Glock 17 Off to the sandbox with a G17!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Hugo R, Sep 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

A LEO buddy of mine is off to the sandbox and has been issued a G17. His current issue is a .40 but he was told by the DOS that 9mm is the way to go due to the availability issues.

He'll be carrying an M4 and the G17 when doing his thing. Most of the military folk I know that have been over there have been issued Beretta's. However, the LEO folks are carrying a lot of Glocks.

Just thought the choice of G17 was interesting.

2. Perry F.

Perry F.

Good for him I would want a glock over there, with all that sand.

3. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Hugo R,

Maybe when you buddy gets settled in he can report on the type(s) of 9mm ammo they have available for him to use in his G-17. It would be interesting in knowing what kind of indigenous rounds they have come across (Iraqi, Syrian, Egyptian etc.).

Tell your buddy good luck and be careful.

4. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

Lots of French 9mm over there according to a friend that just got back.

5. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

Will do. I believe we are sending him off with a hundred rounds of Speer 124gr. GDHP and if the regs allow I'll be giving him a couple of boxes of Winchester 147gr. Ranger T. I doubt (I hope) he won't need more than that but I'll ask him to look around for the local stuff. Definitely should be interesting.

6. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I would take a G-17 grip plug to keep the sand out.

7. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

Hmmmm, my 17's been plugged for so long I forgot about that. I'll get him one for his. Thanks!

8. LSP972

LSP972

The State Department apparently fell out of love with Sig some years back. We do a lot of DOS ATAP (Anti-Terrorist Assitance Program; i.e., foreign cops are brought over here to learn our methods) classes here, and the Crisis Response students do quite a bit of shooting.

I was around this program from 1988 to 1996, and it has been interesting to watch the progression of handguns issued for the students to use.

At first, it was a batch of beat-up S&W M-15 .38 Spl revolvers that were US Air Force turn-ins. In 1990, those were taken up and Browning P-35s were brought in. These were the Portuguese-made variant, and featured decent thumb safeties and what looked to be a painted finish.

In 1992 or thereabouts, the P-35s disappeared and a batch of new Sig P228s was brought in. Also during this period, the pace of classes stepped up big-time. The P228s were seeing 20-30 thousand rounds a year each, and were literally being shot loose. The first batch went back to Sig for a rebuild, and when those were shot out a new batch was purchased; IIRC that was in 1994. I would fix individual guns when they went down, as the program did not have its own armorer at that time.

Then, in 1996, Glock 17s became the gun of choice, and last time I checked was still the issue item. A State Department "suit" had told me, back in 1995, that the Glocks were coming because they (DOS) had found, in other training programs they administered, that the average Glock service life was over twice that of the Sig. I do know that the Glocks used here have needed far less attention than the Sigs ever did. No surprise there, eh?

Hugo, you say your friend will be issued an M4 too? That's interesting, as the job decription for those DOS LEO positions list it as a plain clothes assignment. A cool, tax-free hundred grand or so, too, for a year of your life.

And expanding-bullet ammo is allowed??? That's amazing. Perhaps the Foggy Bottom types are gaining a grip on reality.

Do you know what type of holster they provided him?

For a single guy whose agency will grant him a year's leave of absence, it would be quite an adventure.

Wish him good luck for me.

9. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

;c

10. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

Feel free to PM me if you need any Glock 17 OEM parts so he can have some replacements on hand in theater. ;c

11. RoninP80

RoninP80

i can't think of a better combo for general use ;?

12. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

LSP972: He will not be in plain clothes per se (most of the time) and he'll be carrying in the Safariland SLS 6004. As far as a concealable holster, we've issued him the Don Hume H724TB 36-4. Also, he is not working for the DOS. Our agency does however follow DOS guidelines & recommendations. The M4 has been the primary weapon for our folks in the sandbox since the beginning. The addition of the G17 was what suprised me. Yes all of the ammo is "bullet expanding";) and no he is not being granted leave, it's actually a detail. Yes, he will definitely be making bank while there.

RENEA: Thank you for the offer, we appreciate it very much! We do however, have lots of spare parts.

I think the problem with hollow points is they cannot be used in military action. However, as a LEO those restrictions do not apply.

13. glockjeeper

glockjeeper G19/J Frame fan

This is interesting.....in the latest issue of American Handgunner in The Ayoob Files (by Massad Ayoob) the topic is about an American Federal LEO working over in Iraq and his issue weapons are a Glock 17 with 147gr. Fed. Hydra Shok carried in a 6004 and a Colt M4 with Fed. 55gr. JHP. Its a good read I recommend to check out. Names and agencies are not mentioned in the article for privacy reasons.

14. Rawhide20

Rawhide20

If they don't allow the Ranger ammo or any expanding type, maybe send him with some hot FMJ 9mm.

15. LSP972

LSP972

He's not on a DOS gig? Okay; in that case I don't wanna know.;)

Thanks for the info.

16. TheProfessor

TheProfessor

When I purchased my Glock I asked about that plug and the arms dealer discouraged getting one and explained how there is a hole in the upper region of the gun (near the connector) and that having both holes allows dirt/sand and such to pass through. He said that adding the plug will allow the small grains of sand to accumulate via the opening up top. He then said, basically, that the gun is designed from the company to be used as is (unmodified). I'm taking his word on that.

17. Rawhide20

Rawhide20

Professor
    Good point, I never thought of that.

I don't understand this and maybe one of you can explain it. Along the lines of an early post on someone carrying HP ammo; I remember Sportmans guide clearing out some 'Navy Seal' contract 9mm Hollow points. It just made me wonder if the Geneva Convention stands still, where would they be using HP ammo?

18. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

I recently called my bud right before he shipped out. He was taking a box of Speer 124gr. GDHP and a box of Winchester 147gr. Ranger SXT. He was not sure if they would let him keep the ammo;Q Worse comes to worse hopefully he'll be issued something better than the FMJ most of the GI's are being issued.

I'll keep you all posted.....

19. jsanti13

jsanti13

Glock 17 is a good choice.

But you can perform a better pistol whip with a Berreta and still have the 9mm.

;N

20. jamskatelake

jamskatelake

The Geneva Convention only allows for the use of FMJ.