oh boy oh boy

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bunker, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Bunker

Bunker

I am picking up my new Glock 30 this Thursday... Actually, when it comes in i will pay for it, and then wait three weeks till the judge signs paperwork for me to pick it up.... thanks NYS legislation!!! Anyways, i have been looking around for ammo locally, and find that it is approx. $.55/round. I know it would be expensive, but supplies are very limited, and my friend who has his FFL liscense and get guns and ammo from a wholesaler says he has no 45acp ammo:crying:. My long term goal is to reload.... i currently do for shotgun shells, and i save a ton of money... but to start, i wanted some factory ammo in order to start shooting right away, and also to get the brass. What about the cheapo wolf ammo with the aluminum case? Can you use non jacket bullets in a Glock? Can you use JHP for practice? I decided on a Glock 30 because i want to purchase a 1911 someday, and i figured i could reload for both guns. What is a good carry ammo? I am taking my CCL class this weekend, and hopefully will have a full carry permit by springtime. I ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck in horsehide... hope i will be happy with that. How about online ammo sales? Do they kill you on shipping fees? Thanks for the input, sorry so many questions. Bunker

2. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G30. :)

3. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

4. 07 LMB Z06

07 LMB Z06

$0.55 per round? That seems like a lot. My 10mm ammo was only about $0.40 per round. Look online. The shipping is not bad at all, and I can almost guarantee you will find better ammo for less money. That was definitely the case for me.

5. elde

elde Lifetime Member

6. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

7. ronin.45

ronin.45

First off, congrats on the nice purchase. Now I will try to answer some of your questions.

Try some online ammo venders. Natchez shooter's supply usually has pretty good prices.

Stay away from wolf ammo unless you absolutely can't find better stuff. The case is not aluminum it's steel. The ammo is dirty and unreliable.

You can shoot lead in a Glock but you have to be very religious about cleaning it well. Like wolf ammo, avoid if you can.

You can shoot JHP for practice but it is usually much more expensive than FMJ so I wouldn't.

8. Bunker

Bunker

thanks for the replies... Bunker

9. pangloss9

pangloss9

I've not had good luck with ammoengine. Their data base was kept up today date when I used to check it regularly. 45ACP has been difficult to find even online lately. Here are some other suggestions:

www.ammunitiontogo.com
    LTD Ammo
    Palmetto State Armory

I've never order from Palmetto State Armory, but I've been very pleased with the other two.

10. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

The 30 is a great gun. I shoot all shorts of cheap ammo through mine. Wolf, Blazer, WWB, etc. It all works fine but I take extra time and effort when cleaning. $.55 does sound pretty expensive. I usually get mine between $.32-37 Check out Walmart. If they have it it will be cheap. I have to order bulk online to really save anything. Ordering small amounts + shipping usually cost the same as local ammo. I really hope the ammo situation will improve here soon. Don't shoot lead through your stock Glock barrel!

^^ike

11. arayme

arayme

I agree... www.ammunitiontogo.com is a great site. I just ordered 250 rounds of 9mm HP and the cost for shipping was $15.00.

12. Bunker

Bunker

On the website ammunitiontogo, are the self defense rounds priced well, or is it just the bulk priced ammo that is a good deal? THanks. Bunker

13. billd203

billd203

Congrats, The 30 is a great gun. It maybe my first Glock if my permit ever comes? I have been waiting 9 weeks for my permit. I talked to the secretary at the police station and it is sitting on the chiefs desk for a signature. 12 weeks is the max waiting period, so I'll probable have it in 3 weeks:crying:.

I brought all the stuff to reload 45 ammo. Figured I could build a nice stock pile during my waiting period. Only problem is I can't find large pistol primers anywhere.

Good luck and enjoy the gun. Look for sales on ammo. There is one by me for 250 rounds for $100. .25 a round is decent.

14. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

Just giving you my sympathy.... a real shame you have to wait for a judge and all that. Good luck when it arrives...

Iv looked online everywhere, every link posted, and the cheapest ammo by far is wallmart....

i get 40 cal federal for $14/50

They have 9mm Blazers for $9.99/50

15. cooden

cooden

I buy my ammo from them as well. I just got in 1000 rounds of .40 for the range.

16. MattHappyTrails

MattHappyTrails

Bunker,

We left NYS in '76 due to restrictive gun laws.
    Look in "Bargain Shopper" on this site. I have 550 roounds of HSM .45Acp for sale.

Matt

17. SagKC

SagKC

Congrats on your new G30!

18. das9mm26

das9mm26

Another CONGRATS on the 30!! You'll LOVE it!!
    However.....:ack: on having to wait so long to GET it!!
    I'd be like a kid just before Christmas....BUMMER!!
    Oh, well......at least the wait gives you time to find some ammo....
    Others have given links to good sites...Just be wary of shipping charges; they CAN be a deal-breaker on "too-good-to-be-true" priced stuff....
    Kinda crazy to pay $50 or so for $100 worth of ammo.....
    Good luck!

19. kennjen

kennjen

Hello and congrats from Rockland county, NY...!!

Don't feel bad about waiting few weeks for your gun. I'm almost 6 month in for my wait to get my PITA to get permit still !! I suspect it will be another 3 ~ 6 month.

I suspect you went thorugh that hoop in varying degree too. How long was your wait for your permit then ??

BTW, What county takes 3 weeks to add a gun to your permit ??

20. Bunker

Bunker

I waited five weeks or so once my paperwork was in for my original liscense... not too bad all considering. I live in Broome county... thank God we have a judge that issues carry permits. I am taking the course this weekend to be eligible to apply for my carry permit. It teaches gun safety, the law, and some other goodies... i hate to say it, but the class is probably a good for everyone to take, but it should be free, or a minimal charge. I have to pay $200 for the class, and then have to bring a strong side belt holster, 150 rounds, two speed loaders (for my smith that i am taking the class with). In the end it will cost me easily $300 just to apply for the carry permit. Gotta love NYS. Oh well... im sure the gangbangers downtown go through the same process.... Bunker