Off hand 42 (not so good)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MIckeyR, Jul 20, 2019.

1. amd65

amd65

I’ve seen revolvers jam twice.
    Once, my pal was shooting a fresh box of factory ammo through his Ruger Security Six, and one round squibbed, sticking the bullet halfway into the forcing cone...one and done.
    Two years ago, a guy next to me at the rifle club had the third round set forward out the chamber mouth, jamming his Ruger LCR up tight.
    Revolvers are no guarantee, and when they jam, you better have a backup, cause they are hard to clear.

Danielsuzuki likes this.
  2. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

This - I’ve had two smiths and a colt strip the jacketing off a 38 special round and lock up the cylinder completely. Took a trip to the gunsmith in all three cases. Completely dead firearm.

Not the norm, certainly. Just food for thought. Anything can fail.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

Squibs happen in any kind of gun and will screw you in an autopistol too. Bullet pull happens, so does setback.
    The OP has problems with grip induced malfunctions in his pocket pistol, a revolver would be a very logical solution.Revolvers certainly can fail, but far less frequent than autopistols, esp small ones.

happie2shoot likes this.
  4. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Actually the revolver issues outlined above are problems with ammo; either insufficient crimp, lack of powder or enough.

The Limp wristing theme in Glocks does exist but many past sins were Glock design in ejectors.

The Glock 42 also may win the award for most issues posted in the negative in experiences when the product was released.

Personally the singlestacks are too small for my hands and I cannot pass judgement. My observation are comments of others experiences....I do realize there are those with positive experiences and many a GSSF competitor who competes with success.

My comment would be choose platforms that fit the hand.

Berto likes this.
  5. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

AMMO malfunctions happen in both semi and revolver. A squib is a squib, it will shut down either gun. I have seen semis jam when nothing is wrong, at least nothing you can see or figure out, it just happens. A revolver can jam too. I have had a 586 that got unburned powder under the extractor, couldn't pull the trigger double action, I had to thumb cock it. This would be bad in a SD situation BUT to be fair, it occurred after firing 50 or 60 rounds in a match. It would never happen with the revolver in my pocket, don't even carry a reload. I did correct the situation tho, I switched to a cleaner burning powder to eliminate the problem. In reality this was an ammo problem instead of a gun malfunction.
    Bottom line for me, I have never had a revolver malfunction that was not caused by bad ammo.
    Never. It could happen tho, a part can fail just like in a semi. I have fired many thousands of rounds in revolvers, the only malfunctions were ammo related one way or the other. I have failed to let the trigger return all the way, guess that's a brain fart. Actually I had installed a light rebound spring in a S&W. Sometimes it's better to not fix it if it ain't broke.
    In all fairness most semis work just fine with good ammo and good magazines. I have owned a few semis that seemed to jam for no reason. A Taurus that had absolutely nothing wrong with it but would hang up every 50 to 75 rounds, never figured it out, a Citadal 9mm 1911, I did get it repaired. Later, at about 3000 rounds the ejector broke. Kimber didn't work when I bought it, I did repair it.
    Bottom line. I get more malfunctions with semis than with revolvers whether due to gun, human or ammo related issues. FACT, in my case.

happie2shoot and Danielsuzuki like this.
  6. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

Well said bud.

It was the ID of the forcing cones, the target showed the one hit.
    No, not a good situation. New revolvers, excepting the colt. They don’t make them like they used to...

I’ve definitely had my fair share of auto malfunctions as well - more than revolvers in my case, as I suspect is the average.

7. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

'' I have had a 586 that got unburned powder under the extractor, couldn't pull the trigger double action, I had to thumb cock it''

If you point the gun up when you extract/eject the empty
    cases, you will not get as much powder under the extractor.

8. harold63

harold63

One handed, weak hand grip? Post 16 pretty much covers it. I'd add that although we are pretty much as strong in our weak hand, our brain doesn't tell it how to use that strength where dexterity is required. I can easily break a pencil with my weak hand, but my 3 yr old granddaughter can write better than me if I try to write with it. When I qualified for the CERT team with the DOC, we had to shoot one handed, strong and weak. I practiced for a solid month before it started becoming second nature, with my weak hand, and that was with a 4" .38 Smith.

9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

^ A lot can be learned about grip and triggering in freestyle by studying them in strong and weak.

In freestyle, these operations are done with the better hands, so triggering with strong and gripping primarily with weak. But shooting strong you have to do all the gripping with your strong hand and shooting weak you have to do all the triggering with your weak hand.

For example, you may have developed in freestyle to the point where it's difficult to see the importance of attention to trigger press over vision. But shooting weak-hand, the importance of attention to trigger press jumps off the page. It becomes very clear that you shoot with your hands, not your eyes.

And shooting strong-hand, the importance of locking your strong wrist and gripping with the lower 2 fingers jumps off the page, because there's nothing else you can do to control the flip.

So live strong/weak practice can really help a lot to dial in your best freestyle technique.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    harold63 and Danielsuzuki like this.
  10. zaitcev

zaitcev

I don't think G42 can beat R51 in the amount of negative reporting. The P365 had more problems too.

11. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Cant relate to your choices, but a Glock Forum comment was my intent.