Officer Envolved Shooting Last Night

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by LEO/Dad, May 15, 2018.

1. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

About 8:30 last night, a LEO with our city force made contact with an individual walking on a sidewalk in the SW area of our city. Not a bad area. The media and our police chief reports when the officer exited his vehicle, the individual pulled a weapon and the officer fired on the person. A neighbor reported hearing four gunshots. Officer was not injured, the individual is deceased. State Police is investigating. The officer involved is a veteran. My son was not involved, but is a 20 year veteran of our force working days. We are not a large city department, with approximately 80 employees, but everyone is part of the family, wives are close. We grieve for the incident. It has been several years since we have had a shooting. There is not a conversation I have with my son, that I do not tell him to be careful, and do not take chances, protect yourself, do your job, but remember you have a wife and kids. Our department is well trained, many have their LEA degrees, as my son. My wife and I attended our department's Citizen's Police Academy. A very good program to educate city residents on how their police department functions. Maybe I shouldn't even mention this, but our department switched to 9mm from 40 within the last year. Please support your local law enforcement agencies. They put it on the line each and every day. Thank you.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    n2g, fla2760, larry_minn and 5 others like this.
  2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

3. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Involved

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LEO/Dad and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  4. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Prayers for the officer and his extended family. He and his co workers will be going through a lot from this point on. Let your son know that I support Law Enforcement and the job they are doing.

As for the guy who was shot. F him.

1L26, LEO/Dad, Ramjet38 and 5 others like this.
  5. Bradley T

Bradley T

I work with some real nice guys that protect and serve a hundred percent, and I'm on their side one hundred percent!!

fla2760, LEO/Dad, Ramjet38 and 2 others like this.
  6. Rotn1

Rotn1

Guy pulls a weapon on an officer....... Should have shot him a couple more times.

7. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Even in a good shooting the officer should have a Mental Health evaluation. We do it on the Department I retired from. Talking to a Professional shortly after the incident works wonders for preventing PTSD.

Pass that on to your son. Some Departments do nothing on that aspect and back in the 1970s other cops will buy the officer a bottle of liquor and next thing you know you have an alcohol problem. :cop:

Newcop761 and LEO/Dad like this.
  8. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

You only put shots on target when target is a threat. A "coup de grace" or final shot will put you in prison. :cop:

LEO/Dad, Ross-in-Pa and Rotn1 like this.
  9. HammerG19

HammerG19 A short American.

ISP investigation removes any appearance of CYA. Gives malcontents no place to go.

Hope the officer involved has a good support network.

LEO/Dad likes this.
  10. Rotn1

Rotn1

I know, I just don't want any recidivism......

Newcop761, LEO/Dad and huskerbuttons like this.
  11. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

We have had an update in the shooting investigation; No actual firearm was found at the scene, however the deceased individual did have a pellet gun resembling a handgun. I am posting pictures;
    QUINCY, Ill. (WGEM) -

The Adams County State’s Attorney has released a photo of a weapon involved in Monday nights officer-involved shooting.

Adams County State’s Attorney Gary Farha released two photographs Wednesday afternoon. The first is a photograph of the weapon found next to the deceased at the scene.

The second photograph is a photograph of a Springfield XD, a semi-automatic firearm. Farha confirmed the weapon found at the scene was not a firearm, but was a pellet gun.

The Illinois State Police stated they have completed all interviews with relevant witnesses relating to an officer-involved shooting on Monday and are in the process of preparing reports to be reviewed by the Adams County State’s Attorney’s Office.

The Adams County State’s Attorney’s Office will review the witness statements, physical evidence and other various reports in the near future and determine if any additional action is necessary.

[​IMG]Pellet gun (left) Real gun (right)[​IMG]Pellet Gun[​IMG]

12. redrick

redrick

We also had one at the beginning of the week . The officer was pursuing someone on I-95 in Richmond and the person being pursued crashed his car and got out naked . He came at the officer and would not listen to the officers commands , so the officer used his taser and he still did not stop and kept coming at the officer , so the officer shot him . He died from his gunshot wounds .

This happened during rush hour traffic , around 5:30 pm .

A witness said he got out of the car naked , after his car cashed and he walked onto I-95 and started dancing and slapping his hands on his head , then dropping to the ground and rolling around like he was on fire and trying to put himself out .

Everyone that TV reporters interviewed said how nice the man was . He was a 24 or 25 year old African American , college graduate , with honors and a high school science teacher , that worked two jobs .

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  13. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

I never could figure out why people would pull a pellet or squirt gun on an officer was a good idea.

1L26 likes this.
  14. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

*involved - not envolved

Stupid or suicide by cop in some cases?

15. R9S19

R9S19

My younger brother got into the academy in March 2016, graduated September. The following May one of his classmates, an Army combat vet, was still on FTO and pursued a stolen car for a short time. The 16 year old driver pulled onto a one way street, stopped, and when the rookie cop approached the open drivers door, the kid reversed and pulled the cop under the car, but not before he let off two rounds, one striking the kid in the heart. He died shortly thereafter.

Felt bad for the cop. Did his time in the service, was still on FTO and forced into that mess. Fortunately he came out on top, but of course his name was smeared by the press and protesters. My brother said that unfortunate as it all was, it may be advantageous to his career as cops who get into officer involved shootings and come out on top are normally recruited for the tactical teams on that dept.

16. C_Hallbert

C_Hallbert

They are seeking to end their lives without the moral guilt of suicide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. C_Hallbert

C_Hallbert

I would like to see the Toxicity Screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cherokeewarrior and Redeemed like this.
  18. redrick

redrick

Yeah , it makes you wonder if he was teaching school that day and if so , what he was doing and if anyone noticed him acting strangely .

19. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

If our shooting involved an African American we all know everything would now be different. We know from past shootings across America. Our local media tracked down an AA who is a member of our Human Rights Commission. With a camera and microphone in his face, his comment was "The community could lose trust in our PD", this statement was made before it was announced what weapon was found at the scene.

20. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

As I stated, our cops are like family. My son and family live in a new neighborhood, and two other cops w/families live on same street.