close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Off-topic: Superman returns

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, Jun 29, 2006.

1. theTactician

theTactician

Superman returns...
    well, for one thing he did and yet i believe they could've made the movie a lot better than it already is. CG's are great and really state of the art. But, i like the old superman movies. I was just kinda disappointed that they didnt even show there "In memory of Christopher reeve..who made us believe that a man can fly"..its supposed to be a tribute to chris reeve who once embodied the superman persona. I guess, there's no one else who can replace the late mr. reeves as "superman/clark kent". Its just like saying, there's only one michael jordan in the NBA, kobe, lebron, and all the newcomers just emulate him.
    I've always been a superman fan ever since i was a kid. i remembered watching it when i was a little boy and saw how people in the theater stood up, clapping their hands when they saw the man of steel save lois and catch a falling helo (helicopter). It was awesome.
    In superman returns, they tried doing that too. You know, tried to bring that "whoa", "awesome" effect when superman tried saving the doomed plane lois was riding on. What can i say, "spectacular special effects", awesome flying, like in the comics, like how superman should fly but i dont know, it didnt have that "wow", "awesome" effect that superman 1 had during the late 70's. Its probably coz, back then, in the 70's they didnt have the technology yet but eventhough, that was so, people stood up in the theater and superman won the hearts of moviegoers and fanatics alike all over the world.
    What's even worse in superman returns is that, now he has a son. I dont know if he really did in the dc comicbooks. Coz if he did have a son, then i must've missed reading that comicbook issue. i dont remember having read anything like that. The writers should've been faithful to what has been featured in the comic books just like in smallville. i like the series better.
    However, superman returns has its moments too. it wasnt a bad movie,actually it was a good one. but, it could've been better.
    there's a scene that was kinda emotional like when he was beaten up by luthor's guys and eventually stabbed by luthor himself with a sharp kryptonite. it made superman vulnerable and he almost died. I like that in a movie where the hero also gets beaten up making him not that invincible. The movie has its strengths and weaknesses as well. All movies have but if you compare the superman now with the superman back then, i guess, some of you would agree that , it used to be better back then.
    Well, i hope, in the next superman VI movie, they can do something more..make it more action packed, fast paced, intense yet emotional, and moving.

2. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

The Christogramic pretensions bothered the heck out of me.
    I have to agree that, kitschy as the prior Superman series was
    (especially the later installments), they were much better
    in both delivering visual 'wow', and involving us in the
    characters' little drama.

If I want edgy, I'll look to the Dark Knight of Gotham.
    Superman is about something else, and this latest cinematic
    rendition misses the boat.

JM2P

3. theTactician

theTactician

I agree. it does miss something and i cant seem to know what it is. I personally, have been anxiously waiting for another superman movie after reeve's last which was superman IV and after reading the very 1st issue of "the death of superman" comicbook by DC during the early 90's. I thought they were gonna make a movie about that but they failed to do so for the last 15 plus years i think or maybe i was just expecting more from bryan singer. I thought he could contribute something more for the superman franchise and probably ressurrect it back to its glory days but I was kinda disappointed in a way. Well, i believe they did their best.
    Batman Begins is even better i should say. it was such a dark and gothic movie that commemorates the legends of the dark knight series. It has been faithful to the comic books and that is what i liked about it.
    Maybe in the next superman movie (VI), they could introduce newer villains like metallo, braniac, much better if they can do "doomsday" the monster created by luthor who ultimately killed superman but was later tied to an asteroid by one of the supermen and thrown into an endless void in the galaxy. They should also add more "emotion" and "heart" into it. Coz, superman is not just an icon of truth and justice but he is also part-human and he can be hurt. he is also vulnerable. I like the superman in smallville. Tom welling plays it well over there and he made superman more human whom we can identify ourselves on. Maybe they should incorporate the essence of smallville in the superman series to make it a memorable one just like what the late christopher reeve did back in the 70's and early 80's.

4. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

The producers flashed the "This movie is dedicated to the memory of Christopher and Dana Reeve" line sometime after the start of the end credits.

I felt a bit uncomfortable with some of the actions of Superman during the movie. He came across as some kind of voyeur --peeping into houses and under women's apparel with x-ray vision (maybe that's why his name is Kal-"EL"). And i don't care if he's the kid's father or a living legend... if someone enters my child's room without my permission, they're going to be greeted with a hailstorm of JHPs :frown:

There were also some plot holes, like how did Lois know Superman was her son's father when Superman erased the memory of their trist at the Fortress of Solitude at the end of Superman 2?

Also, I feel sorry for James Mardsen. First he gets vaporized by Jean Grey in X-Men 3, now he has to compete for the love of Lois Lane with the Man of Steel :shocked:

5. theTactician

theTactician

nevertheless, most people think that bryan singer did well in ressurrecting the superman franchise. I just hope that the next few sequels would be a lot better than this one.
    the cast of characters were ok and i think superman fans should also thank brandon routh for having the courage to take on the superman role eventhough he knows he'd face the burden of carrying on the legacy that chris reeve left us. a lot is expected of him.
    when he was asked, "are you afraid of the superman curse?"..he simply said, "my only fear is not having the role and something happens to me".
    He said that, during their shooting at fox studios in australia, he felt good seeing the kids smile at him with sparkle in their eyes whenever they see him with the superman suit.
    the character in itself, has its own life and he embodied what a perfect human being should be. Only one man, however, in the entire world made the character real and he is the late chris reeve.

6. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

How could Superman have climaxed without killing Lois Lane? I mean, talk about hyper-velocity projectiles.

7. horge

Ah....
    I do remember that brilliant 1971 piece by Larry Niven.
    IIRC, the only solution was to make Superman himself pregnant.

:)

8. jasonub

jasonub

first is that superman became man to be with louise and they did the monster with 2 backs at the fortress of solitude.

but he decided to be superman again to save the world from the 3 stoogies. who escaped from the phantom zone.

then as for louise knowing that his son is superman's well she already knew that the boy was special way before him getting to the age of 5. probably by crushing his toys or bumping the door and tearing it off its hinges. or lifting himself 5 ft over the bed when the kid gets stomach gass :)

It seems like louise told/hypnotized his son to look weak and hide his abilities via a conversation with him in front of clark. did you take your blank blank medication, vitamins, etc, complete with useless astma thing.

when louise was about to get it, the kid instinctively gave the bad guy a flying piano to save his mom.

next scene was being locked in and his mom asked him to help her open the door to which he refused. then after a while the son was about to rip open the door but louise's "lust remover" arrived and opened it before the kid was able to do his thing. Lucky guy this "lust remover":supergrin:

9. jasonub

jasonub

also as the lover asked the stats of superman and louise ranted ___ tall, 175 pounds, only weakness is radioactive meteor from his homeland.

I remember louise interviewing superman before and clearly, chris reeves said, 6'4" 220 pounds or so.

10. horge

Jason :)
    I think you mean Lois, hehe!

But seriously, Larry Niven's essay on the matter is solid gold.
    Legendary 'Superman' illustrator Curt Swan even lent a hand when
    Niven's article was reprinted (removing copyright identifiers,
    like the color of Superman's costume, and the S-logo...

Hah! I found my old copy of the reprint!
    (posing it with my Bersa....)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you can find an online copy of 'Man of Steel : Woman of Kleenex",
    it's definitely worth a light-hearted read.
    :)

11. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Well, whatever ; Superman beats Batman by a mile. I mean, what is Batman but a glorified acrobat with ambiguous sexuality (his "ward" Robin, yeah sure. There's a famous pop-culture painting of Batman and Robin in bed together.)

Of course, our Captain Barbell is kinda weird too. In a fight between Superman and Captain Barbell, who would win? Between Wonder Woman and Narda? (walange eroplano si Narda - mahal eh.)

Then there's GMA versus Ping Lacson.

12. bunganga

bunganga

Si GMA manalo jan kasi maliit sya, hindi sya masabunutan ni Ping.

Tapos, e ksi nga maliit sya, kayang kaya nya pitikin si Ping sa... sa... sa ano.... sa bulls:clown:

Gud day po,

13. quick

quick what, me worry?

i suppose lex luthor could call his blade "krypto-knife". :)

considering that luthor seemed to have access to kryptonite, i was hoping he would make some kryptonite ammo too. considering also that he got close enough to superman to stab him, it's not too much of a stretch to assume that luthor could also have shot superman full of holes with his deadly 235 grain .45 cal, full kryptonite jacket "home" loads... :rollsmiley:

14. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

"luthor could also have shot superman full of holes with his deadly 235 grain .45 cal, full kryptonite jacket "home" loads... "

Maybe so, but the platform would have had to be a Glock or a Smith&Wesson 625. A 1911 would choke for sure.

15. horge

More heresy from the ante-christ hisself...
    ;)

16. EL_DIABLO888

EL_DIABLO888 GTRISKELION

Saw it Yesterday with my kids,
    I'm very dissapointed with the Movie..The movie is so predictive..I'm sure the next superman movie, they will introduce the Superboy,superman son with Lois lane...

b.r

17. jasonub

jasonub

you guys are too funny:supergrin:

Good thing i did not type louie lane:supergrin:

18. New_comer

New_comer

What if Superman's interstellar escape pod landed in Russia, or China, or in Tondo? Ayos sa karnabal yun ganun ah...

Wouldn't that be a thrill... :supergrin:

19. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

If Superman landed in Tondo, then we'd have a Justice League of the Philippines with a lineup that includes Captain Barbell, Darna, the Fantastikids, Lastikman, and the Man of Steel --pero Tagalog dapat pangalan nya kaya imbes na Superman, magiging Mamang Tsuper :supergrin:

20. New_comer

New_comer

He-he-he

Pag umaga, jeepney driver... Tapos laging nakokotongan ng pulis. Bobo kuno para di halata.... :supergrin:

Pag me trobol na, isusuot na brief sa labas, gulpihan na! Ayos a, pwedeng script sa bagong TV show. :alien: :)

Anung pangalan nya? Clark Kent... Macario Dimagawa (Kent-Can't) :supergrin: :rollsmiley: