close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Off-leash training

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Mr. Niceguy, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

What methods have you used to successfully train your dog to not roam when off-leash, and in your presence? I've got a 1.5 year old spayed Golden/Akita mix who is occasionally stubborn, but also very obedient of me. I'd love to be able to take her hiking in the woods and allow her to explore nearby without the fear of her just taking off running. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Most Goldens I have known never did get good offleash. Just too excitable and exuberant.

There are many breeds like that--but sometimes you get an exception. Like mixing 'em with a watchdog breed (Akita!)

I'd use a 50' (at least 20') long lead for a few months until I was positive the dog would not chase deer, ect before I would trust it at all.

If Obedience training is college, this is going for a 'doggy doctorate'.

And, like any good prof, you can't graduate your student until he/she learns what is needed to advance...

Be consistent, be caring, and try my advice. See how that goes.

Let us know!

3. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

Thanks for the response. Queenie and I have a lot of work ahead of us. :)

4. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

i'd bet that the ONLY way you are going to get that kind of control is with an electronic collar or serious training from an EARLY age. it may or may not be too late, i can't answer that since i'm not a trainer.

i'd say your best bet is to talk to a trainer; if you are that concerned about how far your pup goes, keep them on a retractable leash/electronic collar ;)

5. cznut

cznut

When I too our golden Katy to obiedience school the instructor had two of the best minding German Shepards i have ever seen. Even at that she told me she never lets them off their leashes when not in their enclosed yard as it only takes one time to lose their train of thought. I have followed her advice every since.

6. warrior poet

warrior poet

get yourself a long lead like 30ft or so but it needs to be lighter material than that of the leash, the lighter the better, to give the feeling that he is unrestrained. start off small, in an area that the dog is familiar with so he is not so inclined to explore. establish in your mind how far you will allow the dog to roam. slowly build up to that point using neg-pos reinforcements. when he gets to the edge of the perimeter a stiff jerk on the lead followed with your come command and if obeyed give a treat. this is how i trained my rhodesian ridgeback with good success.

7. zzdroptop

zzdroptop

Any time a dog is off leash there is a risk of losing the dog. My Cairn Terriers are very obediant and have very good recall and follow commands....but I know if they ever got focused on something and went after it they would not be recalled quickly and that could cost them their lives....so I simply want take that chance unless the conditions are controlled....ie. We do Earthdog training and test off leash in a controlled enviorment.

I would at least make sure your dog has a GPS tracking devise if he is off lead when hiking.

8. Justin lewis

Justin lewis

I have trained my Dobe with an E-Collar. It has been the best thing i have ever bought. I purchaed a Dogtra E-collar for my training. Once my pup hit 6 months we made the transition to it. Ever since things are more exciting and fun for the pup and she learns wile having fun working with me. We keep our work sesions to 5-10 min and then go rest or play a game. She actualy loves the collar and wants it on all the time. She will actualy go get it and bring it to me when i get home from work.

One reason i picked and e-collar for training is i want her to be able to be able to walk beside us when we go hiking with out a lead. She heels very well with out a lead.

Second reason i choose an ecollar is i dont like the idea of yanking or pulling on her neck to give a correction. The damage with a choke chain doesnt set in with me to well. I do have a pinch collar though and it works good but not as good as a Ecollar IMO for what i am striving for.

I use the Low stim method and found it help build her confidence and drive. She has came along way in her training.

anyways..... i would look at an ecollar. if used properly they can be very effective. with that said there is all ways that chance like stated above.