Ocala Nat'l Forest Carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Truffle8Shuffle, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

I'm going camping with some friends in a few weeks at the Salt Springs camp ground in the Ocala National Forest and just want to make sure that I've got all my ducks in a row and aren't missing something. I've got my CWP but was thinking of going OC whilst camping for the comfort of it.

I've done my research and found the following:
    FL HB1029 Allowing for carrying of firearms in National Forests

FL Statute 790.25 (3)(h
    ) "(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 (prohibiting open carry) and 790.06 (concealed carry) do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:,
    (h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;"

If I've missed anything, please let me know. Also, if you've been to the shooting range on 88 let me know how it is.

Thanks! :wavey:

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

This range is infamous around here. I have been out a few times and will likely never go again.

Unless things have changed there:

No range officer, no supervision or rule enforcement of any kind. Roof over firing line looks like swiss cheese. Target stands, if there are any, are usually shot down to splinters. People have died on the firing line, showing off their Cowboy "skills". Supposedly people have had their firearms stolen from the line while changing targets.

The only alternative that I'm aware of within 60 miles though is to join a club but that's not really practical for your purpose.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010

3. mrbray101

mrbray101

Not really sure about the laws but I have shot quite a bit at the range. I'm from Ocala so growing up we shot there a lot. If you go at oddball times its not bad. I wouldn't even think of going on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. If you go on a weekday morning there is normally nobody there. Rusty is right though, some crazy stuff has been known to happen there. Have fun out there, I grew up on little lake kerr, about 5 minutes from Salt springs. Thats a great area.

4. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Thanks for the head's up about the range. I had read about the "Cowboy" shooting himself, but I haven't been to a range where someone hasn't shot themself, whether or not intentional. I did read that the place was just renovated but the fact that there's no RO's or ANY supervision made me apprehensive, that's why I asked.

We'd be going on Saturday morning, so that sounds like a bad idea from your advice. I guess you can't hope for too much when a range is free and unsupervised. Drats...:crying:

5. mrbray101

mrbray101

You can go on a Saturday and take your chances. Its not like there are gangs hiding in the bushes stealing guns, and people shooting all over at will. Just be cautious. You may get there and it may just be a few people or it may be 20 people that haven't a clue about gun safety. If you go really early it would be fine probably.

6. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

I read that they only allow paper targets for pistol/rifle range and clays for the shotgun range. How is this enforced if there's no one working there?:dunno:

7. mrbray101

mrbray101

Its not really enforced. Every once in a while a forest ranger will roll up. Its more of just one of the rules, I've seen most people follow it. There are cement sidewalks running parallel with the firing line that have pvc pipes that the targets insert into. Its probably not very safe to fire into anything on the ground since there is concrete though.

8. B.Reid

B.Reid

Get a hunting license and if anyone asks you are coyote hunting, in most states coyotes are open to hunting year round. You don't have to be successful. You could carry a call to be more convincing.

9. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Camping is covered in the statute below. I believe I will be fine OCing, I just wanted to check with the GT Braintrust. I would love to pop some yotes or hogs if I ran across them. But that won't be happening unless in self defense.

FL Statute 790.25 (3)(h) "(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 (prohibiting open carry) and 790.06 (concealed carry) do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:,
    (h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;"

10. brboyer

brboyer

You'll be fine.

I like to open carry all the time, so I always have a small tent and sleeping bag with me everywhere I go so I can! :whistling:

11. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

I have no problem with the paper targets on the rifle/pistol range, I am more concerned about the shotgun portion. My friends and I weren't really looking to do any skeet/trap shooting so that part about only using clays confused me. This is from the online pdf brochure here:
    6. RIFLE/PISTOL RANGE: OFFICIAL PAPER TARGETS ATTACHED TO PROVIDED TARGET FRAMES ONLY. SHOTGUN RANGE: TRAP THROWN CLAY TARGETS ONLY. NO CANS, BOTTLES OR OTHER LITTER ALLOWED. PUT OLD TARGETS IN THE TRASH. PLACE TARGET ON THE FRAME FOR STANDING OR BENCH SHOOTING.

Are there some sort of "frames" for placing clays on the shotgun range? Or is that referring to the pistol/rifle side? If anything, I'll just find a phone number to call and ask someone.

12. mrbray101

mrbray101

The pistol rifle side has about 12 lanes or so. Each lane can adjust their targets. I think its like 10 yards, 25, 50, and 100. You stand behind the bench to shoot. About 4 lanes or so have seats for rifle shooting or whatever.

The shotgun range is basically for shooting clays. Some people throw them by hand or a machine. It's not set up for "target" shooting. Now granted if you go early enough you could probably do whatever you want but sometimes a forest ranger will pop in.

13. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

:bump: for anyone else who might have some input on the OC issue. :wavey:

14. Otown407

Otown407

There are rangers stations as you enter the forest. Stop by, say hi, grab a map and ask about OC. By the statues you should be fine, but never hurts to check with local authorities. The rangers there have always been very nice and informative when I have camped/atved in the forest.

15. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Thanks for the reply. I feel safe with the statutes. Hopefully someone with first-hand experience carrying CC/OC with chime in.