GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Crusty Member
10,691 Posts
I thought for that bullet, 14gr was considered the minimum, and there are cautions not to go below min.

·
NRA & Second Amendment Life Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I thought for that bullet, 14gr was considered the minimum, and there are cautions not to go below min.
Yes, I've read the same, starting with the Hodgdon reloading info, and other sources. But my Sierra Reloading Manual lists H110 at 13.8 grains for maximum load with a 110 grain bullet.

Steve

·
Crusty Member
10,691 Posts
Different sources, different data. Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Many on the CMP forum seem to like 15gr. I was much happier with 14gr, but I also use mag primers.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I had a Rug BH and a I think a Universal rifle in the 70s and 80s.

Sold them both and stuck with the 357, more power and cheaper
to find brass for.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
30 carbine reloading is more time consuming than difficult. Lee does make carbide dies, but I prefer the RCBS steel dies even though they require lube. The Lee dies under size the cases which provides good bullet tension, but they end up looking funny. Another drawback is you have to trim cases after 2 or 3 firings max and 30 carbine brass isn't the easiest to find, but I still love the cartridge and the platform.
If you still have the Lee dies try not pushing the case all the way
in the sizing die and see if it makes your brass look any better, it is
a tapered case and you may not need to full size them.

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Sierra Reloading.JPG
Yes, I thought it was weird that Sierra Reloading Manual Version 5, listed a range of H110 powder which were all below the common listings of 14 to 15 grains everywhere else. I couldn't tell any difference in any of the factory rounds, and my reloads, except Hornady Critical Defense rounds. The CD's were noticeably hotter than the others.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I use the CMP recommended load of 15 gr 296/H110 behind a 110 grain bullet. This duplicates the military load. Runs fine and never had a problem with it.

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I use the CMP recommended load of 15 gr 296/H110 behind a 110 grain bullet. This duplicates the military load. Runs fine and never had a problem with it.
Thanks Cliff, I'm going to inch my way up to 15 grains of H110, but first I'm going to try some Lil'Gun because I've heard it's much cleaner.

Steve

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, I set my 550 up for using the Lil'Gun powder I just got. I've read that is very clean compared to H110. I worked yesterday at preparing the brass for using on the machine. SAAMI diagram shows the maximum length for 30 CAL M1 to be 1.290. I've read many comments from reloaders that say one doesn't have to trim these cases very often, but having them too long creates feed problems in the gun.

So I was using my Le Wilson case trimmer, which is very well made, but it's killing me spending so much time doing this process. I've got to find something faster, hopefully a process that eliminates deburring the cases after trimming. The first thing that comes to mind is one of the Dillon case trimmers setup on my Rock Chucker press.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve
LE Wilson Case Trimmer.jpg

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
From watching some You Tube videos, it may be better to use a 650 and have the trimmer as the station right after the depriming and case resizer station.

·
Crusty Member
10,691 Posts
Back when I was getting started with stuff for rifle loading, I knew I wanted to load .223 and .30 carbine, so I only considered trimmers that could easily do both. I ended up selecting the RCBS Trim Pro Power and added the 3-way cutters for .30 and .223. When I do rifle brass prep, I do it like an assembly line with the press left most, then superswage, then trimmer. I size/decap, swage, trim. While that case is on the trimmer, I size and swage another. By that time, the case on the trimmer is done, so it gets removed and replaced with the next one.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,114 Posts
I was looking up Dillon die sets this morning. I noticed that there are two different die listing for 30 cal. Carbine. The first, #62128, is a three die set, and the second, # 97039, is a single sizing die. In the past, I've only purchased three die sets from Dillon. My question is, what times would the single (full length?) sizing die be used?
So you can just set up one tool head with a sizing die so you can size, deprime and then trim.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,114 Posts
Has anyone tried plated bullets in the carbine?

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Has anyone tried plated bullets in the carbine?
Would the high velocity of 1,900 fps be a problem for plated bullets?

Steve

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Would the high velocity of 1,900 fps be a problem for plated bullets?

Steve
From Xtreme Bullets' website:
"Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp"

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
From Xtreme Bullets' website:
"Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp"
Thanks for the information!
Steve

41 - 58 of 58 Posts