close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oakdale Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MrMunster, Jul 25, 2004.

1. MrMunster

MrMunster

Here's my high/low report for the Oakdale shoot:

Highs
    -----
    *Absolutely georgious weather! We couldn't have asked for a better day.

*Wonderful facility although the echo on the 25yd range through me off a little at first.

*The new electronic scoring machines are great. (Now all we have to do is find a bunch of twelve-year-olds to run them for the ROs)

*Great group of shooters and everyone was VERY patient

*Got to make a guys day by loaning him my gun to finish his 3rd string on M. His gun jammed solid as he was loading for his 3rd string and they were going to DNF him.

*Had a nice chat with Jackie about how to improve things for next year.

Lows
    ----
    *The Jolly Green Giant must have hung the 5TG targets. My wife (5'2") couldn't even paste them. Yes, they did this so that the rounds would impact the berm, but wouldn't it have been better to simply move all of the targets closer to the berm? The 5tG was setup on a 50 yard range and it would have been quite easy to move the firing line out to the 25yd line. Also, while I was shooting on the left-most stage, they were also running the right-most stage. Wasn't a major issue, but the bullet impacts in my peripheral were a little distracting.

*One plate rack? Come on guys you have several hundred members and can't get enough people to pitch in for a second one? They only run $600-1000! After yesterday, I'm willing to bet EVERY GSSF shooter at the match would be willing to pitch in $3-5 so that there will be 2 next year.

*Pace: I've seen the line at the DMV move faster than the lines at the match. I arrived just before 1pm and didn't finish until almost 6pm; 5 hours for GSSF match is a little ridiculous! For some reason, the volunteer ROs seemed to lack communication, organization, and the ability to set a decent pace. They weren't real good about moving the squads around, announcing who was on deck, who was pasting, etc. This was by far the worst procedural GSSF match I've ever attended.

*Haven't shot a match in a while and all the extra practice I've been doing lately is outside. Shooting from under covered firing points quickly reminded me a nice post-notch sight silhouette looks like. (The RO never offered to let me take a sight picture...)

2. Jeff

Jeff Millennium Member

I'm pretty much right with MrMunster on all counts. If the weather had been hotter or more humid, you likely would've seen a lot of impatient and cranky competitors. Thankfully, the weather was so nice that most people (myself included) didn't mind being outside for such a long time.

I shot the match with my dad and the two of us arrived around 11:45. We always shoot the plates first and had to wait 2 hours before our names were called. The Glock-M wasn't quite as bad of a wait and most people were gone by the time we got to the 5TG. However, we didn't leave until 4:45. In the past 3 years we've always been able to shoot the entire match in a couple of hours at the most.

That said, from what I heard they had more people show up and shoot yesterday than showed up over both days last year. I can't fault the RO's when the turnout is that hight.

A second rack of plates would greatly speed-up wait times on that stage. Also, while I loved the new electronic scorekeeping the new procedure for waiting to be "squaded" is in serious need of tweaking. I really preferred the old way where the RO's had your sheet in a stack and just called names off the top. If you weren't present, you went to the bottom of the pile. You were rewarded for being patient and staying at one stage. The new system rewarded you for showing up at 9:00AM. You could leave, go home, grab a sandwich, come back, put your pin by your name, and get "in-line" in front of a bunch of shooters who had been waiting for 2 hours but didn't sign in until later in the morning or early afternoon. I also have to second the MrMunster's statement that the RO's weren't communicating real well with the people waiting to let them know who was shooting next. If you didn't ask, you might not know. But aside from that issue, the RO's were friendly and patient if you were friendly and patient with them. I heard they didn't get many breaks throughout the day, and let's remember they are just volunteers from the club. They give up their weekend so we can have a little fun.

Bottom Line:

Ups:
    * Weather
    * I shot better than I did the last two years
    * Weather
    * I spent some quality time with my dad and my G19
    * Weather

Downs:
    * Wait times on stages, especially the plates
    * RO communication regarding upcoming squads needed to be clearer
    * Keep the grill going past 3:00! I never get any brats :(

Overall I'm still looking forward to next year.

3. bofe954

bofe954

I just got finished shooting an hour or so ago. My recommendation for the long waits is to come in on Sunday. My first sign up time was after 10 AM, its 1:30 now and I am at home in St. Paul after eating drive through and walking through an open house in my neighborhood.

The first stage I went to sign in at had no wait so I just shot it and then signed up for the other two.

My low was how poorly I shot, I haven't been out to shoot in about a month and it showed. Maybe I'll luck out and get something in Am Civ C class. Can't wait to see how many women out shot me....:(

4. Fumble

Fumble RIP Poom . . .

We arrived at 9:00 on Saturday and left at 10:15. I like the new system. Last year we arrived at 9:00 and didn't finish shooting till 3:00.

I would like to see two armorer's but Mike Fisher is a class act and if there is only one, he's the one I'd want.

Finally, the vendor had a neat new toy for the Glock. It attached to the receiver and made the Glock a long gun. I never got to "see" it since he sold it around 10:00 am on Saturday. He should have kept it as a demo instead of directing me to his store to see one.

I'll be back. ^c ^c

5. DP177

DP177

I had a great time and so did the others who came up from Rochester to shoot on Sunday.

I made the short trip to Oakdale Saturday afternoon to register. Then I found Butch and WIG19 at the plates. My little girl (she's 2) and I watched Butch shoot and I was so happy that she didn't want to leave. She just kept pointing at the plate rack and saying "More More." You need to put new batterys in those muffs Butch so you can hear her cheering next time.

I know Butch had a long wait Saturday but WIG19 said he got there a little earlier and finished a lot sooner. I heard they had 179 entries on Saturday. I talked to some of the RO's Sunday that said they never got a break on Saturday but they weren't complaining. They were saying how great of a day it was. Thanks guys and gals for your hard work.

bofe954, You're not suppose to tell everyone about our Sunday morning secret. ;) Sunday morning always seems to be pretty quiet at Oakdale. It was the same this year. We had our names on the list before 9 at every stage. After the RO's were done we started shooting. I shot the G37 for the first time in a match and I posted a personal best in Stock (61.52).

The timer didn't pick up all of my shots on one of my unlimited 5 to Glock strings so I had to do a reshoot. But the RO's handled it well. We had a short wait at the 'M' but that was fun getting to talk to the other shooters and the RO's. When our group made it to the Plates the RO's were there just waiting for us. I finished the day on the plates with a 9.04 in unlimited. One of the RO's (Mitch) was there taking pictures. When he e-mails them to me I'll post them here.

We were done before noon and had plenty of time to talk and watch a few others shoot. It was nice to meet the Kirchhoff Family and talk to Mike Fischer too.

This was my first match using the electronic score keeping and print outs at every stage. I thought it went great and the RO's at my stages were very quick with them.

Sorry, this post was so long, but I just had that much fun!! DP177

6. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

1st ever match, so forgive the initial length. Had pre-production tech assist from Butch. Choreography by DannyR.

Being as objective as possible. Arrived Sat 0815, RO meeting still finishing at 0845. Joined & registered (2 Divs) fairly quickly & a big thanks to Jackie. Did have to mention that rules say walkup joining/renewing doesn't get assessed the $10 walkup fee. Jackie honored that: "Someone actually reads those things!" :) Super lady & I don't think she ever wasn't available throughout the day.^c

Per choreographer, first went on Lewis & Clark expedition to signup at plates, 5TG & M. Stayed and shot M as first shooter; done at 0907. Fine morning RO crew, polite, helpful, professional. :)

Went to 5TG & stuck pin in. 3 shooter groups, only 1 RO w/timer to actually conduct the shooting. Sorting to get shooters on line xlnt, lots of yellow-shirts, but single RO walking down the line to conduct the indiv shoots was a clock-buster. My 1st event & great Wx so just taking it all in; see how this might really perturb some folks. And I have to agree that the target setup had most people shooting decidedly uphill. Finished 1010, on to plates, and stuck pin in.

Sorting/calling of shooters fine; plates done & finished at 1215. Simply just too many people for 1 rack, especially stacking those those who arrived early on top of those who shoot the plates first, along with multiple div's. RO's did their level best they could with 1 rack - not a people problem, they just should have another rack.

Hung out the rest of the day, feeding face & looking around, helped orient a couple of brand-new Glock owners, then followed along w/Butch who'd arrived later. Also, got to chat w/dp177 who's already got a little "shooter to be named later" in the mill he brought along. Huge kudos to Mike Fisher who was at his Armorer's table ALL DAY, nearly every minute, and never stopped working, all the time conversing with multiple people answering diverse questions. He had to be exhausted being still on the road & just returned from an assist in Jordan and never quit. He is, as the British say, "full stop." ^c

Oakdale is a beautiful facility, coming from WI I didn't have to drive all the way into "Mess/StPaul" to get there, and the Wx certainly contributed to the lack (mostly) of hair flying over a few delays. Ran into some WI IDPA friends from our common gunshop who came to shoot GSSF. (No, MN doesn't have border checkpoints for that.) ;f

AAR:
    1. Need consistency, throughout the day & at all stages, in the way shooters are seen as present at the stage & ready to be put in the mix. In the afternoon, some who put their pin in at Glock-M and waited under the shelter, watched others who just continued to walk forward to the line and shoot.
    2. 5TG: concur that the targets were set poorly. I watched one (to me at 6'4") short, AdultF and thought she was shooting in the air.
    3. Plates: argggh! Have to concur that 1 plate rack isn't... well, enough about that.
    4. Instead of learning 'word of mouth' where the stages are, signs near the appropriate facility x-roads pointing the way to M & plates would've been helpful for many. Saying "ya go down to the 50-yd range sign, walk past the rifle range, turn left down around the..." isn't quite so intuitive.
    5. The NetPads are GREAT, as are the receipts. "Thank you for shopping GSSF." (It would be helpful to insure that EVERY RO that might be using one (relieving friend for a lunch break) knows how to use it.)

All that said, had a blast and the event was, for me, an E-ticket ride and I just wanted to do it all again. There are, for sure, more to follow. Thanks GSSF & all involved. Arrived early Sat, sign-in & shoot in the order described above. If not for the 1 plate rack, would've been done at 1030.
    ^c ^c

7. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Nice times. :)

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Agree. Butch chuckling late Sat that he'd left door open while dp177 watched with his adorable daughter. Sounds like on Sunday dp177 walked thru the door & cooked a meal. Nice shootin', bud! ^c

9. DP177

DP177

Fireglocks, Thanks for the kind words. I've had some single stings on the plates better than those on Sunday but have never been able to put four of them together for a total score that low in the 9's.

;z Very Funny Post WIG19
    I guess after having Butch slam the door on my face so many times I've finally learned to run a little faster when I hear the dinner bell. ;f

Now to the plate rack issue. As I was reading these posts I realized that I own a truck and I have access to two plate racks here in Rochester. One of them would need some repairs before it was ready for a match and the other I would need permission before removing it from the range where we use it, but I would think they would let me. Between the two of them I may be able to have a second plate rack at next years match. Only other thing is that if you shoot people thru faster on the plates aren't you going to just have longer wait times on the other two stages? Not everyone shoots the plates last. Just a thought. I will talk to Scott when I see him at the next match I'm at. Also I know the Oakdale Club wont even let you help RO a GSSF match unless you are one of their members (I know, I've asked.) I don't know how they would be about using someone elses equipment on their range.

I'll check into it. DP177

10. Fast351

Fast351 Dodge This!

Jesus, I would have PAID to see that. I have a hard enough time to get to that point with a single rack, let alone 4.

I had a blast too, unfortunately my scores will never be as good as yours I'm afraid. First time, my score was a little over 200. I'm pretty sure by next year I should be able to do 150 or better (just started shooting games in general, shooting IDPA now too, practicing alot more).

I did "hear" Butch shoot the 5tG but didn't see the result. I remember uttering "wow, is he hitting that fast?" only to have someone mention that was "Butch" heheh.

Had a great time. Second most of the recommendations here, especially the way the "next shooter" is decided. It seems REALLY unfair to the people who get there after 9am. Heck, I got there at 9am, and it still took me till 1pm to finish (not complaining, got to watch alot of people shoot, and got to BS with some very nice people as well).

The electronic scoring is excellent. I came home and showed them to my wife, and told her that I found a replacement sport for drag racing, and it even has time slips :) Probably cheaper too. ;f

-Mike

11. DP177

DP177

Fast351,

Glad to hear you are shooting GSSF and other shooting sports. I've been doing this for a few years but what really helped me was that I had some VERY GOOD instruction from a salty old shooter.

It's great to hear you had fun and are already setting goals for your next match. I would encourage you to read the thread, "More GSSF TIPS 2003." It's in the sticky section at the top of all the GSSF threads. There are some really fantastic shooters there giving away free advice. Take advantage of as much of it as you can.

The other thing that helps a lot is if you are able to set up the actual match during practice sessions. If you aren't able to do this at your practice range PM me and we'll see if our schedules match up to where you can shoot down in Rochester with us. I'm going to be on vacation for about a week and a half and wont have a computer so it might take a while for me to answer you back. (This week with out the computer is going to kill me if I can't find out the scores!)

DP
    P.S. I think your right, this would be cheaper than drag racing.

12. Clem

Clem

Sounds like you continued your great Indy shooting into MN!! Congrats!! Go Team Carver!! Enjoy your vacation & have fun! Tony & Donna.

13. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

^c Have to totally second that. All the very generously given tips here on GT, as well as those from folks like Butch, Dwight, Fireglock, Danny, et al, made my first match a totally better experience than it ever could have otherwise. Also, the kind invitation to journey over to Six Plates over Minnesota to practice I'm convinced took alot of the jitters away. Butch, I've got a line on that old GI hardball I spoke of for ya.

GSSF has me hooked; good camaraderie & everyone seems to want the other to do well. Can't tell yet how I did but my scores against last year's results would've been a 10th in AC & 2nd in Comp so now my better half is open looking at more trips to more matches. (I'm still trying to wangle an excuse for MO with a family stop to the Quad Cities thrown in. Film at 11...
    ;+

14. Fast351

Fast351 Dodge This!

I read that thread last night, and indeed a lot of good tips in there. I'm going to set up some drills like that at the outdoor range I shoot at. The articles about stance and grip, and trigger control were especially interesting, because that's something most of us can work at.

I'd love to do that sometime, thanks for the offer! Unfortunately I live about 2 hours away from you guys, so it's not real practical to drive down on a week night. I would love to hook up with you guys sometime though, it sounds like there's PLENTY to learn :) After the dust settles here, I'll send you a PM and see if we can hook up sometime. Thanks again!

-Mike

15. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

You will not regret it.^c They don't even want donuts, but I told Butch I'd bring some next time anyway. Hey, a guy's gotta have his carbs - it's real work resetting those poppers.;f

16. mgobel

mgobel

I shot on Sunday and did not experience delays. I am a member at OGC and the 5TG and plate issues did not go unnoticed by the volunteer staff of OGC members.

As a range in an increasingly urban area, OGC is terrified of a stray round leaving the property and giving the press a big story. As a result, the targets need to be set in the "middle" of the berm to minimize this risk. I could see them switching ranges with the plates and using two plate racks, but that would make for dark 5TG.

I liked the new handhelds with the instant score printout.

Mark

17. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I was checking the times, nice job DP177, a 45 is very nice. :)

18. Panhandle Bill

Panhandle Bill Senior Member

I agree with everyone on the time issue. Way to long to have to wait.
    The RO's were great however. I really enjoyed talking with them during the numerous delays. One even offered to help load mags at the plates, altho I had plenty of time to load.
    The redeeming feature of it all was I had plenty of time to meet and talk with Butch while he was waiting also.
    Good match, great weather, good people. "Life is Good"
    Now if I can just learn to slow down and hit the target!!!!

19. Fast351

Fast351 Dodge This!

You too huh? I'm convinced I could have knocked 20-30 seconds off my total time if I had just slowed down a hair. (Granted I'm in the 220 range, so that's not really a spectacular feat).

Next year, next year......

If any of the Oakdale RO's are reading this: You guys were great, what a good group of guys to BS with.

-Mike

20. Cubbly Leader

Cubbly Leader

I agree with all the above suggestions about the match procedures. But, I had so much fun with my pals here from Michigan. I’m hooked on GSSF. It’s was more than worth the $25 to join and the $25 to compete. Michael Fisher was a major blessing to me and my pals. What other Gun company sends such quality customer care to a match? Michael sold me even further on Glock. I want to own one of each model now.

Also, Jackie Lambert was just amazing at taking care of us. She showed her loyalty to Glock and you and me, the shooters. Bother her and Michael made me feel like I was part of the Glock Family.

Thanks to you all who were there shooting with us. I did not feel like I was competing. Rather, I felt as if I was participating with a team of professionals. Only my days spent at Ft. Bragg in the 82nd Airborne top the camaraderie I felt with all you men and women shooting the GSSF in St. Paul. Thanks again.

I hope to shoot a GSSF match again this year. I hope to meet more of you at the next match I shoot.

Cubby Leader :cool: