Off hand 42 (not so good)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MIckeyR, Jul 20, 2019.

1. MIckeyR

MIckeyR

When the 42 first came out had one but it would hang up when wife was shooting it (not on me). Got rid of it but over the years now have two that i keep in the truck and van.
    I have shot hundreds without a hiccup till today. After about 100 rounds i used my left hand and had 4 of the 7 jam.
    Yes i know it’s me limp wresting it. What is the off-hand trick?
    Thanks

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

3. F14A

F14A

4. kme

kme

Focus on fundamentals, grip, stance, trigger control, and follow through. Don't worry about sight alignment until you have a session without any jams. Just focus on a smooth (not necessarily fast) draw and squeezing off your shot in a controlled manner.

5. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Strengthen your hands

Blackshirt likes this.
  6. -JCN-

-JCN-

Use hotter ammo.

7. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

8. bac1023

bac1023

That’s already a tough gun to hang on to with a strong hand.

9. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Lock your elbows.

10. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

If they are early G42s, call Glock technical service with the serial number and see if it qualifies for updated parts. If so, they will replace most of the internal parts and magazines. I have 3 G42s and sent them all back to Glock for updates. It improves reliability and lightens and smooths out the trigger pull. You just have to pay to send it to them. Well worth the shipping cost. Turnaround was one week for the latest one.

Early G42s had a heavier trigger and feeding issues. Mine are 100% reliable now.

Best wishes.

11. MIckeyR

MIckeyR

They are both under 6 months old.

12. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

Repetition helps bud. As an enthusiast of off handed practice, I’d first say start with two hands left handed for a couple of mags and focus on your grip. Then transition to one hand and press your right hand into your left pec. Get a grip strength device and use it ALL the time in your left hand.

I only use Sig sauer 100 grain ball or Underwood +p 90 grain in my 42.

First three out of the gun (ever) jammed, zero since - at least 1200 rounds later. Left handed.

13. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

The Sig Sauer .380 FMJ ball practice ammo feeds very smoothly due to the bullets being partly round with a small flat point. It’s all I’d ever use for practice if I could find it easier in my area.

Danielsuzuki likes this.
  14. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I just got one from another Deputy last week, as new only 43 rounds of 95gr Remington FMJ through it. We now own three and I too never had one malfunction on me, until last Thursday.
    Firing a box of fifty Armscor 95 gr .380, on the last 7 rd session I had a fail to feed jam halfway through the mag.

Will watch it next session, for sure.

15. Danielsuzuki

I’m fortunate that the Academy Sports local to me always has it in stock for 16$ a box!

ShaneS likes this.
  16. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

There is no trick.

The gun needs a certain amount of energy to cycle properly, and your grip is what allows that energy to be transmitted. Most people don't use their strong and weak hands in the same way when they shoot freestyle.

The strong hand generally has more dexterity and the weak hand (ironically) generally supplies more gripping force. When you shoot weak-hand, you have to trigger with the less dexterous hand. That can excite a lot of negative circumstances that either don't exist in freestyle grip, or that are masked by redundancies in freestyle grip.

So what are the fundamental components that make your freestyle grip work? Obviously one primary thing is fore-aft pressure and leverage on the front and back straps. Another important one is "locking" of the wrists, which really means exerting a force at the 2 wrists to resist flexion of the entire mount from wrists to muzzle.

My suggestions for things to look at would be:
    • Lock your left wrist down hard. You only have one in play, and it needs to resist both axial and lateral forces.
    • Press rearward with your lower 2 fingers on the front strap. This is where most of the rest of your fore-aft leverage comes from.
    • Practice divorcing trigger dexterity in the upper part of your hand from gripping pressure in the lower part.
    • Consider the position of your elbow. In freestyle, higher elbows generally make it easier to get up high behind the bore axis. But the 2 elbows work in tandem. In strong/weak grip, higher elbows tend to create lateral reactions in the gun. So although lowering your elbow may make it more difficult to resist flip, it also helps allow the sights to track more vertically, which saves tons of time on splits and allows the gun to return to the neutral position much more reliably. This is where locking down your wrist really hard comes into play. If you do this, you'll probably start seeing the whole mount rise during flip - all the way back to your shoulder. That's as opposed to seeing more flipping from the wrist. This means more neutrality, better return, less overall movement and way more overall predictability in how/when the sights return.
    If you spend some time seriously studying strong and weak grip, you may find that your 2 hands start working much better together in freestyle grip.

As with most pistol shooting stuff, the quality of your shooting is largely driven by the quality of your analysis, and how well you can bring it to bear in development going forward.

Take a look at the difference between how my hands work together vs. independently in the runs on steel at the ends of these 2 vid's:

View: https://youtu.be/u9KgisSvrEw

View: https://youtu.be/buokOIIrCHw

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    harold63 and Danielsuzuki like this.
  17. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

If you want a gun that doesn't care about
    all the FTF, FTE, mag falling out, contact shots
    and the other problems with glocks, autos, and
    you don't need special classes on how to hold it,
    get a revolver.

Berto and yep380 like this.
  18. zaitcev

zaitcev

Use heavier bullets: 95 grain or heavier. I'm not joking, had that problem myself. Well, my wife did, but anyway. What's odd, brands do not seem to matter, only the bullet weight. Find a box of Remington Golden Saber, it's a 102 grain bullet. That will tell right away if your cause is the same.

19. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

Strange, my 642s never jam, both have been absolutely perfect. They are the same as a 42 except SS bbl and cylinder.
    Strange..............................................................

20. Danielsuzuki

Be wary of insinuating that revolvers don’t malfunction. That’s false.

I’m pleased your smiths are treating you right!