Oakleys for Shooting - what lenses?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BritStudent, Apr 8, 2010.

1. BritStudent

BritStudent

I recently got prescription glasses and with summer sneaking up on us I need a new pair of prescription sunglasses (my existing pair are not prescription).

Because prescription sunglass lenses are so expensive, I can only afford one pair. If I could afford two I'd have no problem, but I can't.

I need them to function as shooting glasses because obviously, sometimes it's bright when I shoot. But even when it is not bright, I don't feel comfortable using my regular glasses as shooting glasses (nor can I use cheap safety specs as these are not prescription, and 'over glasses' ones seem hokey). I don't know how durable the lenses are (in my regular glasses) are, where as I know Oakleys are real tough. Also, the frames just aren't designed for sport; they can slide down, fall off, and they're probably fragile compared to sporty Oakley frames. Also, shooting from certain positions means the lenses aren't fully in front of my eyes where as wrap around sunglass frames are better in this respect.

Ordinary dark sunglasses are no good when it's not bright outside of course, and especially indoors, so I can't get traditional dark lenses like I normally would.

One solution would be 'transitions' lenses that are clear until exposed to UV, when they darken. But I need them for driving, and since car windscreens block UV light, they wouldn't function then.

So, I hear that orange/gold lenses like Okaley's 'fire iridium' are good in both bright and dull conditions. Is this right? Is there a particular lens colour that Oakley does that would be most suitable for me?

My only concern is that orange lenses will make me look like a tool :/

I'm leaning towards the Flak Jacket XLJ frames by the way if anyone has anything to say about them.

ETA: I don't want contacts.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. DGreno

DGreno FF/Paramedic Silver Member

I just bought a pair of Flak XLJ's for duty use. I absolutely love them. They came standard with the gray lenses, I am waiting for the Black Iridium Polarized to be back in stock and the gray will be replaced.
    For your situation, I think the Fire Iridium will be great. Make sure you spend the extra money for polarized, it is well worth it. Also, make sure you are getting authentic Oakley Rx lenses, some places sell their own Rx lenses that fit Oakleys and they are usually not up to Oakleys standards or ANSI ratings.

ETA:
    Check this website out, many reviews of all of Oakleys lenses.
    http://www.o-review.com/lens.asp

3. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Oakley does not seem to make their regular V28 lenses anymore which was what I was going to suggest. Probably the bronze lens would be the call for you. That's what I would put in if I were in your shoes.

http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical_superiority/lens_tints

I wear these when I golf
    [​IMG]
    I am not a big fan of the styling-aside from the fact they are licensed Padres-but the lack of bottom frame makes them perfect for the golf swing. With regular sunglasses the lower part of the frame is right where the ball is. The are quite comfortable though.

As DGreno said, the polarized lenses are really nice. I have a few pair and I always defer to them over standard lenses.

MF

4. DGreno

As an FF/EMT, I get mine from Oakley US Standard Issue, they still have the VR28 lenses listed for the Flak XLJ's. Are those the ones you are referring to? They look like they would be great lenses for shooting but I have never tried them.

5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

The color will depend on conditions. Grey or yellow are good for clays/trap, inside/pistol/rifle will be different.

6. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

I have some old Pro-M frames with VR28 lenses for golfing and drop in clear lenses for shooting. Yes, I feel like David Duval, but still love them. Polararized RayBan aviators for dailywear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. G19Pistolero

G19Pistolero

This is what I use outdoors...and I have clear lenses for indoor use with my XLJs...

-J.-

8. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

When he was #1 or when he was in the tank?

9. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

I just got some Flak Jacket XLJ's with the G30 lens. It is supposed to be for golf and is designed to improve depth perception. I love them for shooting clays. After I got these, I realized just how bad the standard Black Iridium lenses are (IMO).

The biggest difference for me is that the G30 lens brings out colors. The darker lenses like Black Iridium just makes everything dull. I even wear the G30's on slightly rainy days as it makes colors pop out more.

10. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i use a pair with amber or plum coored lens for near 100% of my shooting, the little bit of shooting i do without them is with the G26 lens, but it isn't for everyday use, mainly driving.

11. wolves1

wolves1

G30 lens, crystal clear, still cuts the glare.

12. CBennett

CBennett

while I dont use Oakleys anymore because of some of their policies I do have Oakleys still a pair of Flack Jackets(regular not the XLJ) they came with the dark grey lenses which work fine for "general use" and driving and such. For the range I like to use what I think are the VR28(i got the polarized but they come non polarized also)they are listed as normaly for Golf or outdoor activities..but I had them back in a set of Oakley 5.0's and loved them so thats what I got for shooting.

VR28 Polarized Lens: Sport performance lens for medium to bright light. Cuts blinding glare while filtering blue light to increase contrast and improve depth perception in a wide variety of conditions.

Oakley shows the polarized and regular for sale

http://www.oakley.com/pd/2003/5344

I now use Smith Reactor Max Sunglasses for all my styff..they came with a hard case and 3 interchangable lenses the Polarized grey are great for bright days and the redish lenses are great for driving in or on overcast days where there is just enough for/or cover to be bright enough but not too bright for "regular" sunglasses..thats what I use for shooting now. or the clear.

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/fly.aspx?layout=content&taxid=122&cid=873

I got these they came with a hard case, 3 interchangeable lenses..the ones shown in this picture are great for shooting or overcast days..they also had Grey Polarized lenses and a set of clear lenses they were about $67 for the glasses case and 3 lenses. they compare favorably or possibly even better than my Oakleys do.(better built frames)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  13. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Ha! That's the million dollar question. He was pudgy, kicking ass, winning tourneys. Got ripped, thin, and hasn't won jack crap since. Hmmmmm.

14. BritStudent

BritStudent

Ok, I've ordered myself a pair of Standard Issue Flak Jackets (saved myself £45 vs the commercial frames) and when they arrive I'll take them into the opticians who will then send them back to Oakley to have prescription lenses fitted. I'm going to go with VR28 black iridium I think, which looks less goofy than the fire iridium and seems to be better for my 'changing conditions' needs. I'll probably get polarized too. Thanks for your help guys!

15. DGreno

Awesome. I am sure you will love them.
    I just got the polarized black iridium lenses for mine. Great investment in my opinion.

16. Novocaine

Novocaine

Don't know about Oakley’s but generally speaking I like yellowish-reddish tints for shooting glasses: what you lose in color you gain in definition. Greenish-grayish lenses preserve true colors better, are “smooth”, great for prolonged wear but contrast is not as good.

17. 50 cal

50 cal goofing off

I have a pair of M Frames that are probably 10 years old. I got a new set of Oakleys and replaced the lenses in the old M Frames with a set of clear lenses for shooting. They live in my range bag now along with the Peltor TacPro electronic muffs.