Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pull.Mark.Bird.
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our OC drill was the standard, spray and small obstacle course/draw down on suspect before starting decon.

The biggest change for me was that I decided to experiment with Sudecon wipes for the decontamination portion and I wanted to give a report on what I found from using them and for anyone else that has heard of them but not found much first hand accounts. I read about it on a post dealing with OC training and decided that why not give them a try. For only $1.50 a packet they could be worth more than gold if they worked.

The OC started to burn right away after being sprayed, vision was limited and it wasn't fun. Immediately after completing the last drill I went up to the decon area and did not go straight to the water, DO NOT use water if you have the wipes (more on this later). I got my first pack open and began wiping my face off. Still painfull but the liquid had a cooling sensation. They got me a chair and I was able to then open the second packet and squeeze it over my eyes with my head tipped back, allowing it to flow down either side of my face. I then took the towellet and drapped it over the affected areas and my face. It took a few minutes for my breathing pattern to stabilize to where I could breath comfortably.

This was my first full OC exposure so I do not have an account on the difference between my experience and one not using Sudecon.

The burning began to subside pretty quickly. I then began dabbing my eyes to remove some of the Sudecon solution and start to strobe my eyes. I wiped my face from time to time to reapply some solution to keep my skin moist and comfortable but no more was applied to my eyes. My right eye came back to function first and my left not long after, eplaped time approximately 10 minutes.

I was fully functional and the burning of my face was minimal within 15 minutes. I followed the directions on the package fully.

My partner did the same exercise but forgot to not go to the water first. I wasn't in much of a condition to see where or what he was about to do so I just heard the sploosh as he dunked himself. He then tried to apply the wipes as directed. He had a much harder time with it than I did and took longer to recover. He was still burning a bit when we left a few hours later. The only change was he went to the water first before applying the Sudecon.

I did a test with my arm as it was sprayed as well. Once I was comfortable that the Sudecon was working on my face I decided to experiment on what happened if water was applied to an effected area. I got the hose and flushed my arm off with water. It felt fine so long as it was in the water flow but the burn immediately returned when the water was taken away. The difference in feeling between my face and arm was drastic.

As stated, I don't have any other experience with a full OC exposure but whether it was a placebo effect or not, I felt that the Sudecon did work for me and made the experience more comfortable in the recovery phase. It is not a miricle product that completely negates the effect of OC, but does seem to decrease the recovery time.

I will be restocking for atleast a few packets to keep in my patrol bag in the case that I am contaminated or to help a contaminated subject.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
lemon juice works just as well if not better. jfyi.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Dawn dish soap and copious amounts of water. I have used the Sudecon wipes and the Dawn worked better. Just my opinion. The Sudecon would be good to have for accidental on duty exsposures. I am not certain that they were intended for OC certification use. That is just me.

·
Pull.Mark.Bird.
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dawn dish soap and copious amounts of water. I have used the Sudecon wipes and the Dawn worked better. Just my opinion. The Sudecon would be good to have for accidental on duty exsposures. I am not certain that they were intended for OC certification use. That is just me.
From what i've read it depends on the person mostly on how long it takes to recover. But as of today I was able to recover faster than my partner who went with the water route.

Hopefully I won't have to go and do it again anytime soon.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use J&J baby shampoo and lots of it. Works great

·
38,473 Posts
Dawn works well because OC is suspended in an alcohol or oil-based solution (or at least ours are) and you need to get the suspension solution off you. Not sure if some OC has gone to another type of suspension medium, but water doesn't wash it away as well.

For proof of what type of solution it is, google or youtube taser pepper spray fire or something like that. It appears that some guys here found out that if you pepper someone and then tase them, it creates a very nice flame.

·
BOOSH
4,012 Posts
Pepsi. I know, the stickyness is worse than the burn, but pour some Pepsi on the affected area, and it's sooooooo much better :supergrin:

P.S. This is the only known use for Pepsi, other than to make you mad when a restaurant doesn't have Coke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts