close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OCD or just being smart?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Forty-eight, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Forty-eight

Forty-eight

I was showing my new Glock 17 to a friend a couple of days ago, and the friend pointed out to me that I had an almost obsessive habit of checking to make sure the gun is not loaded.
    Before handing the gun to my friend, I removed the full magazine and them removed the round from the chamber. I then put the full magazine and the single round in my top desk drawer and locked the drawer. Then I put an empty magazine in the gun, and immediately removed the magazine and checked the chamber. Then I put the empty magazine in the gun, racked the slide back enough to show my friend the gun was unloaded, and then handed the gun to him, instructing him to keep his finger off the trigger. As soon as he handed the gun back to me, I removed the magazine, and checked the chamber to ensure that the gun was unloaded. Now, I knew that the gun was unloaded when I handed it to him, because I checked it. He was in my presence the entire time he held the gun, and I knew that he had not loaded it, because I kept my eye on the gun the whole time he had it (about 30 seconds). So why did I check it when he handed it back to me (his question)? My answer - to make sure the gun was not loaded.
    My friend is not a gun person, and has never thought about the process of handling a firearm, and how safety is paramount, so to him, my actions seemed like those of someone with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (his words).
    To be honest, it is almost obsessive. I know in my mind, that many times when I check my gun, that it is unloaded (or that it is supposed to be unloaded), but I check it anyway.
    I was not this way when I first started handling firearms. It is a developed behavior. Obsessive? Maybe, but I wouldn't want to be any other way.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. firedog978

firedog978

I agree with you! I too am obsessive about that.

3. BulgarWheat

BulgarWheat

I check to see if a round is chambered every time I pick up a weapon. Was taught that as a kid, and it was reinforced when I was in the Army.

BTW, I'm teaching both of my kids to be just as "compulsive" as I am with ALL weapons. It's the right thing to do.

4. johnson8861

johnson8861 Daddo Chomper

I check all weapon anytime it comes into my possession as well as when it leaves my possession.
    Who has empty mags laying around?

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Roger That. :supergrin:

6. Forty-eight

Forty-eight

I have 1 empty mag specifically for fondling!

7. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Not wrong with checking your weapon no matter how many times you do it.

8. Conrad559

Conrad559

nothing wrong with how many times you checked your chamber...although i will say, if i haven't taken my sight off of the gun for one moment, i personally wouldn't check it a billion times...if i leave the room while he's checkin it out, i'll def. do a safety inspection

9. rns-glock37

rns-glock37

you can never be too safe when handling a firearm. the majority of nd or accidental shooting happen because people relied soley on an external safety or some other man made gizmo instead of good ole common sense and safe practice. anything man made can and will fail from time to time but if you use or have a compulsive disorder type mentality when handling a firearm the likelihood of you being a statistic is greatly minimized. just my .02 which in todays economy is not saying much at all.:crying:

10. angrydogtattoo

angrydogtattoo

you just can't check'em too much, specially around people who may or may not have had that much experience around guns, I'll bet your friend starts doing the same thing from now on!:whistling:

11. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Sure, you may be paranoid. The question is, are you paranoid enough?

There is no such thing as "too safe" when dealing with deadly weapons.

Any time my attention gets taken away from a weapon that I "know" is empty, I check it again. This can be anything from leaving it in an empty room and coming right back, or setting it down and picking it up again. Or even checking it, keeping physical possession of it, but getting distracted by something, then checking it again.

The point is, I do not rely on my memory that I 'just' verified that it's empty. Memories can be tricky things. Maybe the memory I have that I 'just' checked it isn't really from 30 seconds ago; maybe it's a deja vu moment where I'm remembering a nearly-identical situation from six months back. Don't trust your memory. Trust the empty chamber + empty magwell that you can SEE.

12. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Your being smart. Story for you guys; I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check my weapons. Even if I sat it down for just a second and it didn't leave my sight, when my hands touch that weapon, no matter if is the first, second, third, or fourth time, I clear it, and visually inspect the chamber........continuing with my story; my brother in law has a little bit of experience with guns, enough that I trusted him not to do something retarded (my first mistake). He was fondling my HK USP 45, and I left the room to take hit up the latrine; I come back, he's gone, and the weapon is in the box. "OK" I say to myself, so I continue with my day. Later that evening, I get the USP 45 out to show my wife, and I pick it up out of the box, drop the mag, then rack the slide. *Thunk*. A .45 230gr Remington Golden Saber flies out of the chamber, and hits the ground. "WHAT THE ****!!!!!" I say to myself. My first mistake was leaving him alone with my gun, and my second was not checking it after he ****ed with my USP. Lessons I learned? If someone is fondling your gun, check it afterwards. Lesson 2, you can NEVER, NEVER, NEVER be too safe. Just because its clear when you put it back in the box, doesn't mean its clear when you take it out, as I exhibited above. I learned two good lessons from that day.

13. area727

area727 G23

Safety first. Better to be safe then sorry. It only takes a second, for something to happen, and potential disaster to strike.

14. Kwanger

Kwanger

Same here. In addition when handing over a firearm to someone else (who knows what they are doing, I might add) I always lock it open so they can see for themselves it is clear.

15. pseudosuit

pseudosuit

If I check it and it remains in my hand then it is unloaded. I don't have to keep checking it. As soon as it leaves my hand it is "loaded" again and I recheck it.

16. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

The correct answer here is to say you can never be too safe, but
    I have seen some OCD types.
    I used to know this guy who would put a carton of milk in the fridge.
    Close the door, then open it to see if it was still there, then close it, then open it. This went on 3-4 times. He was sick.
    He did not trust his mind to tell him he had put the milk back.

I have seen the same thing with guns. Rack the slide. Check. Rack the slide. Check. Rack the slide .Check.
    There reaches a point where it's not safety, it is indeed OCD.

Was yours OCD? Probably not. But checking it again after you locked up the loaded mag, and you checked it before handing it to him is a bit excesssive. You watched the gun the whole time, you ensured it was not loaded. You did everything right, so that last check probably had your friend scratching his head.

I wouldn't worry about one extra check. But if it's gets where you are checking it every minute no matter what, you have a problem.
    But then again, I have a strong mind, I check the coffee pot once before leaving for work, I check if my car is off once, I check if my doors are locked once and the alarm is on, so I don't get robbed,I check to make sure my dogs are in once, so they don't freeze, I don't have to do things 4 times to convince myself I did it right the first time. I have extreme respect for guns, but it's one of a lot of things that can kill me.
    I only have to check one time.
    But I don't play with guns either, so there is not much opportunity to screwup beyond checking one time. If you are playing with guns all day, dry firing or handling them, check away.

17. The Hawk

The Hawk

There are two sounds you do not want to hear when you pull the trigger. One is a click from a 'loaded' weapon. The other is a bang from an 'unloaded' weapon.
    Stay safe and keep doing what you are doing.

18. israel 54

israel 54 I'm here now...

Every gun is loaded, unless checked double checked and until you are !00% and then check again.

19. HK Dan

HK Dan

I teach 'em to check the gun when they pick it up, if it's been out of their physical control for any length of time (holsters count as "in control"), when handing it to someone, and when taking it from someone.

No amount of convenience is worth a dead person.

Dan

20. Cambo

Cambo

Yesterday I received some ammo from a client. She had taken it from her father who was in his 90s and not handling his guns safely. She didn't want money for it, she just wanted it out of her house. It was packaged in boxes and bags. In one bag was a small box which I opened. There was a .25 caliber Beretta inside. I immediately check to see if it's loaded. Yes, a full mag in the gun, 1 in the chamber, hammer back ready to go. I was very glad I followed procedure.