Obama's EPA office furniture spending spree: $92.4 million, or $6,000 for each employee

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Burebista, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Burebista

Burebista "Democrats are garbage people"

With the Obama administration the country is in the best of hands.
    And what we need, is more government of course. Because government employees are known for their frugality and honesty.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/24/golden-hammer-epas-fondness-for-high-end-furniture/

"The furniture shopping sprees equaled about $6,000 for every one of theagency’s 15,492 employees, according to federal spending data made public by the government watchdog OpenTheBooks.com.

Among the thousands of contracts for “household” and office furniture were a hexagonal table ($5,539), hickory chairs ($6,391), a “Galerie lounge chair” with “Galerie settee” ($2,641 for the set), and a pencil drawer ($813.57).

One of the contracts called for a “Herman Miller chair with adjustable arms, swivel, lumbar, caster and tilt,” costing $4,047."

Change!
    Hope!
    We're the ones we were waiting for!
    The most transparent administration in American history!

2. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

:fred:
    I remember when the Pentagon could buy a $600 toilet seat and it was Made in the USA!

nursetim, janice6 and hooligan74 like this.

3. Burebista

[​IMG]

...and at the EPA nobody was fired over this ecological disaster.

nursetim and janice6 like this.
  4. Burebista

[​IMG]

A top EPA official lied under oath during testimony Wednesday when he said the agency responded to a “cave-in” when, in fact, they (EPA) created the disaster at the Gold King Mine.

Watchdog.org reported:

"An Environmental Protection Agency official lied during a congressional hearing Wednesday when he said the agency responded to a Gold King Mine “cave-in” when in fact EPA contractors created the disaster by barricading the mine last summer, the owner of the mine has charged.

“This was a result of cave-ins and water buildup. That’s why we were there at the time,” said Mathy Stanislaus, assistant administrator of the EPA’s Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response. His boss, Administrator Gina McCarthy, did not attend the first congressional hearing into the Animas River Spill, held by the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

Although Stanislaus was grilled on other issues such as transparency and double standards pertaining to non-government spills, none of the representatives drilled into Stanislaus’ claim that the Colorado spill was a result of natural forces.

But his comments weren’t lost on Todd Hennis, Gold King’s owner.

“It’s absolute baloney of the worst sort,” Hennis said immediately after the hearing. “They blocked off the flow of water out of the drain pipes and they created the huge wall of water in the Gold King by their actions last year.”

5. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I just bought a Herman Miller chair after sitting in one at my local VAMC. I cannot find one of their chairs on the GSA price list that with all the available features would cost that much. $2,300 tops...

Here is a link to the pdf price list: Filename: PB_GSA_AER.pdf

6. IvanVic

IvanVic

Was going to say the same thing. It was probably a HM sofa or other piece of furniture that was mistakenly listed as an office chair.

7. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

"What difference does it make".

The Democrat party creed.

SJ 40 and janice6 like this.
  8. nursetim

nursetim

That is over a 10 year period. Still a sheet load though.

janice6 likes this.
  9. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Much ado about nothing.

Office furniture is expensive. A basic cubicle workspace can add up to over 10k without breaking a sweat.

10. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Unconstitutional spending by a non Constitutional agency. Damn Tricky Effing Dicky and his Unconstitutional agency,the Environmental Pollution agency. SJ 40

11. Burebista

Bullcrap.

Yeah, it may cost $10,000 or more if you are one of those government moochers who pays for it from other people's money. It's not like you're spending money from your business bank account, so why would you give a fark?

Just FYI here are some Office Depot steel office furniture offerings that will make a perfectly functional business office and will last a lifetime (minus the chair which in the offices of my company only last between 3-5 years):

Realspace® Magellan Collection L-Shaped Desk, 30"H x 58 3/4"W x 18 3/4"D, Espresso $279

Sandusky® 72" Steel Storage Cabinet With 4 Adjustable Shelves, Black $304

Realspace® BTEC 600 Big & Tall High-Back Chair, Black $199

WorkPro 26 1/2"D Vertical Letter-Size File Cabinet, 4 Drawers, 30% Recycled, Black $179 X 3 cabinets = $537

OttLite® Slimline Table Lamp, White $53.99

Lorell® Standard Mobile File With Locks, 28 1/4"H x 13 1/2"W x 24 3/4"D, Black $109

HON® Brigade Open-Front Steel Bookcase, 5 Shelves, 71"H x 34 1/2"W x 12 5/8"D, Charcoal $236

Total $ $1,717.99

$10,000 worth of furniture in an office cubicle without breaking a sweat?
    You progressive-fascists really are generous with all the money you steal from us small business owners.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Deltic likes this.
  12. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Progressive-fascists? What the hell does that even mean? Are you on meds?

You clearly have no idea how corporate America purchases office equipment. But heres a hint: They don't go to Office Depot's website. These are REAL WORLD figures I'm using based on past experiences. Things work differently when you leave the realm of small businesses and move into companies with tens or hundreds of thousands of employees.

P.S., you forgot the cubicle. I know, in small businesses you just separate yourselves with a few bookshelves, but again, thats not how it works in big boy business.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  13. Burebista

No, are you?
    Progressive-fascist = Liberal
    Since present day liberals have nothing in common with classic liberalism and every thing in common with 1920-30 progressivism and 1940's fascism, the correct name of their ideology is progressive-fascism.

Oh, so I guess in your opinion a public agency spending money it doesn't earn can splurge in luxury office furniture, pay fat salaries and lavish benefits to its government moochers, just like a big corporation with thousands of employees who actually work and produce goods or services and make a profit for shareholders.

I am relieved. Now I trust the government to spend my tax money wisely. Because the government employees would be so unproductive and stressed out if they would be forced to be frugal like the employees of a small business.

LOL

PS: It only costs an average of $3,500-$4,000 per employee - and here are examples of what large corporations like BP, Party City, Benjamin Moore and others are spending to furnish their working spaces (cost of cubicle walls is included): http://www.slideshare.net/rbrandeisky/what-does-furniture-cost

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  14. IvanVic

IvanVic

So fascism is now defined by your opinion on the cost of a built out office cubicle? What a freakin' lunatic. I've seen people called liberals, communists and fascists here for bizarre reasons, but that takes the cake.

15. Burebista

Actually, if somebody is apologizing and finding justifications when the employees of a worthless, incompetent and anti-business government agency like the EPA are spending 3-4 times as much on their luxury office furniture than the employees of a small business and twice as much as the employees of a large corporation, then yes, that apologist somebody is very likely a big government loving progressive-fascist (improperly named "liberal")

16. JFrame

JFrame

Can't speak to this particular acquisition -- but I've had to do comparative pricing evaluations of purchase requests, and turned down requests with a polite "no freakin' way" when it was suspicious that the requester was saying that the ONLY person who could perform a given service/delivery was someone around the corner from the facility who has been performing all the servicing/deliveries to them at three times market cost for the past several years... o_O

On another note -- maybe EPA is reading the tea leaves, and doing the gettin' while the gettin's good with a friendly thug in office.

nursetim likes this.
  17. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Look if the government doesn't spend all your money by the end of the year then it looks like they don't need it and won't get as much next year.

18. JFrame

JFrame

Truth...!

I've seen offices/organizations go into a feeding frenzy at FY-end, and directors will rush out and ask anybody and everybody what they want, because the money "has" to be spent.

19. tattooo

tattooo

Evil Purgerors Association

20. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

I guess even EPA scumbags have to work comfortably while they plot the ruin of our standard of living.

JFrame likes this.