be the 18" version of that, dead sexy upper.

Configured like so:

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
That is awesome! That thing should be able to shoot sub MOA all day long. I just question weather I need the added accuracy or durability.
I find that if you even wonder, you'll kick yourself if you don't go for it.

The "I should haves" last a LOT longer than the pain of that extra couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
As mentioned, SS is generally more accurate, but less barrel life. If I were making a 3 gun rifle it would have a SS barrel. All of my true precision AR rifles have SS barrels.
I agree, but, for your first AR get a good cl barrel, I guarentee it will out shoot you, plus you can take the money you save, and use it for ammo, mags, optics, Geissel trigger, etc. You can get a BCM with a CL barrel for quite a bit less, and other than being able to see the differance, you wont be able to notice for a while until you have quite a few rounds down range.

·
Banned
42,102 Posts
I agree, but, for your first AR get a good cl barrel, I guarentee it will out shoot you, plus you can take the money you save, and use it for ammo, mags, optics, Geissel trigger, etc. You can get a BCM with a CL barrel for quite a bit less, and other than being able to see the differance, you wont be able to notice for a while until you have quite a few rounds down range.
I went with a high quality chrome lined 16" barrel for my "main" (also, currently, only) AR. Didn't save any money over the above stainless upper though, as I got a Noveske :supergrin:

As for accuracy, I've only shot cheap 55 and 62 grain bullets through it, with either a red dot or cheap 1-4x, and was getting about 2" groups at 100 yards. I'm sure with good heavy bullets and quality glass, it could outshoot me easily.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts