Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
7,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the story -

A couple of weeks ago I was t an outdoor range and trying to sight in one of my MUTT ARs. I was using Magpul 10 and 30 round Gen3 magazines and trying to shot 5 round groups.

EVERYTIME I tried, ONLY the first round would fail to fire due to a light primer strike. I would eject that round and the rest would fire fine.

I was using PMC XTAC XM193s. Previously I have fired Federal XM193s without issue. What I fine odd is it would only happen on the first round.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
256 Posts
So here's the story -

A couple of weeks ago I was t an outdoor range and trying to sight in one of my MUTT ARs. I was using Magpul 10 and 30 round Gen3 magazines and trying to shot 5 round groups.

EVERYTIME I tried, ONLY the first round would fail to fire due to a light primer strike. I would eject that round and the rest would fire fine.

I was using PMC XTAC XM193s. Previously I have fired Federal XM193s without issue. What I fine odd is it would only happen on the first round.

Any ideas?
Where you allowing the bolt to slam when loading?

·
Banned
7,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where you allowing the bolt to slam when loading?
I was thinking same, maybe bolt partial closure on first round due to hand chambering (riding the charging handle home)
I don't think I was, I tried to be aware of that because that was my first thought.

I'll take it out again and try. Thanks for the replies!

·
Bird Catcher
2,763 Posts
I’m with the others. Bolt may not be fully closed. I’ve found the primers in PMC to be harder than most, if your bolt is out of battery just a bit and hard primer s it could be the perfect setup for a misfire.

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
I've been shooting a whole lot of PMC Xtac recently, never had that issue. How many rounds through the rifle? Is anything worn? Is the tip of the FP in good shape?

Assuming the parts are in spec, I agree that the bolt may be just half a hair OOB.

·
Banned
100 Posts
1) Make sure you have your bolt carrier group very well lubricated. ARs like to be run wet and there is no harm in doing so, get those rails nice and slippery. I prefer grease because it stays on better and longer.

2) Be sure to yank the charging handle all the way back and then let it fly home, all the way back, release fingers when it is all the way back, and let the bolt slam home.

If you do those two things, I bet this will take care of the issue.

·
Banned
28,223 Posts
1) Make sure you have your bolt carrier group very well lubricated. ARs like to be run wet and there is no harm in doing so, get those rails nice and slippery. I prefer grease because it stays on better and longer.

2) Be sure to yank the charging handle all the way back and then let it fly home, all the way back, release fingers when it is all the way back, and let the bolt slam home.

If you do those two things, I bet this will take care of the issue.
No reason to let the charging handle slam home. The bolt release should be used.

·
Banned
100 Posts
No reason to let the charging handle slam home. The bolt release should be used.
Wrong. Where do people get this crap?

Chambering a first round when you have the time to do it is best done by pulling the CH all the way back, and at maximum travel, simply letting it go, you get maximum spring power on chambering the round. Bolt release is fine when you don't have time to really slam home the first round.

The guy is asking for advice and you are giving crap advice.

·
Banned
28,223 Posts
Wrong. Where do people get this crap?

Chambering a first round when you have the time to do it is best done by pulling the CH all the way back, and at maximum travel, simply letting it go, you get maximum spring power on chambering the round. Bolt release is fine when you don't have time to really slam home the first round.

The guy is asking for advice and you are giving crap advice.
You are already at "maximum travel" at the bolt stop. I got that from the Basic Rifle Marksmanship Course Ft. Leonard Wood MO. I don't know anyone that recommends letting the charging handle slam back into the rifle.... except for you.

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
You are already at "maximum travel" at the bolt stop. I got that from the Basic Rifle Marksmanship Course Ft. Leonard Wood MO. I don't know anyone that recommends letting the charging handle slam back into the rifle.... except for you.
Absolutely incorrect.

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
...but by all means post up the contrary evidence.
Go grab an AR. After clearing it, lock the bolt back. Grab the CH, and pull it fully to the rear. If it moves rearward at all, it was obviously not at "maximum travel" while sitting on the bolt catch.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.