Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
27,989 Posts

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
If a Taser didn't stop him, and he is "charging the cop", is factual, I'm having problems with this.........

·
Florist
20,207 Posts
Ferrell crashed his vehicle into the woods, climbed out of his car and walked a half-mile to the nearest house. He began “banging on the door viciously.”

The woman who answered the door thought Ferrell was a burglar and called police shortly after 2:30 a.m. to report an attempted break-in.

Kerrick and two other responding officers surrounded Ferrell, who “immediately charged” at the police. One officer tried unsuccessfully to subdue Ferrell with a taser.

(Ferrel) “immediately charged toward the three officers, one in particular. That officer in particular fired his weapon several times, striking the individual multiple times."
If the article is even partially accurate and correct, I'm scratching my head for the reason behind being charged. There's probably a whole lot of backstory that's not presented here.

Jonathan Ferrell, a 24-year-old former Florida A&M University football player, was shot multiple times.
Being attacked by a 24 year old former football player who's still in his physical prime, at 02:30 dark, after getting a 9-1-1 call about a burglary break in, and the taser having no effect, should set the tone of this call for police service.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
The facts need to settle out on this before I'd comment based upon initial reports.

·
Registered
18,119 Posts
Hmmmm.....I would love to find a link with more details. Looking at the nature of the call and the reported actions when the 3 officers arrived just does not add up with "he had a wreck and was just looking for help". I mean, I have responded to many wrecks and have never had an involved party charge at me and continue charging after an attempted tase who was just looking for help.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
It smells of a zealous prosecutor. I also looked at the photographs. I suggest their may be additional motivators here as well.

We still remember a naked, crazed and drugged man who tackled, extracted a deputy's handgun and then executed him at near point blank range around here. http://www.odmp.org/officer/16311-deputy-sheriff-richard-anthony-herzog

Just because they are unarmed does not mean they are not dangerous Chief Monroe.

·
Registered
32,892 Posts
It smells of a zealous prosecutor. I also looked at the photographs. I suggest their may be additional motivators here as well.

We still remember a naked, crazed and drugged man who tackled, extracted a deputy's handgun and then executed him at near point blank range around here. http://www.odmp.org/officer/16311-deputy-sheriff-richard-anthony-herzog

Just because they are unarmed does not mean they are not dangerous Chief Monroe.
About 30 years ago a sheriff's deputy in a nearby county was killed when he and 5 other deputies were fighting a 5150. The 5150 got a gun away from one of the deputies and killed him.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hmmmm.....I would love to find a link with more details. Looking at the nature of the call and the reported actions when the 3 officers arrived just does not add up with "he had a wreck and was just looking for help". I mean, I have responded to many wrecks and have never had an involved party charge at me and continue charging after an attempted tase who was just looking for help.
Id also love to get a toxicology report on the driver.

·
Registered
18,119 Posts
Id also love to get a toxicology report on the driver.
That is the strange part....it is a vital piece of the puzzle that won't be available for a few weeks minimum yet they decide to arrest in 19 hours.

Bottom line is wreck victims looking for help don't charge first responders after fighting through a Taser.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
That is the strange part....it is a vital piece of the puzzle that won't be available for a few weeks minimum yet they decide to arrest in 19 hours.

Bottom line is wreck victims looking for help don't charge first responder after fighting through a Taser.
This. Something isn't adding up here.

·
Why so serious?
66,269 Posts
Colorful case for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
There is wayyyy more to this story.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It would be premature for me to speculate or comment now, based on all the holes in the story not yet filled in... but I'll be very interested in seeing what else we learn in future weeks/months on this one.

·
Massive Member
25,730 Posts
Could be diabetes issues cause the crash and odd behavior after. How about head trauma from crash?

Sometimes the bad guy in a situation is the situation itself, and not one of the actors involved.

Having said that, why wait for facts to come out before charging the officer involved, right? Saves a lot of time that way, and they can always have that same newspaper clear the officers name later on page 40983 at the bottom of the page if it turns out to be justified.... : steamed:

What are the odds of suing the folks involved for malicious prosecution or similar if the officer turns out to be justified? Immunity apply?

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
NRA Life Member
67,025 Posts
http://news.yahoo.com/ferrell-kerrick-police-unarmed-shooting-charlotte-191520307.html

Disclaimer: Not LEO. Not former LEO.

Details sketchy, but looks like this guy is getting tossed under the bus by his department.
I read an article on it this morning (last night fdor you guys). Reading betweeen the lines, it looks like 2 factors not expresssly stated in what I read were: (1) something wrong with the driver, either drugs or alcohol (a guy who was knocking on your door to get some help doesn't fight his way through a Taser shot), and (2) probably some of the standard exaggeration on the 911 call, that people commonly throw in either to make the poliice come faster or because they are hysterical nuts.

·
NRA Life Member
67,025 Posts
Could be diabetes issues cause the crash and odd behavior after. How about head trauma from crash?
Could be, but the statistically most likely cause of a car wreck at night, combined with strange behavior, is alcohol or drugs, by such a wide margin that head injuries and diabetes are hardly worth considering.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I can only wonder how those in charge who decided to charge this officer would have otherwise seduced the deceased into submission.

1 - 20 of 320 Posts