close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OCing in SW Ohio

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Mad Man 666, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Mad Man 666

Mad Man 666

Hey guys I have a question about OCing and for anyone that lives in the SW Ohio area (Butler County). I have had my CPL for a short time and have actually been thinking of OCing as this is legal in OH.

My question is does anyone have any good,bad,ugly stories from my area. I have NEVER seen anyone OCing in my area and am just wondering how people would re-act. I live in Hamilton (aka Hamiltucky) we have alot of Kentucky Rednecks in my area hence the nickname so I might not get alot of re-action:whistling:. But we do have alot of stuck up wannabe Rich people in the town next to me (they think they are better then everyone). I have also seen alot of reports (mainly from northern OH) of LEOs still not knowing the new state laws. So im not sure as to how the local, county (HQ is located in Hamilton) LEOs would re-act.

I didnt want to hi-jack the sticky.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

If you don't see anyone else open carry in your area I think you can expect a negative reaction from people, calls to the police and being questioned. I don't think it's good thing to do, but it's up to you. I'll be in Warren Co. this weekend, but my pistol will be concealed.

3. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

There are people here from Ohio who open carry. Hopefully some will be along soon.

:cool:

4. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

5. JUSTBOB

JUSTBOB

This is just my opinion. Not saying what is right or wrong.

There are many reasons to carry concealed.
    There are many reasons not to open carry.

Just a couple of reasons why I will never open carry:

1) There is no benefit in upsetting the ordinary citizen, that doesn't understand, or care about whether it is legal or not legal. I am not concerned in the least, whether they get upset. I don't want to get hassled, or draw any unnecessary attention to myself. Remember, if I don't benefit by it, why do it.

2) If I open carry, and enter into a situation where a "bad guy" already has his gun drawn, and he sees my weapon, he automatically knows who is his biggest threat, and who he needs to be shot first. This is a no-win situation.

3) One of your best advantages is knowing you are armed, and no one else has a clue. This may be the difference between life and death.

I am very familiar with Hamiltucky. I live in Springdale.
    I will not go to Hamilton without carrying, just never open carry.

Know that I am not judging anyone who believes in open carry.
    I just see no benefit in advertising it. Every benefit in concealing it.

6. Denied

Denied NRA Member

Yes open carry is legal, but it is seldom seen in the area are in. IF you open carry expect to be checked out by LE and don't be surprised if it happens often. You could also be putting your CHL in jeopardy if in the opinion of LE you are on the shaky side ie; why is this person open carrying when he has a CHL?
    YMMV

7. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

My wife's family is from Fairfield/Hamilton. I OC when we're there, and haven't had a problem. My wife's cousin is married to a Hamilton cop, and he said he doesn't care how you carry, as long as you're legal.

8. jeff painter

jeff painter

I live in West Chester, Ohio right next to Hamilton and have thought about how well OCing would go in the area. I don't know if it is worth it to me to deal with any fall out, but I might consider an organized event if something was put together.

9. Machew

Machew

Well put.

10. Thors7Glocks

Thors7Glocks

JUSTBOB could not have said it any better. I am from the Hamiltucky area as well and I dont see any reason why I would draw that attention to myself. Good luck in your decisions though.

11. myesque

myesque

No... Very Very well put... LOL

12. Mad Man 666

Mad Man 666

JUSTBOB very well put.

I probably wouldn't OC that often around here but it could be a interesting experiment one day.

13. Price

Price

I am from Hamilton too, grew up and family still lives right around five points on the eastside of Hamilton. I live in Cincinnati now that I go to school down here. I have been carrying a little while and had a landlord that was a veteran Cincinnati cop, great guy have alot of respect for him, he advised me that although legal you can pretty much count on a major hassle and maybe even some charges you would have to fight in court. You would win but you may have to take the time and money to deal with it. Personally if you are trying to get a OC group together or make statement and exercise your rights then go ahead, if it is just the way you want to carry then maybe you should weigh the pros and cons, I think you will probably decide it isnt worth it. Either way, if I run into while your Ocing I promise not to panic, scream, run for the exits and call the Sherriffs like the crowd of sheep will be.:supergrin:

14. vista461

vista461

As someone who lives in one of the two states that doesn't have CCW, I don't understand why someone who could conceal,would rather open carry. :dunno:

To me open carrying just make you the first one to get the bullet if you're in a place that's getting robbed.