close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

offensive word

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Mowser, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Mowser

Mowser

Can someone tell me why the user Cletus VanDamme is allowed to have the word dyke under his avatar. This word is offensive and hateful. Can I start using hate speech towards people that I don't like?

2. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Why do you assume that we have seen the tag line and approve? While we are discussing inconsiderate behavior, why couldn't you give us the benefit of the doubt that we had NOT seen it and simply reported it, without the histrionics? Now that I am aware of the problem, I will deal with it.

3. Mowser

Mowser

Well it has been there for a while so I have to assume that moderators have seen it and not cared. How long do you think the N word would have been under someone's avatar? This site is full of sexist and homophobic crap that never gets censored. How about the words under Daisycutter's avatar "working for poon" This is just one more example of this. I am sure moderators have seen this also and done nothing. I have had enough of the good ol' boys club and will move on to a site where all americans are treated fairly because this is obviously not the place.

4. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

Mowser, all the Moderators and Administrators HAVE JOBS. We monitor this place so folks like you can enjoy it. We DON'T read every post and look at every avatar. It's impossible. We have about a dozen Moderators for 70,000 plus people. Members have to let us know if they see something that is against the rules by hitting that 'Report this post to a moderator' icon at the bottom of the offending post.

I know people say "Put more Moderators on duty". That's not so easy. You have to find people with the right temperment. It's way too easy to lose your temper when dealing with folks who have their own prejudices and are biased.

You can't win, really. I hear all the time about other sites that ban you for the slightest dispute or wayward post. They call the Mods on that site "Jack Booted Thugs'. Then you'll hear about sites that don't police at all, and they have people running rampant with flame wars.

I hear everyday that this place is extraordinarily peaceful compared to most other sites. They also tell us we give folks enough leeway to be able to communicate and voice their opinions. You are never going to get everyone to agree on everything, whether it's in real life or on a website like this. If you think that's possible, you are really looking through rose colored glasses.

If you want to move along to another site because you think that they would be more agreeable, I say good luck in your search.

Also, if you find it, let us Moderators know here, so we can join too.

Thanks and good luck,
    Eddie C.