GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I've finally taken my first step to obtaining my CCW, as I've registered for the class next Saturday. I live in a small Missouri town so I don't have immediate access to a lot of firearms to try out, so hoping I could get some expert advice here.

I've previously owned a glock 22 gen 3 (purchased from a user here). I didn't find myself shooting too much at the time and it sat more than it saw use, so I sold it to a friend a few months after owning it. I didn't find anything wrong with the gun, and it felt okay in my hands.

So about 8 or so months ago I purchased a Beretta M9, and I absolutely love it, even though it's quite large for a 9mm. My M9 feels amazing in my hands, and I'm absolutely in love with this gun. I'm fairly accurate with it hitting center of mass on targets 20-25 yards out though my grouping could use some work but I've only put maybe 200-300 rounds through this pistol so plenty of practice to come. Now since it's coming down to it, I've been doing my research on what I should pick up for an EDC. I know the springfield xd type models are out of the picture, as I can't stand their grip.

I've been looking into the glock19 or the 92fs compact. I know the 92fs compact isn't much smaller than the M9 I currently use. It's slightly longer than the 19, and wider, but grip length appears to be the same. I've read from multiple people that the 92 is more comfortable for them to carry than the glock.

I'm 6'1, and 185 lbs, so I'm a pretty tall lanky guy, and my clothes are more fitted than baggy. I know I might have to make some wardrobe changes, but if I could keep them minimal that would be great.

For those that do have experience that have carried either or both of these guns, what would be your input from what information I've provided you? Every where I've checked around my town only has glock 17s in stock, and 19s are sold out everywhere. Printing will be an issue with me, otherwise whats the point of trying to conceal the weapon?

Any advice or other handguns to look into would be greatly appreciated.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
116,456 Posts
Plan a visit to a larger city where you can rent a G26 and a G43 to try.
Otherwise, the G19 is a great compromise between a service size pistol and a very concealable pistol.

Whatever you decide, you'll hopefully end up with more than one pistol.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
You need to handle it in person first. If you have to travel, it would be in your best interest. Some places might let you try out holsters too. It'd be best to rent the gun you're looking for at a range if possible.
I've made the mistake of buying sight unseen (internet purchase) and without handling a firearm first. Having said that, a Glock 19 or 26 is hard to beat.
If you like the Beretta manual of arms, there are also a couple options like the PX4 compact/subcompact or the Stoeger Cougar compact.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ah, the great pursuit of the perfect CCW. If it's too big and heavy, it will print and be uncomfortable so you won't want to carry it. If it's too small, it will be harder to shoot well, and you won't have confidence in your abilities with it. And let's not forget about capacity! Will you feel safe with only 6 or 7 rounds in the gun? Have you ever felt how much a loaded 15-round magazine weighs?!
My advise is to get the smallest and lightest gun that you can shoot well enough to be confident with. I can't tell you how many people I see go to the range with a full-sized gun they like to shoot (because it's comfortable and accurate), and their tiny little CCW. They'll shoot the big gun for an hour. Then they'll pull out the little CCW and put 2 mags through it and stop because it hurts their hand to shoot, and they suck with it. Don't be that guy.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Ah, the great pursuit of the perfect CCW. If it's too big and heavy, it will print and be uncomfortable so you won't want to carry it. If it's too small, it will be harder to shoot well, and you won't have confidence in your abilities with it. And let's not forget about capacity! Will you feel safe with only 6 or 7 rounds in the gun? Have you ever felt how much a loaded 15-round magazine weighs?!
My advise is to get the smallest and lightest gun that you can shoot well enough to be confident with. I can't tell you how many people I see go to the range with a full-sized gun they like to shoot (because it's comfortable and accurate), and their tiny little CCW. They'll shoot the big gun for an hour. Then they'll pull out the little CCW and put 2 mags through it and stop because it hurts their hand to shoot, and they suck with it. Don't be that guy.

Great post!

·
Registered
305 Posts
So here's the thing about the 92 compact. The 92FS and 92 compact will fit in the same holster just fine. So buy a first rate, world class holster for your 92FS and just carry the thing for a little while and see for yourself. The difference between the 92FS and Compact isn't all that great, the grip lengths are only like 1/2" difference, and the barrel length difference is about 1/2". So if you can tolerate the 92FS for daily carry, then you'll just simply LOVE the 92 Compact. I think you'll find that a first rate IWB holster (Milt Sparks Nexus, Criterion, or VM II; Mitch Rosen ARG, Crossbreed Supertuck) is THE way to carry a full size pistol or even something the size of the G19.

It's all about holster selection, DO NOT GO CHEAP on your holster; you'll regret that decision forever. I personally consider holster selection even more important than gun selection these days (within reason of course). A world class holster can make a large, heavy pistol something that is doable on an all day every day basis. A cheap holster will make even the lightest, thinnest pistol a chore to carry.

I have a Sparks VM II and a Nexus. I carry a 28oz LW Commander in the VM II, and a 40oz full size Colt Government .38 Super in the Nexus. The full size 1911 is pretty heavy, but the Nexus makes it doable. I have an ARG on order for my 92FS and I fully expect the 92FS to be doable in the ARG.

Now all that being said, if you're going to carry a pistol in a holster on a daily basis, the G19 is damn near unbeatable. It's semi-compact yet very shootable, it's light in weight and its relatively thin.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hello all! I've finally taken my first step to obtaining my CCW, as I've registered for the class next Saturday. I live in a small Missouri town so I don't have immediate access to a lot of firearms to try out, so hoping I could get some expert advice here.

I've previously owned a glock 22 gen 3 (purchased from a user here). I didn't find myself shooting too much at the time and it sat more than it saw use, so I sold it to a friend a few months after owning it. I didn't find anything wrong with the gun, and it felt okay in my hands.

So about 8 or so months ago I purchased a Beretta M9, and I absolutely love it, even though it's quite large for a 9mm. My M9 feels amazing in my hands, and I'm absolutely in love with this gun. I'm fairly accurate with it hitting center of mass on targets 20-25 yards out though my grouping could use some work but I've only put maybe 200-300 rounds through this pistol so plenty of practice to come. Now since it's coming down to it, I've been doing my research on what I should pick up for an EDC. I know the springfield xd type models are out of the picture, as I can't stand their grip.

I've been looking into the glock19 or the 92fs compact. I know the 92fs compact isn't much smaller than the M9 I currently use. It's slightly longer than the 19, and wider, but grip length appears to be the same. I've read from multiple people that the 92 is more comfortable for them to carry than the glock.

I'm 6'1, and 185 lbs, so I'm a pretty tall lanky guy, and my clothes are more fitted than baggy. I know I might have to make some wardrobe changes, but if I could keep them minimal that would be great.

For those that do have experience that have carried either or both of these guns, what would be your input from what information I've provided you? Every where I've checked around my town only has glock 17s in stock, and 19s are sold out everywhere. Printing will be an issue with me, otherwise whats the point of trying to conceal the weapon?

Are you happy with the manual of arms of the M9 and are looking for something similar? In other words, are you comfortable choosing a traditional double action (TDA) or DA/SA pistol for carry?

The downside of a TDA pistol for self-defense is the need to master the double action to single action transition between the first and subsequent shots. If you have not already trained for this, you can do so using your M9. Just load up the magazine with an even number of rounds. Chamber a round with the safety on, flip it off and fire the first round DA and the second round SA. Decock after every other round and repeat. Try firing rapid double taps DA-SA.

If you are pretty good at this I think a TDA pistol is a good choice. If you like Berettas the PX4 compact is certainly worth consideration. It comes stock with a safety/decocker lever just like your M9 but it is quite easy to convert it to a G model in which the lever functions as a decocker only. I have not owned or fired a PX4 but am considering it myself so I have pawed over and dry fired a few. I think it has a pretty nice trigger in DA. I do own three Cougars (2 Berettas and a Stoeger) in three different calibers and they all shoot very well and accurately. The PX4 has a very similar rotary barrel lock up system to that of the Cougars.

I agree that the Stoeger Cougar 8000L (compact) is another very worthy TDA candidate. The Cougar grips are felt by many to be more ergonomic than those of the M9 and 92FS. The Cougar grip is still a bit thick, however and may be more likely to print. The Cougar is also an all-metal pistol so it will be a bit heavier than the polymer-framed PX4.

Another TDA mid-sized pistol I have heard good things about is the SIG Sauer 2022. It has a decocker only lever (no manual safety). It is a bit bigger, however, and you might find it a bit large for CCW.

The Walther P99 is a compact polymer-framed, striker-fired pistol that has a dual function trigger that makes it behave like a TDA pistol.

·
Right wing nut
9,442 Posts
If you only want one gun then I would rent them and try them first. If you're a burgeoning collector then start buying until you find one you really like!

Reactions: Bruce M

·
Build the Wall
10,205 Posts

I have been carrying since 1991 here in FL (born and raised) and my best advice is to NOT carry the Beretta.

The G19, maybe, but you will know it's there. I carry a S&W Shield these days and it is FANTASTIC!!! I also carry a KT P-32 or my wife's G42 in my pocket when I just need to run out for a bit.

Trust me, you DO NOT want to carry a big gun because they are uncomfortable and you will notice the bulk and weight!!! If it's not comfortable then people are less likely to carry and that can be a deadly mistake.

Carry on and Happy New Year!!!

TGG

Reactions: Current Resident

·
NRA Life Member
28,427 Posts
If you are going to carry one, they don't make one small enough. If you are going to use one, they don't make one big enough.

Glad to help. :supergrin:

wp

·
Brew Crew
28,966 Posts
I've carried for about six years now? Not constantly every day as that's not possible but I've learned a thing or two.

It's easier to carry a larger gun than you might think, don't let the nay sayers fool you otherwise. A good holster and belt go a long way, trust me I had the good holster for a while but never dropped coin for the belt till last year. That was kinda a life changer to be honest.

I went the wilderness route and ended up buying another I liked it so much. A good belt is as or more important than the holster, that's what keeps everything tight and secure.

As far the gun goes I think a G19 or G30 is a solid option for middle of the road concealment/HD pistol for the house, and something that's more than comfy at the range to play with if you only have one. As others said go rent if you can and don't have buddies with an array of various stuff for you to try out.

End of the day go with what pistol feels good to you. I can't stress a good holster and belt enough though. I slacked on the latter for too long and now know I missed out making my life easier for some time.

·
Registered
645 Posts

You and I have a similar build as I am 6'2" and 176 pounds. I've owned a Beretta 92 over 20 years, which I love shooting but I don't carry it. I know people who do but, for me it's a pretty big gun to try and conceal.

Picking a carry gun for someone else is similar to picking a pair of shoes for that person. We might be able to discount the most obvious, such as way too big for the purpose or too tiny to be practical, but that leaves a lot of good choices in the middle. Others in this thread have already given some good advice. Here's mine.

Since you already have some experience with a Glock, then the Model 19 is an obvious and good choice. It is about as small a handgun that still holds 15 rounds that you can find. I have used it as my cool weather carry for several years. That said, in the last few years there have been a number of similar sized striker fired guns put forth by other manufacturers that could fill the purpose as well.

Until a couple years ago, with only one exception, the only striker fired handguns I bought were Glocks. Since then I have branched out and own several others. There are some that I bought but did not like or keep. The following are the ones I own and shoot a lot so they are the ones I can feel comfortable recommending. No just-grazing-the-catalogs choices in this list:
  • The fine Walther PPQ is G19-sized but with superior ergonomics and likely the best striker trigger made. If I were limited to just two handguns, this would be one of them.
  • The FN-FNS is G19 length with a longer G17 style grip and holds 17 rounds. I do carry the FNS some in cool weather clothes but not often. I like it so much I will buy the compact version sometime later this year.
  • The Walther P99 compact. Excellent trigger with an anti-stress mode that is easy to shoot and possibly safer to carry than some other strikers. I like it noticeable better than the similar sized Glock 26.
  • The Sig 320 compact which I am really liking and will put into my carry rotation. Again, about the same size as the G19.
  • H&K VP9 which is a most excellent handgun. Only slight downside for me is it has kind of a long grip for a 15 round gun.
Just my opinion.

OP, good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Another great handgun to consider is the LC9s Pro. I have quite a few carry handguns, but this one is by far the most comfortable. It also shoots like a full size handgun. If you are new to carrying, the width of a G26/19 will be uncomfortable. With a proper belt and holster, the LC9s Pro is as comfortable as it gets. And as others have said, the belt makes a huge difference. Beltman makes a great belt, and I just got a Zorn holster (to replace a different one) which is very compact and secure.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
After trying several ccw guns, I came back to my Glock 23, which is exactly the same size as the 19 you mentioned. It's a great balance of size, thickness, concealability, and capacity. I am equally comfortable carrying it in the waistband as I am carrying it out of the waistband. I like the way the Berettas shoot but they are simply too thick for me to carry in the waistband. The Shield feels great, but you lose a lot of mag capacity in order to lose a little size. Good luck with it.

·
Huge Member
10,941 Posts
I've been carrying since 1976 (off duty, undercover, plainclothes and now retired) and never, ever had anyone notice me carrying a gun unless they already knew me. "Printing" is overblown. My suggestion is a compact pistol from a reliable maker, Glock, Springfield, Ruger, S&W, etc, etc. Next choice is a sub compact aka pocket 9. Right now I think a real good bang for the buck is the Ruger SR9c. It is smaller than most compacts but larger than most sub compacts.

Springfield armory makes some compact and subcompact pistols including
some 4" bbl guns with short grips that make them easy to conceal i.e. XDs 4" You can
use long or short mags with them as well.

In my experience longer barrels/slides are easier to conceal than longer grips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You and I have a similar build as I am 6'2" and 176 pounds. I've owned a Beretta 92 over 20 years, which I love shooting but I don't carry it. I know people who do but, for me it's a pretty big gun to try and conceal.

Picking a carry gun for someone else is similar to picking a pair of shoes for that person. We might be able to discount the most obvious, such as way too big for the purpose or too tiny to be practical, but that leaves a lot of good choices in the middle. Others in this thread have already given some good advice. Here's mine.

Since you already have some experience with a Glock, then the Model 19 is an obvious and good choice. It is about as small a handgun that still holds 15 rounds that you can find. I have used it as my cool weather carry for several years. That said, in the last few years there have been a number of similar sized striker fired guns put forth by other manufacturers that could fill the purpose as well.

Until a couple years ago, with only one exception, the only striker fired handguns I bought were Glocks. Since then I have branched out and own several others. There are some that I bought but did not like or keep. The following are the ones I own and shoot a lot so they are the ones I can feel comfortable recommending. No just-grazing-the-catalogs choices in this list:
  • The fine Walther PPQ is G19-sized but with superior ergonomics and likely the best striker trigger made. If I were limited to just two handguns, this would be one of them.
  • The FN-FNS is G19 length with a longer G17 style grip and holds 17 rounds. I do carry the FNS some in cool weather clothes but not often. I like it so much I will buy the compact version sometime later this year.
  • The Walther P99 compact. Excellent trigger with an anti-stress mode that is easy to shoot and possibly safer to carry than some other strikers. I like it noticeable better than the similar sized Glock 26.
  • The Sig 320 compact which I am really liking and will put into my carry rotation. Again, about the same size as the G19.
  • H&K VP9 which is a most excellent handgun. Only slight downside for me is it has kind of a long grip for a 15 round gun.
Just my opinion.

OP, good luck with your choice.
Thanks! I decided to go with the sig p320c, as it felt great in my hands, and of course the price was good. I wasn't able to locate a g19 in the price range I was looking for, but there is always later down the road too. I'm excited, as my new sig should be in by the middle of next week. Now I just need to find me a good holster and belt as a few posters mentioned to me above.

Thank you everybody for the replies and suggestions!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Don't go cheap on the belt either. Think of it as the foundation. The best holster in the world on a cheap (non gun) belt is pretty much useless. I carry outside waistband and use a Wilderness 3 stitch instructors belt. If you need a leather dressier belt, ask the guys here to recommend one to you.
You also will have to buy clothes to fit your new lifestyle. Always carry when you go and try on pants/ shorts ect.

Reactions: bunk22

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks! I decided to go with the sig p320c, as it felt great in my hands, and of course the price was good. I wasn't able to locate a g19 in the price range I was looking for, but there is always later down the road too. I'm excited, as my new sig should be in by the middle of next week. Now I just need to find me a good holster and belt as a few posters mentioned to me above.

Thank you everybody for the replies and suggestions!
Good choice.

I really like the price point that you can buy the Sig 320 compact for. Sig has certainly come ready to compete in the striker fired polymer gun market, which is a win for the shooter. Really good gun at a good price.

OP, enjoy your new Sig when it arrives. If you register it with Sig you get a 20% discount on several items at the Sig Store.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts