Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 371 Posts
I finally got a doe with my 20sf earlier this evening! After being in the stand for over three hours without seeing a single deer, I heard what I thought was a squirrel walking in a ditch directly behind me. I had sprayed some Shinola juice on the foliage around my treestand earlier. I heard the scurrying noise until the light had all but disappeared. When the "squirrel" surfaced from the ditch and into the cornfield, it was in fact a nice whitetail doe! She clearly had no idea of my presence as I made the decision to forgo the rifle and grabbed the Glock. I took aim at her left shoulder and fired. She dropped instantly! I hit high and took out her spine. I paced the shot at approximately 33yds.

The pistol was a Glock 20sf with the 6" hunting barrel. The ammunition was good ole factory Winchester Silvertips! The bullet came to rest just under the surface of the skin on the opposite shoulder. I removed it with a knife and took pics. It expanded almost perfectly. I'll try to post some pics, but most of them are crappy.
Good job :thumbsup:

Discussion starter · #26 · (Edited)
Any details on the load? I'm trying to work up the 200XTP for deer this year too.
I'm using a 200gr XTP over 9.5gr 800X in new Winchester brass using CCI300 primers, each round hand-weighed and double checked. This is from a 6" Fusion Hunter with a ramped and fully supported barrel. This load makes 1300fps AVERAGE from my longslide. I won't shoot this load in my stock Glock 20. It was worked up in my Fusion only.

You could probably get by just fine with only 9.3gr 800x (1275 avg from the same 6" bbl).

The deer I've killed with 10mm were both with a 200gr XTP at about 1140-1150fps so my load THIS year is quite a bit stronger.

This weekend I took my son hog hunting in Tennessee and decided I would try my luck with a pistol. I actually ordered this gun in 10mm to use it as an all around gun and after this trip I may just sell my 45s.

I had originally planned on shooting a smaller hog in the 150 pound range, but when this guy stepped out at around 12 yards the guide and I decided he was the one!

At the first shot he fell over and squealed and we all agreed he was done for, however as we approached he got up and headed our direction. Not a charge so much but a fairly unsteady trot. The guide didn't want to chase him as it was getting dark so as he trotted past I put another round in him on the opposite side. He went about another 15 yards thru a corn field with Bright Red Blood spraying out of both sides. When he flopped over I did put a finisher at the base of his skull for insurance, but it wasn't really necessary.

I used a 200 grain XTP over a charge of Blue Dot that gives me a little over 1150 FPS. Both shots penetrated the chest cavity and expanded perfectly. One bullet penetrated fully and the other stopped just under the skin. When they gutted the hog the gentleman performing the work thought I had used a .270.

Any questions just ask!!

IMG_0127 by White Tiger Photographic, on Flickr

Added here in case this gets to be a sticky!!

We have unlimited antlerless around here. $7 apiece. Surely, one will come my way. I ordered a 10 round G20 mag last year, and have a 6" LWD. I'm thinking Swampfox 200gr.

Congrats on the hawg! That sounds like a bit more fun.

Ammo ordered. A buddy is going to take me on his family's land if I buy him some tags. No problemo.

Hunting season here is a measly 12 days away. I have a really nice log cabin ground blind that I spent some time building earlier in the autumn. An apple pile is about 50' away and deer have been munching on them like crazy - like they could care less about the blind.

This is going to be a good hunt and I would think presents a great op. for my 10mm deer slaying fun.

I only have a doe permit, but I must add that I just saw a nice 6-8 point buck 25y or so from my blind about half an hour ago. Definitely in the rut.

Discussion starter · #32 · (Edited)
Hunting season here is a measly 12 days away. I have a really nice log cabin ground blind that I spent some time building earlier in the autumn. An apple pile is about 50' away and deer have been munching on them like crazy - like they could care less about the blind.

This is going to be a good hunt and I would think presents a great op. for my 10mm deer slaying fun.

I only have a doe permit, but I must add that I just saw a nice 6-8 point buck 25y or so from my blind about half an hour ago. Definitely in the rut.
Nice. Most years I really feel like I'm going into my opening day hunt pretty BLIND (no pun intended). I don't have any way to scout my area in the preceding months so I can't really pattern many deer other than what Dad sees on his walks or from the truck. I DO have the advantage of a really good knowledge of the big woods there (having lived and hunted the area for years), as well as a GREAT Lone Wolf climber that gives me great mobility as to where I can hunt... however, most of the time, my hunts are based on my studies of topo maps I have of the area, discussions with my step-brother of where HE'S seen them, plus, what I actually see while out in the woods starting at first light on opening day. Usually, its a scientific-wild--***-guess where to go on opening morning but I get a feel for it as the days pass that I'm out in the field. To top it all off, the deer herd in SW Missouri is pretty meager so its a tough hunt each year.

Still, I CAN'T WAIT!!! I leave for out of town next Thursday after work!!

Wish Indiana let the 10 be legal for deer.
It has been my experience that the F+G rule-makers are well educated, very experienced, and highly intelligent. :animlol:

If they say the deer in your state are too tough to be killed with a 10mm it would be reckless to even try it. :crazy:

I want to poke a hole in that trophy buck with an arrow before I head out with my 10.

Waiting on half hour before sunrise!

21 - 40 of 371 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.