Odd People

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adjuster, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Adjuster

Adjuster

I ask because of the tragic Oregon shootings. We all know 1 or 2 odd people or people that are just way over the top angry and bitter about life. Maybe at work or they live in your neighborhood. So when do you bring these people to the attention of someone who needs to be aware of this person? I guess for me it would be if I heard actual verbal threats against others or maybe threats to self harm. But then again I have heard 100s of people threaten to hurt other people and I knew nothing would ever become of it. Tough decision. I worked with a guy with issues. He would just all the sudden stand up in the office and accuse people of talking about him saying he could hear them whispering about him and get all irate. Our supervisor would walk him to HR and HR would make him sit there and take his prescribed medication right there in front of them. Then he would return back to the office good to go. Nice guy, we all liked him, but he had this issue.

/

2. First shot

First shot

There's probably thousands of people walking around who should be on meds, but who wants to admit it till they bottom out in some form. Kind of like drug or alcohol abuse. First you have to admit you have a problem. Believe me, I know from experience. It's really screwy, but just because you think someone is whacky, you can't do much till they prove you right, then it's often too late. Just the way it is and that's one of the reasons I CCW. First shot.

tic-tok-GLOCK likes this.

3. plp

plp

I attract weird people like I'm some kind of dysfunctional lightning rod. All my friends have issues, and spend some of every week taking some of them to their appointments, making sure they take their meds, being the sounding board for some really messed up stuff.

As I'm writing this I'm trying to think of my 'normal' friends, and realize there aren't that many. Then again, quite a few of my weird friends started off normal, maybe I'm a bad influence?

Doesn't matter, as I have far more good days that are good because of the people in them.

4. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

I must confess that I am attracted to plp. :whistling: :supergrin:

What would y'all suggest? That the government establish some bureaucratic norm for proper behavior and lock up anyone that colors outside of the lines?

Bruce M and silentpoet like this.
  5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

tic-tok-GLOCK likes this.
  6. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

"Treat everyone you meet with dignity and respect but always have a plan to kill them." Stay armed and vigilant my friends.

NN

silentpoet likes this.
  7. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Most of my best friends are odd.

I don't know any bitter people.

(or I do, but don't friend them)

8. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I used to be the smartest guy from everyone in everyone in our group.

Now I'm the Odd guy.

They didn't get any smarter, I just got odder.

9. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I think good of everyone, until they try to kill me.

10. silentpoet

silentpoet

My gun is on my hip until just before I break out the booze.

11. droidfire

droidfire

normal is different for everyone. what is normal for me is not for you.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

It is not especially difficult to predict the types that are likely to commit or try to commit a mass murder. It is more difficult to predict which specific persons of those types will do it.

13. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

This is a tough one. It's really tough! We live in a "free" society. You can travel from state to state without showing you "papers". This is a slippery slope issue. How much control of your life do you wish to give to to a government agency that receives a call about YOU? Today, somebody thinks you are being a bad, bad parent by whacking your kid if they do something stupid, can call and report you. Then, after just one call, you get put into the database and flagged as a nutcase? Unfortunately, freedom means that you may not always be safe from all harm. IMPO, that's why we have the 2nd amendment - period.

14. First shot

First shot

Right on, inthefrey. First shot.

15. K. Foster

K. Foster

Tough question.
    If someone is talking about shooting people or seems to idolize spree shooters, and your gut says this guy’s dangerous, yeah you should probably call the police. But what are they going to do? Should they take away his guns or put him in jail because you think he’s not right?
    Here’s the flip side of that coin: You do something to make your neighbor mad like mow your grass too early in the morning. He knows you have guns and calls the cops saying “This guy is outside pointing a gun at kids.” Should the cops come and take your guns? Think people don’t lie to be vindictive?
    Bottom line: When you live in a country as free as ours, occasionally a very small percentage of people will abuse that freedom and do bad things. Sad but true. I would rather live in a place where I’m free to travel, own guns and do what I want within the law, then in a place where the government could put me in prison or confiscate my possessions without proof and due process.