Glock Talk banner

Offering vehicle info help

300 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  ASE Master
I am an ASE Master Tech, retired, and especially knowledgeable about 2000 to 2006 GM Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades and the trucks in those years. I have an annual membership to ALLDATAdiy.com. I also belong to a forum where I can get info if I am stumped. I also have knowledge of the other makes and models but will not be as quick to respond if have to do some research. I was in the business for 35+ years, 10 as a tech and the rest as a service manager. This is my low mileage 2005 Z71 Tahoe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
382 Posts
I am an ASE Master Tech, retired, and especially knowledgeable about 2000 to 2006 GM Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades and the trucks in those years. I have an annual membership to ALLDATAdiy.com. I also belong to a forum where I can get info if I am stumped. I also have knowledge of the other makes and models but will not be as quick to respond if have to do some research. I was in the business for 35+ years, 10 as a tech and the rest as a service manager. This is my low mileage 2005 Z71 Tahoe.

View attachment 948341

View attachment 948342

View attachment 948343
I no longer own the vehicle but I had a 2003 4wd Suburban that was the perfect vehicle for me except for one thing.

The electronic throttle they switched to that year starting screwing up at around 220K miles and sending it into limp mode, sometimes several times a day.

Apparently this problem was very common and all of the "fixes" were tried.

Several mechanics worked on it including a GM dealership mechanic. Replaced throttle body a few times, replaced wiring, checked grounds throughout the vehicle, etc. but it never was corrected.

I ended up selling it too cheap just to get it out of the driveway after spending a year messing with it.

I often wondered if there was a "fix" that myself or none of the mechanics could figure out and I cannot make myself buy another GM truck because of that experience.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

· Banned
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typically the throttle body replacement did the trick. IMO, if they went several times to correct the problem and could not fix it, it was likely a ground problem thru the ECM. Those types of problems are very rare but the other problems that caused intermittent problems was the grounds on these rigs. At the forum we designed and came up with a fix for those as well. We called it the Big 3.

Reactions: O4L
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.