close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Off Duty Carry

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by msabo1023, Feb 22, 2010.

1. msabo1023

msabo1023

Hey everyone just wondering how other leo's carry off duty. i have a sidearmor iwb holster that i really like but im looking for a owb holster for the colder weather. I have a serpa holster that im trying now i like the retention but im not sure if i'm comfortable with this whole button. I've been practicing but about ten percent of the time i don;t get it out right away, which is not ok. So i'm looking for some suggestions from other officers. i have a g23 and g26 that i'm buying for. Any suggestions? Id like kydex, not a big leather fan. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Patchman

Patchman Florist

A lot of departments require off duty holsters to have some kind of level 1 retention strap/device. This eliminates a number of Kydex/plastic holsters.

BTW, there are many "plastic" holsters out there. Only some are Kydex. Kydex holsters are much more expensive ($70 and up) while the other plastic stuff is relatively cheap ($25 to $50). In my experience, yes, you get what you pay for. Good luck in your search.

3. LT642

LT642

I carry my issued G23 off duty in a Comp-Tac paddle holster, it is nice. It rides very close and is secure.

4. sargespd

sargespd

I carry IWB year round, and have for over 20 years. I have yet to find an IWB holster that conceals as well for me as a good IWB. My current off duty/edc is a G27 in an IWB holster from Glock Talk member JoshK. About 2 weeks carrying this one so far and I am very impressed. I have a Serpa for my G19, and have used them for others as well, but only when concealment was not an issue, such as plainclothes for training, or station duty.

5. COBRA90GT

COBRA90GT

Try carrying that G26 of yours with a quality IWB holster.

I like the DeSantis "Pro Stealth" holster:

http://www.desantisholster.com/

Image link: http://www.desantisholster.com/storefront/attachments/ImageLG/N87.jpg

I also use a Blackhawk Serpa OWB/paddle style holster as well and prefer using it for carrying at court/plainclothes details. Practice drawing/holstering with it if it feels awkward - if it still feels off, then ditch it for something else.

sargespd - Does JoshK have a website RE the holsters ? Thx

6. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The SERPA paddle or belt holster sticks out too much for me to conceal unless I am wearing a long, heavy garment. Regular light blazers won't hide the outline and most jackets are not long enough to cover it for some reason. Funny thing is that when I wore my Beretta 92FS in a Galco FED paddle, it hid perfectly under a blazer, but the SERPA paddle won't hide my Glock 26 under a heavy cotton jacket.

Hard to find any OWB that works for me for some reason... my jackets all are too short to properly conceal a gun OWB, maybe I need to start wearing trenchcoats?

I end up using my cheapie AKER spring special most of the time as only IWB works for me and it also has a thumb break strap which meets our policy for off-duty holsters having some type of retention device. The SERPA meets the regs and a lot of guys use it during training or plainclothes where they are not worried about concealment.

I had a few Kydex and Fobus type holsters that are open top which doesn't work for both retention and policy reasons. Traded them away for the most part.

I just ordered a DeSantis Companion holster which should hold better using the belt strap rather than just a spring clip. It also has a thumb break. My buddy got a MTAC and he loves it but as MTAC's don't come with a thumb break even as an option, it's out for me.

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Glock sport, Tucker HF-1, or Serpa. Sometimes in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

8. CBennett

CBennett

RM Lowrider(i just sold mine) its a great comfortable IWB kydex holster

http://rmholsters.com/store/

9. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

If you like the Sidearmor, why change? Unless there is a problem of some kind with the carry itself due to the cold weather, I don't see any advantage to changing something that works. IWB works just as well in cold weather as hot weather.

10. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter

What I carry in varies according to which gun I carry, but it is generally going to be a leather, OWB scabbard type of holster, worn on my strongside, just behind my hip. 99% of the time it will be a holster made my Mitch Rosen; Kramer; TT gunleather (a new favorite of mine); Milt Sparks; or Matt DelFatti. I do really like, however, the kydex holsters made by Raven Concealment systems. They are quickly becoming a favorite of mine. However you choose to carry, the important thing is to actually carry! And to practice with whatever system you use.
    Gonzo

11. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

Glock 26 in a FIST Holsters IWB tuckable super-thin kydex rig. LOVE my holster.

12. andy4731

andy4731

G26 in a Mitch Rosen Clipper. Great combo.

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The clip style is simple and easy to attach and use but I don't find it stable enough for actual hard usage other than just regular off-duty lounging. Any jumping in and out of a car and it either flips over or moves around so much that it almost falls out of my waistband. I hope the belt loop style of the DeSantis Companion holster will work better.

I had the Blade Tech IWB with the 2 rubber loops and while it held the holster to the pants well, it didn't retain the gun too well and any jarring would knock the gun out of the holster.

14. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Springer full sized 1911 in a serpa paddle, under a light vest or jacket.

15. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I learned that shortcomming about spring clips real quick. I have a couple of DeSantis Companion holsters (one with spring clip, the other with a belt loop) and I called them and asked they send me a belt loop unit. DeSantis was extremely supportive. The spring clip is easily removed from the holster and the belt loop easily attached (need screw driver).

16. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

On the other hand, the spring is versatile and I can clip it to my Wellington boots and wear it under my boot cut jeans when I go country.

17. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Glock 27 in a Comp-Tac/Minotaur MTAC.

As for OWB, most mass-market holsters are too bulky for really good concealment. You will have to spend a bit and get a good custom leather holster, but it will be worth it.

18. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I carried a Colt Govt. model in a milt sparks summer special until we could not carry single actions even off duty.

After that I carried whatever gun I was using on duty in an Alessi speed scabbard. ( OWB)