Odd or unusual cc handguns?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Valmet, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Mayonator

Mayonator

I carried a .357 derringer for a little while. I didn't know any better. I figured it made sense since my pistol at the time was a revolver. I fired it exactly one time. It was like being smacked in the palm with an iron rod. I took it back where I got it and traded for something else, I forget what, but I got rid of that thing.

kahrcarrier, Gray_Rider and fastbolt like this.
  2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep, as I recall, my thinking was something like ....

1. Gift from dad ...

2. Only 1 or 2 less shots than my 5 & 6-shot revolvers ...

3. Bigger and heavier than the 2-shot derringers, and having 2 more rounds (less kick, right?? Uh huh) ...

And then, the Loooooogggg "DA-Plus Some Extra" trigger pull, combined with wondering which of the offset barrels would be firing with minute-of-beach-ball accuracy, and the uniquely shaped solid grip that somehow managed to hit all the hot spots to be found in your palm and the web of your hand ...

... All resulting in the sudden epiphany of why-the-hell-did-I-decide-to-carry this?!?

The lack of easily found leather, and the boat anchor weight of the derringer, with its constant affinity for trying to obey the law of gravity and slip down from your waist, were just added "features" that didn't really come to mind until you tried to shoot and carry it. :)

Dad just chuckled when I described my satisfaction with it, and offered to take it back in trade for another revolver I'd carry and want to use. :)

Gray_Rider and Mayonator like this.

3. Mayonator

Mayonator

Yeah, I looked it up out of curiosity. American Derringer Co. made them in the early 90's for just a little while. Looks like a heavy thing.

I just had the 2-shot American derringer... actually I had the .45/.410 for a little while before I traded it for the .357 model. I thought it was cool, until I shot a phone directory with the only short little shells I could find that fit in it. Most of the shot didn't even make it half-way thru, so I figured as nasty as it was, it wouldn't do.

My gift from dad was a black powder pistol. It had a tendency to chain-fire regardless of how carefully I loaded and greased the cylinders. Figured that'd be a good way to lose a hand. That, and it was about as accurate as a sling-shot, so it got used as a paperweight.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

High Standard 2 shot 22 mag derringer, Polish Radom P64 9mm Makarov. These guns look like a Walther PPK on steroids but the slide is rounded in the rear so that they don't bite the hand that feeds it. Nice guns and good shooters actually but not the ideal carry gun because of the weight and the DA/SA trigger.

[​IMG]

dukeblue91, Quigley and Gray Dood like this.
  5. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Mr. Berto,

How in the name of Sam Patch do you hold on to that little howitzer when you pull the trigger?

My SW 642 feels like someone hit me in the hand with a lead sap when I shoot it with standard ammo, and I replaced the boot grips with Hogue recoil tamers!

I know the tape is there for a reason, but still!

Old Gray

6. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

And posts like these are what makes post like these incredibly interesting!

Most Fudds, the general public, and (hysterical fourth grade girl scream) anti gunners would have an underwear changing experience if they knew what passed them legally every day on the streets, highways and byways, and businesses every day of the year.

To say nothing about what is tucked away in shop aprons, business formal, baby changing bags, 'scrub's', delivery uniforms, mechanic's coveralls, and you let your imagination run wild.

Many years ago my wife was with me when visiting and aunt and uncle. My aunt popped open her purse for some reason, and down there in the never never was a .38 snub revolver. My wife, a nominal gun person was so surprised her mouth dropped open. My petite little aunt just smiled and said, "I've carried that in there for years!" and snapped her purse closed without another word.

At that time I had known her since early childhood and never would have guessed my mother's baby sister was "pack'n a Roscoe" all those years.

And I'll bet you the ranch she could produce it and use it before the average person could even take a breath. She is widowed now and I would lay money that little revolver rests there still

Gray_Rider
    Old Secessh

"We don't hold grudges. We remember the facts."

orangejeep06 and walkin' trails like this.
  7. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Ohhhh Mr. Bolt. You had me laughing so hard there I about tossed my tuna and crackers!

I just remembered some different guns I have carried too.

Astra Constable .380 Looks like a Walther PPK
    FIE .25 Auto (Very accurate. Would load anything including Glassers)
    Davis .22 Magnum Derringer
    AMT Backup .380. Nice little gun but at 22 oz loaded a very heavy little pocket rocket. After many years of carry (93 till 2000) I sold it and purchased my KelTec P32.

Sold the Astra decades ago when I bought my 1st and only Colt Government 1911.

The FIE was sold too, though I wish now I had kept it. It was very heavy and being a .25 I was afraid I would get to liking it too much and talk myself into carrying it as a CCW.

Davis derringer was just too heavy, clumsy to carry, slow to load, and underpowered even for a BUG or hideout, so it went too.

Thanks for the great and very informative thread there Valmet!

Gray_Rider
    Old Secessh

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Valmet likes this.
  8. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Borg,

I have posted about this before, but over in the SW site, a former fighter pilot shot down over Viet Nam reported being captured by two NVA. While being lead into captivity he managed to draw his Hi Standard .22 that they missed in searching him. He shot the one dead with a bullet to the eye socket, and wounded the second with a shot to the chest. Wrestling the man's AK he finished the job and evaded capture till he reached friendly lines.

Gray_Rider
    Old Secessh

orangejeep06 and walkin' trails like this.
  9. fg17

fg17

Not that unusual but I sometimes carry my 4” S&W 686 .357. I don’t know to many that carry full size revolvers outside of woods carry.
    Have carried a Davis 22 magnum derringer, NAA .22 magnum mini revolvers, Ruger mk2, old colt OP .38 and a Ruger 44 magnum vaquero.

Not an unusual gun but I have been carrying my Glock 17 that I use for GSSF with competition sights, plain black front and rear with a narrower front sight.

10. Ralph Mitchell

Ralph Mitchell

I carry a Glock 19.

11. janice6

janice6

Couple of years each for: Rhino 2" .357 Magnum. 4" Rhino .357 Magnum. FN 5.7.

I liked them all.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  12. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

I've carried several 38 special snubbies at times but I don't consider them "unusual". For a while, a Berretta 22 short tip up. A 44 Super Blackhawk on occasion when I was young. Recently, I carried a 44 Spl Colt SAA Sheriff's model. I think once I carried a Colt single shot derringer in 22 short for a couple of hours (?)

13. AGF0526

AGF0526

Yes I have, 32 Frommer stop, TT-33 Tokarev, CZ-52 , PM Makarov , TK. 20190215_130206.jpg 20190215_113152.jpg 20180101_005721.jpg

Gray Dood, kahrcarrier and Valmet like this.
  14. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Since it’s resurrection after a year or so, it’s been enjoyable to re-read this thread

15. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

FN 5.7

Attached Files:

16. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Well, despite the age of the thread, I'll occasionally carry "oddball " CCWs. They are :

Bulgarian Makarov in 9x18mm. Dead accurate, super reliable, and not a slouch when stuffed with Hornady Critical Defense 90 grainers. (plus it's got a little "Spy vs Spy" mojo imo. :) )

20181014_210015.jpg

And a frequent companion when walking Abby the Wondermutt in the evening, NAA "Pug" .22 magnum. Just disappears in a pocket, even in the holster. The XS Sights are lots more accurate than you'd think. Great little popper.

20180608_203514.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    orangejeep06 and evlbruce like this.
  17. LimeyLad

LimeyLad Banned

I used to carry a Taurus PT940 in 40 S&W. It was a very dependable pistol and only 1 of a couple 40 calibers that I like shooting. It was Stainless over AL alloy with a 3 position safety. You could carry Cocked and Locked or hammer down. I loaned it to my brother years ago when he was in Medical School and Docs and staff were getting robbed in the parking lot for drugs. He still carries it!
    31586.jpg

18. -JCN-

-JCN-

Sometimes I like a good revolver.
    6 shot 9mm Sky Hawk on the left and 8 shot 357 magnum Smith on the right.

Full grips help me shoot them quickly despite the light weight and recoil. They both use the same soft holsters.

71DBF942-4D87-443C-8B7E-ED20322D2423.jpeg

I can run the 2019 FBI Handgun course of fire at 100% with the Smith even with a mandatory reload. It goes from 3 yards out to 25 yards. Par time is 63 seconds, can do it faster than that and not drop a shot.
    BDA63926-A4CA-4DFF-9B42-AADEE826F96E.jpeg

19. evlbruce

evlbruce

I've ccw'd one for more than a decade, they are the perfect size for it. I still would if it weren't for that long and heavy DA.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  20. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

Fun thread, glad it reappeared! Before Ohio had licensed concealed carry in 2004, there was a "prudent man" affirmative defense to the charge of carrying a concealed weapon, uh, loophole. Can't think of a short way to explain that, but I'd guess most of you get the gist of it.

There were times back then I felt a very valid need to carry, but certainly didn't want to take my chances with that defense, so my gun would be something very small. The Beretta models 21 or 950 in .25 acp fit the bill for me, other than the nagging concern that shot placement was critical! The dang things were 100% reliable, and shooting pals reported that with theirs as well.

Quigley likes this.