Obama weighs expanding background checks through executive authority

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ERASER, Oct 8, 2015.

1. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

He'll end up eating it, but at least he can say he tried. If it would have worked he would've done it after Sandy Hook.

2. TK-421

TK-421

Can't wait to get a new guy in to undo what damage has been done.

wprebeck likes this.
  3. Z71bill

Z71bill

The question is -

Would any of these changes have prevented the shooting?

Doesn't seem like it would -

If a guy is selling 50+ guns per year - they could most likely prove he was engaged in business anyway - if they wanted to - so the law really doesn't do anything.

How would they know when I sell my 50TH gun? I have not done any paperwork on guns 1-49 so it would seem like so many other gun laws - the guy that is a good upstanding citizen - not engaged in any criminal activity would comply and the guy that is selling guns and engaged in criminal activity would just not comply.

It would be like requiring cocaine & heroine dealers to get a pharmacy license before they can sell their drugs.

crockett likes this.
  4. MajJamesMcFarlane

MajJamesMcFarlane

Guy.....who are you thinking because the Republicans can't find a Speaker, let alone a good presidential candidate. I personally don't like any of the candidates, like at all, but my opinion as a betting man is that none of the current Republican field is strong enough to beat Hillary.

fastbolt likes this.
  5. 2bgop

2bgop

It is a slow walk to registration system. None of this stuff can be tracked or enforced without a way to follow a gun through purchases or transfers.

6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Correct. The aim of the anti-gun people is universal gun registration, along with licensing of who can have guns, and confiscation of guns they don't want people to have, or confiscation of guns from people they don't want to have guns.

Some people will be allowed to have some guns, and thus they will try to claim that they have not banned guns. The Clintons and Cuomo's of the world will have security teams who are allowed to have guns. But Joe Average in Arizona will not be allowed.

That is what this all boils down to.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Huh? High volume dealers will need a license and will have to do background checks?

Umm...they already do that stuff.

8. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Where's the correlation between volume and illegality? Same as with ownership... why would I buy 50 guns or 500,000 rounds of ammo to shoot up a school?

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

Aside from the expected emotional appeal and historical rehash, I didn't see anywhere in the article where it actually contains any specific new information about what's being planned, versus a couple of years ago.

Yes, they'd like to do something. They apparently realize it's fraught with political consequences and potential legal challenges (especially if deservedly so).

Would anything they want to do actually turn out to be a demonstrably effective measure that could be said to have been reasonably likely to have prevented any of the shooting incidents in even recent years?

10. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

How long is he going to be allowed to act like a king ?
    Impeachment and removal is waaay overdue ... :steamed:

Glockdude1 likes this.
  11. Z71bill

Z71bill

I took it to mean -

If a person that is not now a FFL dealer - like you or me - but they sell a lot of guns yet don't consider themselves to be "engaged in the business" of selling guns - so they don't get a FFL01 license.

How many guns can a person buy and sell and not be considered to be in the gun business? Right now it is an open ended question - could be 10 or 25 or 500 - they want to set a number - so anyone that sells more than 50 would need a license.

Not saying it is a good thing - just trying to explain what I think they are trying to do.

Think plugging part of the "gun show loop hole" - they think many guns are purchased from people that go to gun shows and sell lots of guns (they are even calling them "dealers") yet because they don't consider themselves to be engaged in the business of selling guns - they don't get a license.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  12. Z71bill

Z71bill

I use to see this all the time -- then it disappeared -- last week at the local gun show I saw it again.

A person has a table selling guns - they are a FFL holder and if you buy a gun from them you must fill out a 4473.

But right on the same table - there will be a few guns - and a sign that says "private collection"

Many people don't know what that means - but it means that the gun dealer/ FFL license holder is selling part of his "personal" gun collection - NOT part of the gun inventory he has for sale as part of his gun business.

The guns from his personal collection are treated just like me selling you a gun in a face to face sale - no 4473 required.

IMHO these guys are right on the edge - and if I was in their shoes I wouldn't be doing this.

BTW - in past shows I would see a common gun like a G19 being sold as part of a private collection (no 4473) and the price was stupid high -

A NIB G19 was $499 and a beat up used G19 (private sale) was $650.

13. fastbolt

fastbolt

Some states have figured out how to address the issue of individuals selling cars (for profit) without having a dealer's license. The number of allowable personal sales of motor vehicles permitted in any given calendar year, without possessing a dealers license, seems to vary from state to state. These laws seem designed to protect against the potential loss of state & fed taxes, as well as provide for consumer protection.

I could see this sort of concept being used as a reasonable template for monitoring sales of guns (and ensuring their lawfulness).

If so, then in order to make it work like it does with tracking sales of motor vehicles, the guns and current/new owners would have to be registered in a data base.

That was easy, huh? :faint:

:couch:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  14. TK-421

TK-421

No idea who. We don't have to worry about the Republicans though, as long as they keep shooting themselves in the foot by refusing to listen to their constituents and push issues their constituents don't want, like they've done the last two presidential elections, then we'll have another democrat for another 8 years.

fastbolt likes this.
  15. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I fear that's easier said than done.

16. norton

norton

The worst thing for a political party is boredom. The R's certainly don't have that this time, like they did in 12 and 08. And the best thing for the R's is for the D's to nominate someone as divisive and unlikeable as the Hilda Beast. My Uncle who stood for many elections to office and won every time said if people like you they might come out to vote, but if they don't they will break their necks to get to the polls to pull the lever for your opponent.

17. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

I would like to know the number of people who are not currently FFL holders who sell 50 guns a year. Seems like that would be a relatively small number. Every vendor at gun shows I have been to do background checks on people. Of course there were people walking around with guns in carts or on their shoulders you could buy from without a background check.