GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
NRA & Second Amendment Life Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I'll check out the books, and other forums.

I posted a question about use of primers with this cartridge. I have since taken the time to read the two reloading manuals, and the small rifle primer, specifically Remington 6 1/2 was the recommended size.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Crusty Member
10,691 Posts
Primer type depends somewhat on the powder. Speer recommends SRM or the military #41 primers for H110, so those are what I've used.

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I was looking up Dillon die sets this morning. I noticed that there are two different die listing for 30 cal. Carbine. The first, #62128, is a three die set, and the second, # 97039, is a single sizing die. In the past, I've only purchased three die sets from Dillon. My question is, what times would the single (full length?) sizing die be used?

·
Crusty Member
10,691 Posts
I was looking up Dillon die sets this morning. I noticed that there are two different die listing for 30 cal. Carbine. The first, #62128, is a three die set, and the second, # 97039, is a single sizing die. In the past, I've only purchased three die sets from Dillon. My question is, what times would the single (full length?) sizing die be used?
I don't know if they sell the sizing die separately with the idea that you might use it with someone else's seating and crimping dies, or if it's because the sizing die is the only one likely to wear out or break. I use Lee dies for size/crimp and an old RCBS seating die from a set I was given...I found it worked better with the bullets I use than the Lee seater.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
My load is 12.5 gr H-110, 110 grain Remington or Hornady bullet, Fed #205 primer. These yield 10 shot, 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

I haven't been able to find new brass for several years, so I bought some Armscor ammo. That stuff was junk. 6" groups at 100 yards. I haven't got around to reloading the brass yet, but I've heard the brass was ok.

I also dabbled in casting a 120 grain bullet for it, initial results were promising, but I haven't messed with it since.

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My load is 12.5 gr H-110, 110 grain Remington or Hornady bullet, Fed #205 primer. These yield 10 shot, 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

I haven't been able to find new brass for several years, so I bought some Armscor ammo. That stuff was junk. 6" groups at 100 yards. I haven't got around to reloading the brass yet, but I've heard the brass was ok.

I also dabbled in casting a 120 grain bullet for it, initial results were promising, but I haven't messed with it since.
That's the kind of info I'm also interested in, which brands have people had good accuracy with, poor accuracy, good and bad quality of brass.

I purchased a sample of rounds from Aguila, Prvi Partizan, Sellet Bellot, and Hornady. I didn't buy from Tula, Armscor, and Herter's.

I'm thinking that the Prvi Partizan from Serbia may be the best quality.

I don't want to buy in bulk if my particular rifle won't feed them.

Steve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't have a M1, but I do have a Ruger Blackhawk that is chambered in 30 carbine. Been reloading for a while and only buy new when I need more cases. I use IMR [email protected] with X-treme 110Gn CPRN bullets and Winchester small rifle primers.

Reactions: MSW

·
Registered
391 Posts
Don't have a M1, but I do have a Ruger Blackhawk that is chambered in 30 carbine. Been reloading for a while and only buy new when I need more cases. I use IMR [email protected] with X-treme 110Gn CPRN bullets and Winchester small rifle primers.
Was this the Ruger that had an ear splitting report? There was an article in an old American Rifleman about that pistol.

I found a box of Remington 30 cal ammo in my closet yesterday that dad had bought in 1966. I had forgotten how small that round is.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I had completely forgotten Ruger made a Blackhawk in this caliber.

How old is that pistol? I'm guessing it was made about 1978 or so?

I'm dating myself but I remember my roommate had one about that time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Was this the Ruger that had an ear splitting report? There was an article in an old American Rifleman about that pistol.
I would have to say yes. The thing is ungodly loud. My dad used it to shoot muskrats in our pond when I was a kid. He always said he didn't know if the round or the shockwave from firing it killed them.:supergrin:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had completely forgotten Ruger made a Blackhawk in this caliber.

How old is that pistol? I'm guessing it was made about 1978 or so?

I'm dating myself but I remember my roommate had one about that time.
The serial number has it being produced in 1968. Came with a scope on it, but I have removed it because it was broken. Replaced it with standard rear sight for now.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The serial number has it being produced in 1968. Came with a scope on it, but I have removed it because it was broken. Replaced it with standard rear sight for now.
Thanks.

And I'm now guessing you were not even born in 1968? I'm really feeling old.

·
Micheal D Dokes
269 Posts
30 carbine reloading is more time consuming than difficult. Lee does make carbide dies, but I prefer the RCBS steel dies even though they require lube. The Lee dies under size the cases which provides good bullet tension, but they end up looking funny. Another drawback is you have to trim cases after 2 or 3 firings max and 30 carbine brass isn't the easiest to find, but I still love the cartridge and the platform.

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
30 carbine reloading is more time consuming than difficult. Lee does make carbide dies, but I prefer the RCBS steel dies even though they require lube. The Lee dies under size the cases which provides good bullet tension, but they end up looking funny. Another drawback is you have to trim cases after 2 or 3 firings max and 30 carbine brass isn't the easiest to find, but I still love the cartridge and the platform.
It would be interesting to hear how the Dillon dies work in comparison!

Steve

·
Ninja
2,703 Posts
It would be interesting to hear how the Dillon dies work in comparison!
A few years ago I ordered a Dillon 30 Carbine conversion for my 1050. The resize die they included back then was a Redding carbide. Works just fine. Not 100% sure what die they include now.

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
A few years ago I ordered a Dillon 30 Carbine conversion for my 1050. The resize die they included back then was a Redding carbide. Works just fine. Not 100% sure what die they include now.
I didn't know that Dillon used other companies dies! Interesting.

Steve

·
Crusty Member
10,691 Posts
I didn't think Dillon made .30 carbine dies...at least not the full set. When I bought my press, I'm pretty sure they were selling someone else's .30 carbine dies, very expensive, which is why I bought Lee dies separately.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I wish I had bought one when I was a young man. I have noticed that the IMR 4227 and H110 powders I use for .357 also are recommended for the 30 carbine. Straight wall brass is about a simple as it gets for a new reloader to get started.

·
Micheal D Dokes
269 Posts
I wish I had bought one when I was a young man. I have noticed that the IMR 4227 and H110 powders I use for .357 also are recommended for the 30 carbine. Straight wall brass is about a simple as it gets for a new reloader to get started.
Mines a reproduction, I got it cheap before the 2012 debacle went down. As much as I like the original GI carbines the prices are just getting to high. They're becoming collectibles and I wanted a plinker. My go to load is 14.5 grains of H110 under a 110 grain bullet. This comes out to about 32,000 psi which is way under the 40 - 46,000 psi max depending on the source of the load data. 15 grains comes in at about 35,000 psi from what I've read. In a GI carbine I wouldn't go over 15 grains max. This will get you in the 1900 -2000 fps range. I heard Lil Gun provides top velocity, but that stuff burns a little too hot for my liking. AA9 is another good powder but requires higher pressure for the same performance as H110. PP300MP is an interesting powder that would be perfect for the 30 carbine. There just isn't any data out there for this combination. I've gone as high as 15.3 grains over 110 grain fmj's using PP300MP, I've yet to chronograph this load but plan on doing it soon.

·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well, I went to the range and shot my M1 Carbine. I used some factory "American Quality Ammunition" rounds and some reloads I made using 13.8 grains of Hodgdon H110 behind a FMJ 110 grain bullet. I was quite happy the carbine operated without any malfunctions. The group was about 6 inches at 50 yards. I figure that's not bad considering it was the first time shooting the gun. I only made 10 rounds to test fire, and shot them with about 15 of the factory loads. The only thing that I wasn't real pleased with is the H110 left the brass noticeably dirty. Perhaps I need to raise the weight of the powder up to 14, or slightly more, grains. This caliber does not have a wide spread of powder range.

Steve

Reactions: MSW
21 - 40 of 58 Posts