OEM 9mm barrel vs Conversion 9mm barrel -

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SamP250, Jan 19, 2020.

1. SamP250

SamP250

I own a G19.3, and am well acquainted with how it fires. It's all stock.

I also own a G23.3, for which I bought a Lone Wolf 9mm Conversion barrel.

The G23.3 handles everything about the 9mm ammo better than the G19.3. Smoother, less recoil, more accurate. I was just amazed at how noticeable it is.

I just did the technical comparison between G19.3 and G23.3 - they appear to be identical.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

Is it possible that the extra thickness/added weight of the conversion barrel changes felt-recoil?

Mahalo_.357sig likes this.

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Which ammo does the gun shoot best?

4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Conversion barrels are heavier because the 40S&W is about .022" larger in diameter than a 9mm OD and also the bore is now .356" instead of .40". Plus the breech tab is wider on a 40S&W. More accurate? Usually not because drop in barrels don't have a tighter lockup than OEM. The chambers are shorter so they can be finish chambered reamed to match your hand loads. You'd have to shoot if from a Ransom rest to be sure. At some point you may have to change out the ejector and extractor to get 100% out of a conversion. Generally they run better on +P or 147s.

Mahalo_.357sig likes this.
  5. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I am guessing that the ".3" following the model number means that you,are referencing Gen 3 pistols?

6. ranger1968

ranger1968

That's the only thing I could think of ....all else is pretty much the same.

7. SamP250

SamP250

It's the only logical thing, right? Since everything else is identical. They say using a "Bull Barrel" helps reduce the barrel flip aspect of recoil. I need to compare both barrels - especially the weights of both.

slamdunc likes this.
  8. SamP250

SamP250

Yes - that's a new twist on Glock language as of a couple of years ago, but I just now started using it. Kinda cool huh?

9. Duramaxsky

Duramaxsky

I have found the same to be truce with my G22 VS my G17. I have a LW barrel for my G27 but don't have a G26 to compare it to.

10. SamP250

SamP250

Well man, I'm gonna take my G23 and G22 to the range, long enough to put 100 rounds thru each anyway. But, the range im going to has a cool hangout indoor area. Snack bar, etc. Sometimes a good conversation will fire up about topics like this. They have gunsmiths working up there sometimes, and some good technical conversations happen. I want to become a Glock Armorer eventually.

slamdunc likes this.
  11. SamP250

SamP250

Well, naturally the 9mm is cycled thru with less recoil and flip. I don't think there's any questioning that - just logic/common since for 9 or 10 people. But the point of a G23 is firing a .40 cal - which from what I see does more damage than a 9mm.

12. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Soooo, what ammo shoots best for you? Put aside being politically correct. Brand, weight?

13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Anything that puts more mass in that general area tends to reduce flip. And any addition of mass to the gun at all reduces recoil (assuming equal ammo power in both cases).

I think the overall balance of the gun is a pretty big subjective issue, both in terms of how it cycles and also the dry handling operations.

For example, compare a production 34 to the Shadow 2 and Stock 2 in production trim. In both cases there's about a 70% increase in overall weight, but it's configured pretty differently. The Shadow retains the 34's length, puts a crapload of mass in the dust cover and takes a lot out of the slide.

The Tanfo is about an inch shorter, with a more conservative slide reduction and a pretty massive barrel. So overall mass and mass as a means of resisting flip are very important, but so is the fore-aft balance of the gun.

ranger1968 likes this.
  14. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

Shhh...

Be careful not to mention that in a thread debating the merits of a metal recoil spring assembly guide rod.

-JCN- likes this.
  15. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I've mentioned it enough times over enough years that anyone who's actually interested in the subject should probably have noticed.

-JCN- likes this.
  16. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

Yes, they may have noticed it. But unfortunately that doesn’t mean that they believe it.

17. DrewBone

DrewBone

No. It takes barely more than 0.3 of a second to correctly type the accurate description of any Glock pistol; following such improper language "trends" such as identifying a 3rd generation G17 as a "G17.3" does nothing but reduce a persons perceived level of intelligence, as there is no such thing as a G17.3...there is only the G17 model in Gen1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen4, and Gen5 varieties, which are plainly and purposely described as such - by the manufacturer.

rogn likes this.
  18. ranger1968

ranger1968

It may be some sort of Internet slang, but it's not a proper description; I have been a Glock armorer for a couple of decades and I can tell you it's not a term that Glock, Inc ( who are very particular about terminology) uses....

19. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

Just a point of clarification here, but did Glock ever plainly and purposely describe any of the Glock 17 models as Gen1, Gen2, or Gen3? I mean, has Glock ever advertised a Glock 17 Gen 1 or a Glock 17 Gen 2 or Gen 3 for that matter? I think those are labels that we consumers created. If not, does that mean that our collective reduced intelligence created that trend of naming models Gen1, Gen2, or Gen3?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  20. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I meant noticed the comments, not the physical change. There's no real issue of belief, as it's obviously a physical factor.

Seems like a legit colloquial usage. I do it.

On balance, the pedantic dillholery seems more offensive than the slang, where Glocks are concerned. They're pretty simple devices, so reasonably intelligent people probably understand what a slide catch is, etc.

Any dolt can put a Glock back to stock. Question on the hardware side is, can you make it better than stock? And of course the main question is, what can you actually do with the gun?

Mr Meeseeks likes this.