GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of almost one hour ago, all 143 (or those still remaining) of those I attended the Department of Correction academy with are off of probation. Slowly but surely, the brass has been letting go of the leash a little at a time and and assigning us posts that challenge us more than the last one. This last 56 day post brought me to some pretty hair raising incidents but taught me a lot of lessons that I intend to learn from and utilize in my next 56 day post. A big congratulations to my classmates who are assigned to my facility, and that have grown into a tight knit family.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,456 Posts
Congrats.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I’m about to give you the best advice you never asked for. Leave. Now. Go sell insurance. Go sell dog poo. Go live under a bridge in a cardboard box. All better options than what you are doing now.

You will get more jaded by the day, more grumpy by the day, your relationships will suffer, not to mention the pay isn’t worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m about to give you the best advice you never asked for. Leave. Now. Go sell insurance. Go sell dog poo. Go live under a bridge in a cardboard box. All better options than what you are doing now.

You will get more jaded by the day, more grumpy by the day, your relationships will suffer, not to mention the pay isn’t worth the risk.
It depends on the person. I know a handful of people who did their 20-25 and have reaped the rewards of their service. I also know a few who have been through the divorces, the depression. Plenty of retired CO’s who did their “20 and out” and left the work at work. I would imagine you are/were a CO?

I did my bid in the military, slacked off for a while, and took the plunge and got into DOC. I am not going to “go live under a bridge” as an alternative. I make some pretty good money volunteering for the overtime that I do. Some people are just absolutely miserable in this job, and some make it out.

·
aka dingle
1,248 Posts
time flies when you’re having fun.

·
Registered
26,198 Posts
Great accomplishment.

Reactions: TBO

·
Registered
66 Posts
As of almost one hour ago, all 143 (or those still remaining) of those I attended the Department of Correction academy with are off of probation. Slowly but surely, the brass has been letting go of the leash a little at a time and and assigning us posts that challenge us more than the last one. This last 56 day post brought me to some pretty hair raising incidents but taught me a lot of lessons that I intend to learn from and utilize in my next 56 day post. A big congratulations to my classmates who are assigned to my facility, and that have grown into a tight knit family.
Congrats! Care to share your craziest experience so far?

·
Spewer of TROOF
9,435 Posts
It depends on the person. I know a handful of people who did their 20-25 and have reaped the rewards of their service. I also know a few who have been through the divorces, the depression. Plenty of retired CO’s who did their “20 and out” and left the work at work. I would imagine you are/were a CO?

I did my bid in the military, slacked off for a while, and took the plunge and got into DOC. I am not going to “go live under a bridge” as an alternative. I make some pretty good money volunteering for the overtime that I do. Some people are just absolutely miserable in this job, and some make it out.
my mother in law worked at the county jail. She is 5’3” and maybe 120 pounds. She was there for 20+ years and retired as a captain.

she did fine. This probably isn’t exactly like the big house but my point was she did fine.

in the county jail, out and about town, you see the ex-inmates EVERYWHERE so you have to be very professional with them in the inside.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
9,695 Posts
Kudos to the OP...I worked "inside" for about 18 months...could not wait to break-out...but, many folks like being "inside"...not for me

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
9,695 Posts
Kudos to the OP...I worked "inside" for about 18 months...could not wait to break-out...but, many folks like being "inside"...not for me

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
My nephew works in a prison as a supervisor , not a officer . He supervises the metal shop and inmates working for him there . He loves his job and is making good money with good benefits .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Make the best of it. I feel that being a C/O will make you a better street cop if you decide to go that way but even if you stay it can be a great law enforcement career. My only advice with staying in corrections is making sure that you go/ stay somewhere that has equal or better pay/bennies to your local PD's.

The job is worth more than $15 an hour. I know sheriff's deputies working a jail near me making 100k.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
At least someone at the jail isn’t on probation! Congratulations! Stay safe!

·
Why so serious?
64,732 Posts
<---has been to jail more times than the rest of his family combined

Congrats

·
"Cynical Little me"
7,149 Posts
Good for you. A very difficult job, in many ways harder then being a street cop.

I have found being professional keeps you out of a lot of trouble. One thing I never did was "Judge" anyone, even the biggest scumbags. I might have once out of the uniform but never did when in it.

Best wishes on your career.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts