Glock Talk banner

OFFICIAL 10mmAUTO DEER HUNT STORY THREAD

145K views 370 replies 79 participants last post by  21Brutus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow 10-RIngers....

Thought I'd initiate an OFFICIAL 10mm deer hunting story thread. Please ONLY post 10mm hunting results here, pictures preferred. :)

I'll kick it off with my hunts from last season and a year or two before that.

---------------------------------------------------------------
NOV 2008:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all,

Just thought I'd tell everyone about my first deer kill with a handgun... and not just ANY handgun but my CZ/DW Razorback 10mm!

I got this little button buck while still hunting on the low, thick side of a mountain here in SW Missouri. The hill, mostly covered in cedar, pines and thick briars with patches of light green grass in between, is a haven for deer trying to escape the cold, northern wind during the rut. Took this guy at about 15 yards away from a half crouched, half sitting postion using Doubletap 200gr Controlled Expansion (XTP) loads (1150fps actual velocity from my 5" barrel).

First shot punched him through the right side of the chest, a dead center double lung shot. He bolted (as most deer do) and ran uphill right past me where I shot him again. This shot (at about 6 yards) entered right behind his right shoulder, cut through his heart and broke his left leg / shoulder joint on the way out. He kept turning toward me and actually crashed right in front of me about a yard or two away, DRT. (PS... I also took pics of the entrance / exit wounds on the deer after I skinned it but won't be posting them in this thread due to their graphic nature. PM me if interested) Ironically, it had been really cold here for the jlast few days (in the 20's at night and 40's during the days and oftentimes quite windy). I'd been getting up at 5 and out to my stand or location by 615-630 and hunting until dark. The day I got this guy was the day I slept in until 830 and took my time getting out there since I knew that the wind was supposed to change from a chilly northern wind to a warmer southern wind by noon or so. Highs were almost in the 60's this day. I had already hunted about three full days prior to this kill which put it right in the middle range of my week of hunting. Anyways, I guess I just needed to get in there and shake em up a bit near thick cover and their beds rather than sitting on stand. The big woods hunting takes a special technique to even FIND deer, let alone get em within range to kill. Worked well for me this time.

I'm also including some pics of the processing of the buck. I was familiar with

how to skin and process a deer but my step-mom had usually taken care of most of the deer processing for me. I decided that I might as well do this one all on my own for the experience and practice. I did the skinning, quartering, butchering on my own this go-round. Also, I decided to use both shoulders and both hams entirely for jerky since my wife doesn't really like venison. (I still kept my tenderloins, of course). I ended up with just a HAIR under 4lbs of finished, teryaki flavored deer jerky to take home. AHHHH.... just wait till the coworkers and friends have a taste. Its perfect!!

See less See more
#3 ·
----------------------------------------------------------
November 2010:
----------------------------------------------------------

Hey all... just thought I'd post a pic of a nice buck I snagged here on opening day here in SW Missouri.

I had been in my climber about 15 feet up on a ridge in the deep woods in my hunting area since about first light, maybe 6:15am. It had been a slow morning with not much forest activity other than some gusty winds. I hadn't seen a single squirrel or any other animal all morning. Around 8:30-8:40am, all at once, I caught the fleeting glimpse of a line of five to six does running from my 2 o'clock to my 10 o'clock about 50 yards out through lots of brush. Behind them Pwas a buck with a decent sized body and a smaller rack (common here in this area due to lack of nutrients or simply total deer numbers, we believe). My heart started pumping and I cursed to myself that I hadn't seen them come up in the draw and over the ridge I was on. I quickly grabbed my grunt tube and let out a few grunts brrrrp bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp brrrrrrrrrrrrrp brrrrp brrrrp and quickly let go of my call to ready for any potention new shot in the next few minutes or hours. Not 5 minutes after all of this, I spot a deer coming towards me through the thick brush about 45 yards over the ridge to me. Heart REALLY pounding now, I extend my arms a bit and snick off the safety to my Dan Wesson Razorback and settle in a bit just in case I get a good shot. I tell myself.... CHILL OUT, BREATHE SLOWLY... concentrate on what I've been practicing at the range for the last two months... breaathhe...... by now the buck that's coming in is walking slowly and putting his nose down to smell... but he's coming almost directly at me! At about 25-30 yards he stops and turns broadside.... once again, my heart is pounding so hard at this point that I can see it in my vision. He slowwwly takes steps moving to my right, broadside and stopping frequently. I find a hole in the brush and place my front Fiber Optic sight on his front right shoulder and concentrate on both IT as well as the hole in my brush and the buck's movement (and any pauses in that movement). At just the right time, I veryyyy easily start rearward pressure on the trigger and wait on the surprise break and following recoil. At the report of the Doubletap 200gr XTP 10mm load, my 1911 recoils hard and, when it returns to battery, the buck is down hard and has dropped like a stone with this shot to the upper chest lower neck area. Not a perfectly optimal area but apparently, quite effective in this case. I take some more breaths and try to catch my breath and steady my hand due to the rush and sit there another few minutes to calm myself before even ATTEMPTING to pull out my phone and call my hunting partner to let him know of my harvest. I ended up taking one more shot because I saw the buck try and lift his head about a minute after the first shot. The second shot, placed as carefully as the first, impacted in the center of the chest. After about 10 minutes (and seeing no movement) I took my time climbing down the tree I was in and walked up to my deer. The first shot appeared to have exited, however, the second shot did not (at least that I could tell). Honestly, I think I might switch to Doubletap's 200gr Beartooth WFN load as I want all of my shots to penetrate and exit EVERY TIME. While the XTP did a fine job putting this decently sized deer down, I'm concerned that his heavier bone structure might have stopped the XTP short (on the second shot) just a tiny bit. (Normally, I dress, skin, quarter, and butcher my own deer, however, this year I was unable to hang this guy anywhere and had no time to do the butchering so we took him in to be processed. I probably won't find out where the bullet went because of this). Still, it's important to note that the XTP did a fine job. I just want an exit every time, even through bones.

Here are a few pics... hope you enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicke10mm/5174571752/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicke10mm/5174571740/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicke10mm/5174571762/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicke10mm/5174571780/

#6 · (Edited)
Nice Nick! The only deer I shot with a pistol was with a S&W Mod. 29 44Mag with 8 3/8" barrel iron sights, the shot was at 180 yards thru the lungs & heart. I was much younger and 10mm wasn't avalible then. I did finish off a wounder doe with the only Winchester 200 gr Black Talon I shoot, hit her at the base of the skull at the neck , that bullet spiraled down the neck and stoped in the left front shoulder. Classic Black Talon expansion which sliced and diced the neck muscels with the spiraled pattern.

However the last 6 point I shot was taken with a Hornady 200grain XTP in a sabot from my 45 cal. Winchester APEX Muzzle loader, muzzel velocity was 2000 fps and found its mark at 130 yards to the rear of the right front shoulder, busted rib in and deflated both lungs, small cut along the heart, broke a rib on the farside coming to rest just under the hide on the left side. BTW, just before I started writing this I ate some Cajun seasoned and smoked sausage for lunch which came from that one! :eat:
:grill:

Reactions: glockzilla10mm
#7 ·
Waiting on November! I take my MO hunter education course in two weeks.

Reactions: DubfromGA
#9 ·
Thx for sharing. Very nice!
No prob! Remember, these hunts were in 2008 and 2010 and have been here on this and other forums for a while. I just reposted them so maybe we can make this thread a sticky...

We need more reports as opposed to comments! :)

#11 ·
Wow Nick, talk about giving someone the fever! Excellent photos and thanks for starting a very cool thread.

PS; after I saw the meat pics, I instantly became very hungry in a neanderthal way.

#14 ·
What load, Kegs? :50cal:

#19 ·
I think I'm gonna hunt with my 10mm this year. This monster was killed about 500 yards behind my house a few years ago. There's one around here that looks like his younger brother, maybe I'll luck up :cool:

Thats not me in the pic, Hurley Combs is his name. Nice guy.

#20 ·
I finally got a doe with my 20sf earlier this evening! After being in the stand for over three hours without seeing a single deer, I heard what I thought was a squirrel walking in a ditch directly behind me. I had sprayed some Shinola juice on the foliage around my treestand earlier. I heard the scurrying noise until the light had all but disappeared. When the "squirrel" surfaced from the ditch and into the cornfield, it was in fact a nice whitetail doe! She clearly had no idea of my presence as I made the decision to forgo the rifle and grabbed the Glock. I took aim at her left shoulder and fired. She dropped instantly! I hit high and took out her spine. I paced the shot at approximately 33yds.

The pistol was a Glock 20sf with the 6" hunting barrel. The ammunition was good ole factory Winchester Silvertips! The bullet came to rest just under the surface of the skin on the opposite shoulder. I removed it with a knife and took pics. It expanded almost perfectly. I'll try to post some pics, but most of them are crappy.

Attachments

#23 ·
I finally got a doe with my 20sf earlier this evening! After being in the stand for over three hours without seeing a single deer, I heard what I thought was a squirrel walking in a ditch directly behind me. I had sprayed some Shinola juice on the foliage around my treestand earlier. I heard the scurrying noise until the light had all but disappeared. When the "squirrel" surfaced from the ditch and into the cornfield, it was in fact a nice whitetail doe! She clearly had no idea of my presence as I made the decision to forgo the rifle and grabbed the Glock. I took aim at her left shoulder and fired. She dropped instantly! I hit high and took out her spine. I paced the shot at approximately 33yds.

The pistol was a Glock 20sf with the 6" hunting barrel. The ammunition was good ole factory Winchester Silvertips! The bullet came to rest just under the surface of the skin on the opposite shoulder. I removed it with a knife and took pics. It expanded almost perfectly. I'll try to post some pics, but most of them are crappy.
Good job :thumbsup:

#26 · (Edited)
Any details on the load? I'm trying to work up the 200XTP for deer this year too.
I'm using a 200gr XTP over 9.5gr 800X in new Winchester brass using CCI300 primers, each round hand-weighed and double checked. This is from a 6" Fusion Hunter with a ramped and fully supported barrel. This load makes 1300fps AVERAGE from my longslide. I won't shoot this load in my stock Glock 20. It was worked up in my Fusion only.

You could probably get by just fine with only 9.3gr 800x (1275 avg from the same 6" bbl).

The deer I've killed with 10mm were both with a 200gr XTP at about 1140-1150fps so my load THIS year is quite a bit stronger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.