close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Offered a ride while out jogging this morning

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BikerGoddess, Oct 28, 2002.

1. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

I go for a walk/jog several times a week at 5. This morning, a guy stops to ask if I need a ride ;P

I was in front of the fire station when he passed. Right past me, he honked, then turned around and came back to ask if he could give me a ride somewhere. I'm in running attire with a Walkman and there's no broken down car in sight. ;Q

I noted his license plate number (they're in the front too in Texas), said "No." and waited until he turned around again before continuing. Thought about stopping at the Citgo and reporting it, but figured he hadn't done anything yet, so I'd just keep the info and watch the crime reports.

Think I should give up on the outdoor activities for awhile or change my route or just plan to give him a nasty surprise should I see him again?

Laura

2. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Hi Laura,

I'm an avid outdoor exerciser myself...had something really scary happen to me (that's how I came to own a Glock). Anyways...I wouldn't modify your lifestyle around this particular incident. I would change my route and perhaps vary the times slightly so "he" doesn't follow you home or know your schedule. Carry some mace and let that "print" through your shirt or whatever. Bring along a charged cell phone, you can always jot down the plate number using the scratch pad feature on the phone. I posted something on one of Shoeless' threads...you may want to check her thread regarding "creepy guys on my walk"....i think this is the link...

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=106045&highlight=creepy+guys+on+my+walk

3. AAshooter

AAshooter

Seriously, he may have just been trying to help . . . some people are pretty clueless. He may not of made the running connection. Play it safe anyway.

4. techie

techie WJLL

I was thinking the same thing...but maybe she thought this way about him because of his demeanor. I don't mean to make light of what you experienced Laura but from what you've described it seemed like a harmless encounter. Was there something else about what happened that bothered you?

5. BikerGoddess

It'll sound stupid though....

Right before this (maybe 100 yards) a rabbit ran out to the sidewalk and stopped for about 5 seconds and looked at me. He ran straight back (perpendicular to the street) into some weeds. About 25 feet later I see a rabbit again who runs along the sidewalk for a bit then veers off back into the lot.

I have never seen rabbits out here before and I know there's a large population of feral cats nearby. What freaked me out was that I was wondering if they (it) were some sort of sign or something, then 100 yards later this happens. (Too much John Edward, I'm afraid)

One other thing that stood out to me was that the guy's voice didn't match what he was driving (I swear I'm not doing drugs). It was very well modulated and cultured and seemed out of place.

I don't want to discourage anyone from stopping to help people, but I guess I don't understand how he could think it was a good idea to stop, given the circumstances.

Laura

6. techie

techie WJLL

Well you were there and you gotta go on your own instincts; arm chair quarterbacking is not good enough in what can be a life and death situation.

7. AAshooter

AAshooter

Trust those instincts . . . that's 1,000,000 years of evolution working on your side.

8. piersol

piersol

Maybe he just wanted to meet you, and he figured that would be the easiest way? Just a thought.

9. PatrolMom

PatrolMom

1. Cell phone..check
    2. Pepper spray..check
    3. Running shoes..check
    4. Gut radar on..check
    5. Changing routes..check
    6. Big mouth God gave ya..check

Okay, now yer ready. Pay particular attention to #4. When your brain fails ya, yer gut won't. Listen up! ;f

10. QB

QB

May have been innocent but I somehow doubt it. There are lots of joggers in the Dallas area (they're everyone ;Q) that are out early in the morning. The fact that you:

(1) were wearing jogging clothes
    (2) had on a walkman
    (3) were out in the early morning hours (which is a favorite time for joggers in this area)

makes it hard for me to think that this person was trying to be "helpful".

I am surprised, however, that he'd honk, especially in front of a firestation.

Asking someone if they need a ride is somewhat of an unusual occurance in the DFW area I think (just based on my personal opinion after having lived here since 1973). Thinking that a woman would actually get into his car is beyond belief which again makes me leary of his intentions. Again just based on the fact that I don't know one guy that would think he could offer a ride to a stranger (woman) and actually have her accept (well.....my dad does but he's 81 and lives in a much different world than we do...).

As sad as it is, we're living in a world where you just can't perform random acts of kindness anymore.

Certainly I'd just keep the license plate tucked away but then again, what if this guy later harms some other female? What a tough call....gets down to gut feeling about the person. I called the Carrollton police about a suspicious guy once and told them that I just wanted to call so that it would be a matter of record (I didn't file a complaint or anything but I guess my phone call itself is logged or something). They seemed appreciative that I let them know although I made it clear that it was just a "feeling" I had and nothing more.

I used to have a job where we were told to vary our route to/from work among other things. I'd think that you would certainly want to change your route and/or time for a while at least.

11. PatrolMom

PatrolMom

QB, you hit several nails on the head. The one that rises to the top is the fact that what man in his right mind would be asking a woman to get in his car and expect that she do so, in this day and age?

I think BGs BS meter was dead on.

12. BikerGoddess

QB - he was around my age and I would guess Mexican by looks, but his voice really surprised me. Not a hint of an accent (although all he said was "Do you need a lift?").

The firestation apparently has a 'changing of the guards' around 5 and it was probably 5:10 by the time I made it that far. The honk was more of a beep like people do when someone's jacking around in their car and not watching the lights :). He turned around at the break in the median to get to the station house and came back.

I did think about how the next girl might not be prepared if he hadn't accepted 'No', but I didn't really see any way to prevent it. He asked if I needed a ride. Hardly criminal. And they've not indicated a serial rapist in my area for about a year now. I'll hang onto the description for awhile, just in case.

This morning I stayed inside and did a tape instead. I'll head out later tomorrow morning on a different course (normal route is around the block, but part of that is access road for a highway and gets really, really busy at 6). Someone would be hard pressed to follow my schedule closely, though, since I'm not sure what I'm doing until I do it ;)

Thanks for the advice.
    Laura

13. Kilroy

Kilroy JAFMP Millennium Member

Intuition strikes again. You made some good observations and probably have some unconcious ones that figure into this as well.
    Good thinking, good analysis and good tactics.

One thing noted by cop killers and the co-workers of the murdered officers was the diligent efforts of the victims to find the "good" in everyone. Every person is not always good, some are just plain evil and many you can't find out about unless you are their victim.

14. Glock21Owner

Glock21Owner NRA Life Member

I think that from this one instance there's too little to judge this guy on. Guys look for opportunities to meet women, and even though this came off as a little strange (you were jogging after all), I wouldn't be quick to label him a Ted Bundy.

15. Scarlett

Scarlett

Just a thought...

Back in the days when I was a 'ho for the city, working vice, guys stopping and asking lone ladies if they needed a ride was the street talk opener for further negotiations. In our area, the working girls often wear workout clothes as an excuse for walking up and down the same sidewalk 256 times in an hour, when the police stop and ask them why they seem to be in the same area all the time. "I'm not loitering, Officer, this is a part of my exercise program recommended by my personal trainer, Pimp Daddy G."

BK, I'm saying you look like a working girl, but hope and other things spring eternal in a, uh, lonely guy's mind. He may have thought he'd give it a shot, so to speak, if you don't do the street response thing, he knows you're not working. Many of the guys who got popped for solicitation would say, dang it, I knew she was a cop but I had to give it a try.

Especially given your intuition about him...of all the guys I dealt with back in the vice days, there was just something about the way the players looked out of their eyes, their body language and demeanor that wasn't the same as a good samaritan.

Be careful out there!
    Scarlett

16. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

"Do you need a lift?"

I agree with Glock21Owner - the question itself is pretty neutral, absent a factual context or apparent circumstance that suggests it's really a pretext for something sinister (like if you'd approached the car and saw a knife on the front seat or if he followed you). So, yeah, I wouldn't assume that every guy who makes a courteous gesture is another Ted Bundy. (That's the kind of broad-brush, collectivistic labeling that man-hating feminists engage in).

Still, with something like this you have to go with what your "gut" tells you (or is it "intuition"? ;) ). It's always better to be safe than sorry. So no one can say you made the "wrong" decision by declining his offer.

17. BikerGoddess

Well, at the very least it defeats the purpose of running ;f

Actually, I was wondering if it were enough to change my route/schedule for. Routes are fairly limited and most of them don't have street lights, so I don't like those this time of year. But I'm not too keen on being attacked, either, even if it's well-lit ;)

I hadn't thought about the prostitute angle (oddly enough) but it does kinda seem to fit. 5am seems a strange time, but I can't say I really know much about that.

Laura

18. PatrolMom

PatrolMom

Hahahahahaha! That's my favorite way to run! hehe;f ;P

19. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I tend to throw the "rabbit" idea out the window,but i would stay alert when jogging--because it sounds strange-The guy asking if he can drive you somewhere.If i were you,i would not even get near the vehicle.;)

20. Kolchak

Kolchak cries easily

Most of the suggestions given have been right on, but I would
    suggest that you lose the Walkman. Keep your ears and your eyes
    open. Move away from any situation that feels bad without staying
    around to find out if you are right. Trust no one. Better to err on
    the side of caution than to find out, too late, that you were right.

Take care and stay safe.