Oakland County - CPL Application Process

Discussion in 'Michigan Glockers' started by HoldHard, Feb 22, 2010.

1. HoldHard

HoldHard

Am looking for some answers from GT'ers that have gone through the CPL application process in Oakland County. In addition to the actual applicaiton form, training certificate and passport size photo, there is a fingerprint card required with the application.

Went to the local PD after work and was told that the Oakland County Sheriff department does all the fingerprint cards when you go to the courthouse to pay the fee and submit your paperwork.

The Sheriff department located near the courthouse on Telegraph is a complex of several buildings. Exactly where do you go for the fingerprint card? Do you go there before or after you go to the county clerk's office?

Any and all details you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    HH

2. kms

kms

I remember going to the clerk's office first to fill out the paper work and pay the fee ($105 ?), then I went to the sheriff's office for the finger printing. All fairly simple, quick, and I did it all during lunch. :thumbsup: for Oakland County!

3. HoldHard

HoldHard

Thanks for the reply kms. There was another individual at the local police department records area and he said to make sure and show up early (as in before 7:30 AM) as the line is quite long. He indicated that they are processing about 1,000 applications a month and the parking area for the Sheriff department is very small.

Looks like lunch might be faster.

Thanks again.
    HH

4. rabbivj

rabbivj

i went thru the OC process as well in oct of last year. My advice is the same as what was posted above. Get to the courthouse/clerks office early. I went on a wed after work @ 8:30 in the morning. there was a lineup outside to get into the courthouse but the deputies were putting ppl thru, I had to go back to my car tho cause they dont allow camera phones in there. Once i got thru there was no one @ the clerks office and was able to put my app thru quickly (already had it prefilled out from the MSP website) but didnt sign it until they told me to. After that I went to the Records Dept across the road. there was no one really there and got my prints done in abt 15 mins. Got my CPL issued exactly 6 weeks to the day (day after my birthday) and got it the next day. OC seems to be on the ball with this. No Gun Board appearance or anything. I just wish that OC has an online CPL check like WaCo and Macomb do.

5. HoldHard

HoldHard

Thanks rabbivj. March 1st, the day after completing my training class I went to the county clerk at lunch. Since I knew about the "no camera" rules, went right to the clerk's office. No line. Gave them the paperwork and photos, got the CD with the gun laws on it and paid the buck o' five. Next was the Sherriff's office for the electronic fingerprints. Four people ahead of me and since they had two machines running, that was done in about 20 minutes. Total time there was 45 minutes.

Now the waiting starts. When the fingerprints were taken, the Sherriff's department employees said "6 to 8 weeks".

HH

6. Landor

Landor

The finger print machine is in the record department behind the jail. You have to go there first and get the CCW application packet. Fill it out take it to the clerk's office. You will need a photo also. The clerk's office will do it for a small fee. Once you pay the clerk you have to go back to the records office to get printed. Be prepared to wait. That place gets busy.

This is all from memory before the new registration law passed. It may be different now.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  7. HoldHard

HoldHard

Exactly six weeks to the day, envelope from the Oakland County Clerk's office showed up in the mailbox. They even returned the unused passport photo.

HH

8. kms

kms

Congratulations, HH!