close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Officer fired for taking free merchandise

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by South Fla, Feb 4, 2010.

1. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2018

...\o/...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Hollywood D

Hollywood D

The Obama Express? I wouldnt take anything from there even if it was free

3. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

There is always a fine line it seems concerning the acceptance of free stuff. Looks like a couple felt that it was crossed. I know in my agency we are not allowed to accept gratuities especially from inmate contacts, (yeah there are those who try to give us stuff).

4. snair

snair

what a turd

5. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

6. Elvis269

Elvis269 alive and well

What a turd slug...

7. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

Groceries...WTF
    I think one main underlying factor is that Earle might not have come clean and admit to everything. He may have even lied in an official statement! Regardless, he deserved this.

8. ugly8604

ugly8604

Not a thing in the world wrong with a free cup of coffee or a snickers bar, but 5 days a week and a $200 lotto ticket? C'mon bud. I disagree w/ the discipline, I'd give him days off max.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Gives all of us a bad name. I don't condone it at all. Our badge is not a "100% off coupon".

10. jpa

jpa CLM

This seems to be one of those cultural things. I know in Chicago and the suburbs, accepting a free cup of coffee or a donut or bagel at Dunkin Donuts was a frequent occurrence and nobody batted an eye. Nobody took advantage, everyone understood that the free coffee was a perk not to be abused and that's as far as it went. It was the same thing for Burger King and McDonalds, as well as all the other local shops that used to give us 1/2 off or free food if you dine in. Now you get some dumbass who wants to do all his grocery shopping for the week and not pay for it? If someone did that where I worked, he would be unofficially counseled by his peers and it wouldn't happen again. After doing some digging, I found a likely culprit for why this is a problem at http://www.stpete.org/police/aboutus/accreditation.html

Nobody ever said business owners HAVE to give you anything for free. Nobody held a gun to their head or made threats if they didn't get their free Ho-Hos. If they wish to give you something in appreciation of what you do of their own free will, why does the department need to get involved?

11. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

If you went into the same store in civilian attire would you expect the same treatment? If not...there is your answer.

12. trifecta

trifecta

I ran a restaurant in my previous life and I think there is a huge difference between expecting something and accepting something.

13. CW Mock

CW Mock

What a loser. His last day of duty needs to be serving as the baton dummy on training day before they toss him out the back door into the dumpster.

14. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Had a guy come up to me while I was working an extra job...one of the way to chatty types and give me a business card on the back it said free meal and drink at his resturaunt, I thanked him and as he walked away I tossed it in an nearby garbage can.

His wife saw this and came over said "why did you throw that away", I told her that in my experience folks that gave these things out and spoke the way her husband spoke would expect something from me if he were to get a ticket or "anything", not judging him, but that was generally the way things worked and I did not need a chili cheese dog that bad.
    She smiled and said "well you have my husbands number now you have mine" she gave me her number as she left... I almost kept that one... but I threw it away as well.

later she came by where I was standing and asked if I still had her number , I just asked "what do you think". She smiled looked in the trash can and said something to the effect of unlike my husband I CAN be discreet.......
    JUST SAY NO.

15. Morris

Morris CLM

Oddly enough and very early in my career, I got a beef because I refused to accept a freebie from a business. The owner was insulted up to the point the chief told said business owner that accepting freebies as a cop was grounds for firing.

That was a weird one though because the owner never treated me the same way after.

16. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Yup it's a tough call!
    I was eating at a resturaunt not three weeks ago went to pay my bill and the Waitress said "all taken care of "I said by whom and she told me the man and woman that left 5 minutes ago had lost a son in a LOD death and wanted to thank me for my service... Waitress got two tips and I was humbled beyond words..
    There is a difference when people don't want a quid pro quo and I have no problem being gracious..

17. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

"later she came by where I was standing and asked if I still had her number , I just asked "what do you think". She smiled looked in the trash can and said something to the effect of unlike my husband I CAN be discreet.......
    JUST SAY NO."

How did she look? :whistling: j/k

How can anyone expect you to be professional if you don't act professional!

18. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2018

As far as that goes, this is just one store.

I am wondering how many other stores he did this in.

And btw...this store is in the bad part of town. I am sure that the clerks were glad for the police presence.

Last year, there was a string of Mom & Pop convenience store (like The Obama Express) robberies in southern Pinellas County (not just in St. Pete) where no matter if the bad guys got or not, they were shooting the clerks.

But taking feebies like this is wrong, no matter how you look at it.

19. ArmedNdangerous

ArmedNdangerous

I know of two local convenience stores around here that give officers free drinks. Other restaurants give 50% off meals. They do it so police drop in here and there and it makes the store a "hard target" for robbers. The whole thing works really well so far.

I think there was more to the original story. Giving away all those free groceries and a $200 lottery ticket??? I think bribery may have had something to do with it rather than just a few free items.

20. jenrick

jenrick

I have a gas station in my district that literally the night manger gets angry with me if I attempt to pay. I have to go to the other register to pay for stuff. Part of it's cultural, lots of middle eastern/Asian countries are VERY big on hospitality, and it can be VERY insulting to not accept gifts. Part of it is if you work the same district long enough you become friends with people. I had one guy bring me back a shirt from India when he went to visit his family. I gave him a gift card for Xmas. Violation of policy, probably, do I care? Not really.

-Jenrick