close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Odd, almost eerie discovery on my property...

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Dandapani, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Dandapani

Dandapani

We live on 2 heavily wooded/brushed filled acres here in Florida. I've been over a lot of the property but there's still some areas I haven't inspected closely. Last evening, my 27 year old son who has been living with us this past year came into the house to tell me he found something weird on the property and wanted to show me. He said he found a concrete block with a dog chain attached.

So we tromped out into the brush and indeed I saw what he described: an old, rusted, heavy duty dog chain clipped around an older, larger style concrete construction block. The chain was extended out into the leaf litter and eventually became buried in the vegetation.

We looked at each other and wondered what was at the end of it. It came into my mind that perhaps there was a dog collar attached at the end and that if that was the case, someone likely had tied a dog up in the brush and left it...

My son proceeded to drag the chain to him. We watched as the chain cut through the leaf litter and soft sand. It seemed to catch a bit so he pulled a little harder when it suddenly let go and he reeled it in...

At the end of the dog lead was an old, rusted "choke chain" (a.k.a. training collar). Now I'm left wondering if my first impressions were correct. Had someone tied up an unwanted dog and left it in the woods to die many years back? We couldn't find any bones, but in our warm climate, not much would be left of a carcass on the soil surface. Even the bones would have been nawed by the mice.

I'm a bit upset by this find.

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

Oh, one note I forgot to make. After discovering the collar at the end of the chain, we unhooked it carefully and set down the chain. We wanted the "dog" to be free.

3. gabbygus

gabbygus

I must say, it was sort of eerie. The chain was very old. Must of been years ago. Plus the shrubs and over growth is so thick. It be hard to find something.

Makes you wonder, this our two acres. Use to be part of a 15 acres. All owned by one person. Untill they divided it up.

The person did not live on this part. Lived in the back. It seems this part was always wooded. No home was even on this part.

So why would you keep a dog here? Just one of those strange things. That you can only wonder about.

4. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

that is weird, but it sounds like they just left a dog to die years ago. I am trying not to think about it. Some humans are really cruel and an animal's only "crime" was just being born.......:sad:

5. katana8869

katana8869 NativeFloridian

Hey Dan,

I wanted to share a story with you that may make you feel a little better, at least I hope it does.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine and I were hiking in the woods near here on the outskirts of the croom forest and we came on 3 dogs staked out in the woods in the middle of nowhere. They each had a bucket of water next to them and it was obvious someone had been out to check on them.

My buddy said that sometimes people will train hunting dogs by leaving them out in the "environment" for awhile.

I know nothing at all about dog hunting so maybe it's true.
    From what you described some one may have been doing something simular on your place at one point. That set-up would probably be like hobbling a horse. The dog could drag the brick around, but obviously would not go very far. Some one may have even been trying to teach a dog that liked to wander to stay home.

I still don't like the idea of course, I hate to think of a dog with a choker around it's neck with a block attached to it.

There is no doubt that whoever set that up deserved to be treated the same way, but I don't think it was an intentionally sinister act.

Sometimes the actions of some of these old Crackers don't make alot of sense.

Regards,

Mike

6. kevin101

kevin101

Back when I was a kid, we had a neighbor who would let his dog out while being attached by a choke chain that was connected to a long line which was tied around a tree. When he would let the dog free to come back in the house, he slipped the choke chain off of the dog instead of unclipping the line. Hopefully this was the case here too.

7. Los Suenos

Los Suenos JSC

Many people down here "buff" their bulldog's up by tying them to cinder blocks, old tires and other stuff. Usually not with a choke chain though. Common with harnesses. Some guys I know still worm their dog's with a can of coppenhagen. Of course these guys are idiot rednecks but stranger things go on.

8. gabbygus

gabbygus

That does help a lot. I would rather think it was some ole Redneck. Training his hunting dog. And not someone placing their dog, out there to die.

Dan, and I found it very strange. We have five dogs. And would never do that. We do not chain our dogs. We built a fence. My dogs sleep and stay in the house with us. They go out to do their business. And of course to play.

They are part of our family. We have always loved animals. I feel they deserve our respect, and care. They are not desposable. I can't stand people, that think they are. They are living creatures, with feelings. They love us, no matter what. If only people could love as deeply.

Oh golly, I am running off at the mouth. Now you know why they call me Gabby. Oh and the Gus part. Is the name of the horse. I use to own. Loved that horse so. When we sold the farm. We sold Gus too. He was a very gentle fellow. Very easy going. Nice trail horse.

I don't mind people finding a good new home for their pets. Just not dumping them. I would of kept Gus, if we still had a farm. I miss that horse. He was my baby.

9. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

:wavey: Good post.

10. nightwolf1974

nightwolf1974

good for you. but, i'd investigate it some.

11. Dandapani

Dandapani

Please explain?

I do know the name of the original 16 acre owner. She lives in Georgia. What do you propose I do? I'm all ears....