close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Off The Beaten Path

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by The Viking, Aug 4, 2012.

1. The Viking

The Viking

I got interested in a Glock 37 45 Gap. I went to the large gun store I frequent to ask about it. The employee, whom I know well, said they do not sell well; and therefore they do not stock them. He also said the ammo was very expensive. Anyway, he did not think much of the cartridge or the pistol.
    So who here shoots this pistol and now is it? How is the recoil? Does it work well? How do you like it? How does it compare to the 45 acp?

2. bac1023

bac1023

Many people here love the GAP.

3. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

I'll try to answer you as best as I can here:

So who here shoots this pistol and how is it?

I own and shoot GAP. No complaints here. Picked up my first one as a demo gun which was put on sale, and have loved that caliber ever since.

The frame is the same size as the 9/40/357, but the slide is as wide as the 21/30.

How is the recoil?

Very manageable. If you've shot a G21 or G30, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It's a very soft shooter, for sure.

Does it work well?

I don't have any problems unless I load the ammo on the minimum side of the load spectrum. None of the brass to the face thing, weird ejection patterns etc.

How do you like it?

I like the round a lot, especially at the reloading bench, because I don't have to swap out the priming assembly if I'm loading up other calibers using small pistol primers. The capacity is a bit more conservative for a Glock, but I don't feel that really detracts from its effectiveness.

How does it compare to the 45 acp?

Well, I'll go on to say that it's the same to me. I can load 185 and 200 gr. projectiles into either caliber, with the main differences being case and primer for the ammo, and capacity for the pistol.

I only had the G37 Gen4 to shoot for a long time, so that was really the only experience I had until I was finally able to order a G39 (it is currently only available as a Gen3.) Because the slide is wider, it can not share the same holsters as the 9/40/357 models. However, it works just fine with the G30 holsters. I've seen a lot of people dismiss it because it's not popular, or because the ammo costs too much, etc. Once you shoot one, you'll see that it's a really effective round which (for me, since I load my own ammo) doesn't cost any more than .45ACP because the projectiles are the same. They make the same size hole in the target, and get the projectile downrange at the same or just slightly higher velocity.

I carry Speer Gold Dot 200 gr. ammo when the G39 makes it to the rotation for carrying, and make my own practice ammo out in the mad scientist lab in the garage. If you're not loading your ammo, sgammo.com and Georgia Arms should be able to provide reasonable pricing for you ammo.

4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Try the Forum Search feature. There is a thread every week or so touting the .45 GAP. Of course, there will also be comments pointing out that Glock is the only manufacturer using that cartridge, the cartridge is pretty expensive and, if you really want to shoot GAP, you better figure on reloading.

Richard

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Visit our Bull Dawgs Club here on G/T.

Go to http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=1&f=87

I have owned a G37 since September 2003. I recently replaced it with a Gen4. Also have a G38 and G39. They are the finest Glocks I've ever owned. If you shop, GAP ammo can be found for the same price as ACP. The G37 and G38 are also the two most accurate Glocks I've ever shot.

Five State Police Agencies (out of 50) issue the G37--NY, PA, SC, GA and FL. FL has Gen4's. While many here dismiss that as significant, they cannot name 5 or more State Police Agencies the issue the G21, or 5 that issue the G20, or 5 that issue the G31, or even 5 that issue the G17.

6. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Danny, years ago when NYSP and GA HP went to the .45 GAP I made a recommendation we switch to it as well. I was trying to get us away from 9mm then as I am still trying.

The GAP round would have sufficed for us as it has for the other state agencies.

7. avenues165

avenues165

I don't own a .45 GAP pistol, but I must admit that I have be curious about it. I have favored the .40/357 route so I haven't pursued a move to a new cartridge, but I am curious. .45 in a smaller frame, seems pretty cool.

I won't even consider it right now because I don't reload.

Can 230gr bullets be loaded into the the .45 GAP brass?

8. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

Any projectile that can be loaded for the 45 ACP can be loaded for the 45 GAP.

The thinking behind the GAP cartridge was to duplicate ACP performance in a shorter case allowing it to be used in a smaller frame pistol. The GAP uses different powders, as far as I understand, to get the performance from the shorter case.

I've never shot a 45 GAP but the theory behind it is sound in my mind. Maybe if ammo becomes more mainstream and less expensive I'll consider it in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

230-gr bullets may be used in GAP casings. There are several offerings in factory new 230-gr GAP. 45acp dies may be used to reload GAP. GAP casings take a small pistol primer.

10. xxlarge

xxlarge

Ditto to all the positive comments. I carry a G38 daily. I am very pleased with the gun and the round. After reloading for 35 years I gave it up so now I buy my ammo on line. GAP ammo is priced about the same as the acp stuff, especially if you buy bulk.

The GAP is soft shooting, accurate and easy to carry all day in an IWB holster for me.

I highly recommend it.:cool:

GEE...a GAP thread w/o mrsurfboard telling us how lousy the GAP is. Very strange.:wow: