close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Observations From CCW Class

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jonesee, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Jonesee

Jonesee

I took my Florida CCW class yesterday, here are some observations:

25 students in a class that normally handles 5 according to the instructor. If you didn't have a paid reservation, they had to turn you away. They were at capacity.

Of the 25 students, at least 4 admitted to never having shot a gun of any type before.

The class consisted of a 1 hour video, then 1 hour on basic handgun safety, 30 minutes Q and A, and then gun range certification.

Range certification was hitting an 8"x11" sheet of paper 3 times at 15' as best I could tell you got up to 6 shots to accomplish it.

At least 4 failed to certify.

My final observations:
    There were some idiots in the class. Almost half the class did not have the skill set or exhibit the maturity to CCW.

I expected more from the class. Any idiot could pass it and some idiots did. One guy actually asked if it was OK to shoot someone in the back from 30' away. Yeah, that type of idiot. And he is now certified.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

3. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

On the other hand, just about anyone can pick up a handgun and shoot it without any training or instruction what so ever. Heck even a three year old can figure out how to make it go bang so having a little training is better than nothing. That guy who asked about shooting someone in the back at least asked, and now he knows which makes him qualified. :whistling:

I am convinced that 80% of all humans are idiots. 10% are just clueless and only the other 10% have a clue. In spite of that the human race has managed to survive and thrive for thousands of years. Go figure :dunno:

But even idiots have rights and I don't think they should have to pay for a class to own or carry a pistol.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  4. Jonesee

Jonesee

I'm not crying. Just calling it like I see it.

5. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

My class even the new shooters were shooting well. There focus was on safety and accuracy and instructors were great. Everyone could hit a man sized target at 50 feet even a woman with a bersa 380 who'd never shot before.

I notced some things though: People wth nylon holsters hated them, leather was popular polymer the most loved.

People liked consistent triggers over hammer fired. Hammer fired guns did the best on scores once in single action.

Ruger sr40 mags are impossible to load.

6. Riverkilt

Riverkilt

Took my CCW class a couple years ago when nothing was in the news. About 16 of us. What struck me was how serious everyone was - and that all but one of us was OLD...like at least in their 40s. There was one young man in his mid 20s. Concealed carry is the answer for us olde geezers once we get too old to fist fight...or get so olde we look "easy" to the punks. Instructors were LEO and dead serious. Range time we had to fire 100 rounds each. Don't recall any score requirements but we all did well.

7. Jonesee

Jonesee

Average age in my class was probably 30-35. A couple of them were early 20s. One of the young guys dozed off and the instructor handled it in a cool but effective way.

One guy asked in you can CCW in a bar. The instructor said no. Basically the guy said that was where the scary guys are and the instructor told him to stay out of the F'n bar then. The class broke up laughing.

8. fireguy129

fireguy129

damn, you actually paid for that class??

9. Geezer Glide

Geezer Glide NRA Life Member

Sounds like the instructor was just taking money and handing out permits.

10. Jonesee

Jonesee

I'm not retired military so it was required. I read somewhere my hunter certification courses I've taken over the years would have worked. (I was grandfathered in, but I took it each time my 3 sons had to go through it). But for $60 I figured I would learn about the carry laws and maybe keep me out of trouble somewhere down the road.

The only thing I got from the class was a clarification about having a drink while carrying. (It is legal as long as you are not impaired). You can go in a restaraunt that serves alcohol, but can't sit in the bar area. You cannot go into a stand alone bar.

And clarification on imprinting. (It is not allowed in Florida, but an inadvertent slip doesn't count. Like your shirt lifting if you reach for something. )

11. Jonesee

Jonesee

Instructor was actually a great guy. Very knowledgable. I think he did what was required by the state. I'm not blaming him for the idiots in class or the requirements of the class. He had to teach to the lowest level in the class and that was pretty low.

12. OhioGlock90

OhioGlock90

I took my class in October. It was 12 hours long!!!! Te legal consult that came in did his best to scare away people who should be there. For about an hour he told us stories of how we can go to jail and ruin our lives. The qualification was a joke here to. About the same size target. You had to hit in the circle 10 times with no misses however you had as many times as it too to get that. I went with a friend who honestly didn't deserve to qualify but she spend enough time trying and she did. I have since spent a lot of time I the range with her teaching her proper techniques the best I can

13. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I understand you.

Your feelings are 'bout the same as many I've heard over the years. But you and they should/must understand something......the class is a familiarization class only, it's not a "training" type of class. Those come later and must be sought out and paid for on one's own.

A CCW class is only for one thing, so that a student can show their ability to properly handle, load, and fire their gun, nothing more.

I know many folks have expected more out of it, but that was their fault. Proper training is something altogether different. It takes much longer and cost quite a bit more. 'Tis well worth it if ya ask me, but I'm speaking from over thirty years of that advanced training. I'll not try to brag and list it all.

But it was absolutely worth it. The class is for familiarization only. To prove to the State one won't shoot their foot off, ya know?

So do your self a favor and try not to confuse the CCW class with "training", eh?:wavey:

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

I have posted this before -

My first CHL class had a guy that we legally blind.

He could see his hand if front of his face - but that is about it.

I was a lane over from him while he qualified.

He passed - with a little help - guy standing behind him on the longer shots - telling him higher - to the right - OK fire.

He was at home and some thug broke in - beat the snot out of the 80+ year old and took whatever valuables he had - left him basicly for dead.

He still had visible bruises on his face -

I was at the same range a few months after the class and saw him practicing - his grandson was with him - helping him reload and set up targets.

He had made the decision that if the BG comes back he was not going down again without a fight.

If some thug breaks in to his home again - I would put my money on the old guy.

15. Jonesee

Jonesee

I understand what you are saying. But some of these people are clearly not prepared to CCW safely. They will be a hazard to themselves or others. But they will be carrying...

16. Jonesee

Jonesee

Sounds like he needs a short barreled shotgun. You dont need CCW to protect yourself in your house. And you don't need to be very accurate with a shotgun loaded with 00 or 000 buck.

17. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

My wife and I, along with our 21-year-old nephew and four friends all did the CCW class here in Missouri about three weeks ago. The class was completely full, and the instructor had to do a morning and afternoon range session due to the number of people (about 26 I think.) The age range was pretty well distributed, and everybody qualified easily including two of my friends who had zero prior experience. My wife is very experienced while I am not as experienced but have shot many times and we have owned guns since we first got married 26+ years ago.

The classroom portion was about 3 hours long, mainly a PowerPoint-style presentation with Q&A. The range session was about 4 hours and we were required to fire 50 rounds through a revolver and about 100 more through whatever other type of semi-auto pistol you wanted to use. I brought a really old .22 Ruger semi-auto my brother-in-law loaned us but only shot about 20 shots through it just for kicks (only one mag for it and it was a ***** to load.) Also brought a Glock 21, a Ruger .38 LCR, and S&W .357 revolver. I wanted to make sure the other people in the class that I knew had enough guns to use because most did not have a revolver.

The instructor had a few guns available for people who only had one type, including a cowboy-style revolver that was apparently ridiculously accurate because everybody I saw use it was getting tiny little groups. We had to shoot at a man-sized target from about 25 feet, and it was very easy.

I saw somebody there with a modern Ruger .22 target pistol and liked it so much I bought one, along with a Glock 26. Glad I bought them before all the madness hit.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I assert that most people who get their permit never actually carry or do so only briefly.

19. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

Some at the public range are scary enough. Thats why I lease some land to shoot.

20. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Yes, we should only let tier one operators take the various concealed carry classes. :upeyes:

And, none of us was ever inexperienced and nervous. We were all born with a 1911 in hand, a spare magazine in our diaper and the shooting skills of Jason Bourne. We should certainly disparage anyone we deem inferior to our personal warrior skills and it would demean us and break the code to actually talk to them and maybe help them out learning how to do what we are all so wonderful at.

I don't have to take the classes in Texas, I just show them a photo of my Ranger tattoo and a pistol target with 2,000 .357 SIG shots in one small hole at 100 yards. Yes, I am that good, thus, it is my sworn duty to sneer at anyone that cannot meet my high standard. I generally just call them idiots or noobs and nudge an ex-Navry SEAL and remark that they shouldn't be able to shoot, much less buy a pistol because they're beginners.

At no time will I lower myself to aid such and perhaps make the shooting sports enjoyable for them. No, they need to be put in their place.

:upeyes:

<--- spent four years as a Texas CHL instructor