close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Officially DQ'ed from the military.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KenBGlock19, Mar 18, 2010.

1. KenBGlock19

KenBGlock19 SEMPER PARATUS

Well, it's taken 10 years to get the answer I pretty much knew was coming.

I was born with an eye condition called Congenital Stationary Night Blindness. I have a very rare case of the "incomplete" version (meaning I don't have the full-blown case). Basically, I adjust completely to the dark, it just takes me about 2x longer than the average bear. Because this was so rare, nobody knew what to do with me regarding the military.

So, my USCG buddy had connections with the top Commander of USCG MEPS and forwarded an email that I wrote him to the CDR. Got a VERY quick response (surprisingly) and cut through all of the red tape in two days after struggling for 10 years to get a straight answer.

Unfortunately, because my condition contains the words "Night Blindness," I'm disqualified from joining any branch of the military. Really bummed about that. All I've ever wanted to do was serve my country and now my stupid eyes have sealed that avenue off once and for all. Can't even push a desk for 'em.

As far as I know, there is no waiver system for this condition. The effed-up part of it all is that I'm an FAA licensed pilot and have a resume' that would impress Chesty Puller himself. Seems that everything I've ever wanted to do gets deep-six'ed by these ******* eyes.

I'm grateful to have a definitive answer and will continue to support the US Military 110%, but I'd be a liar if I didn't say I was a tad bitter right now toward the whole thing. I think that I'm just more pissed-off that I can't do anything about it. Not one. Damn. Thing.

/rant.

2. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I'm the same way. I am 4F from asthma, and other ailments. Sucks, this is the first major conflict my family hasn't been in for a long time, dating back to the revolution I think the family only missed 1812 and Korea.

3. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

What about Law Enforcement, Fire or EMS? I would also bet that if you have some form of State defense forces, they will let you join.

There are many ways to Serve

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

That's a damn shame. We would have been stronger with you in the military. Thanks for trying to serve. :patriot:

5. KenBGlock19

Everything's up in the air with the LEO thing, too. Currently trying my damnedest, but nobody can get me answers on that either. The issue I have with LEO is that I'm not corrected to 20/20 and never will be due to this eyesight issue. The best I am and will ever be is 20/30-35 cumulatively (meaning both eyes together). With my glasses off, I'm useless.

6. KenBGlock19

Thanks, LW...I definitely can't say I didn't try. Tried for the past 10 years...just really sucks - I still had hope until today.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Sorry to hear that Ken. Be a good citizen, a good dad, (I know you already are!) and as Rabbi suggests, see if you can serve locally.

Best of luck.

'Drew

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Crap, I thought my 20/100 in one eye uncorrected was bad. :faint: At least I get up to 20/20 on warm days. :embarassed:

9. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

When it comes to LE, sometimes people look the other way with some things. Will they for you, I dont know but like most things in life it either involves "who you know" OR, be willing to work where no one else wants to (you will make no money)

I have a friend who only has one eye and still became an LEO. Hell, there are Cops with only one leg.

Dont give up. Just be willing to expand your horizons.

10. Bruce H

Bruce H

Become a politician. Blindness of any sort doesn't seem to affect them. Pays well too.:supergrin:

11. KenBGlock19

Thanks, Drew - I really appreciate that. Currently checking the local LE reserves, but very few agencies have them here in CT. The closest is over an hour away and they're just the "Special Police." They made it sound like they rode to work on the short bus, so we'll see how that all pans-out.

12. banjobob

banjobob

the way things are going in washington, we could always use you here in the Republic of Texas militia

13. KenBGlock19

That's the crap that I've been trying to explain to people for years. There are airline pilots with one eye, for Christ's sake. I have two OK eyes and they still give me ****.

I volunteer with a local Cub Scout Pack and they're touring the local PD end of the month. Going to see who I can talk to about applying, etc while we're there.

14. KenBGlock19

Ain't that the truth!

15. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I'm sorry bro. I too wanted to join up for the military, but my hearing loss prevented that. I developed severe nerve damage in both ears as a child, and I wear hearing aids in both. I'm only completely deaf in my left ear, with about 70% hearing in my right, but with the Aids, I didn't qualify for any branch of the service. It sucks, I know. Trust me: I really know.:hugs:

16. KenBGlock19

I'm sorry to hear that, buddy. Sounds like we're in the same boat.

17. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Just be the best person you can be and you will serve your country!

18. Z1232K

Z1232K Heavy Hauler CLM

Sorry to hear that...

I went throught the same thing when I was 21. Slight hearing loss kept me from the USAF. I was all bummed out for quite a while. Got desperate and tried the Marine Corp, Navy and finally the Army and still got turned away.

19. KenBGlock19

Yup, I tried the USMC first (back in HS), got essentially accepted to the USNA and was turned away at the pre-physical after 1.5 years of application processes (including a congressional appointment), and then tried all the others. The Navy wouldn't even let me be a freakin' clerk.

20. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

As far as I know, I believe the CG is much harder to get in than say, the Army.

When I went to MEPS, my recruiter told me to STFU, don't volunteer info, and stick short quick answers to questions asked during medical.

I wouldn't think "night blindness" would bar you from military service but I wouldn't know. I do hope that you try to get in. Don't walk away from a dream just because of an email from one person you've never met.

You haven't been to MEPS so you are NOT officially disqualified!