Oakdale Debrief

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by WIG19, Jul 30, 2007.

1. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Didn't see a thread already. Had a great time, as usual. As my Photobucket access is hosed for the time being, hopefully Butch will post some pics. Well run (also as usual) except for mid-Saturday hoseup at the 'M', which Scott cleared up, getting things back on track. Good to see familiar RO faces, this is sorta my home match. Weather nice, the usual Sequoia-class 5TG targets; or maybe it was just all the RO's were short... :supergrin:

Had a FTExtract on my 26 that took my SubC run out of the mix, but shot my first clean match in AC; pretty fun. Doubtful it's fast enough though. Got to hook up with great friends (in bunches); had a fine time, as I hope everyone did. Our pals the Kings from IA brought a full-fledged entourage including first-time member/shooters to the match; lucky I could get them in a single photo. Got to see Tim who came by to visit for awhile, along with Annie & Dwight, who returned Fri from an IA steel match to shoot Sat, then go back down for the Man v. Man in IA on Sunday. Such energy! Scott put it correctly in the clubhouse; the joys of youth are wasted on the young.
    :rofl:

Reeeeeeally hope they (or someone at OGC) does something about the plate setup, though. It's not so much the shooting uphill, but the front of the racks settles a bit so it's almost canted slightly toward you a bit and a few of those plates are definitely in need of being double-tapped. At least everyone shoots the same stage, but they need to pull that whole setup back IMO about 15yds and everything would be level. Possibly there are range considerations that come into play I'm not seeing, at the end of that 200+ yard rifle lane....

But a fine match as usual otherwise.

:patriot:

2. ede

ede

if you'd been on a stage i was running i'd of gave you a reshoot, if you'd of been at matietta. i hate they put oakdale on the same weekend as marietta.

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Ed, if you're talking about the FTE, they brought it up (reshoot) but I'm shooting reloads. Too bad 'cause the little guy was running right along with my G17 times but thems the rules. Armorer thought the extractor a bit worn, replaced it and the EDP spring at end of day. That's the way the cookie crumbles; could've been combo of extractor and a single questionable rim, gun ran fine through rest of the day. Stuff happens.

4. ede

ede

i'm not trained well enough to tell the differance between reloads and factory and the only mention of it i've heard in RO briefings is from Scott and he said let them have a reshoot. i'm a little more generous too on scoring i think than a lot of others are. something to keep in mine if i'm ROing a match you shoot, like lexington.

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Wes;

A big Sierra Hotel on the clean A/C score. I don't care if it's a 150, shooting it clean is great. Closest I have ever come to a clean one was with 1 "C".

Great shooting. :thumbsup:

6. Terminator

Terminator

SUPER JOB WES !!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Its always great to see a clean match shot. :notworthy:

7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Thanks my friend, almost thought I was gonna have to negotiate one of those edges myself, but the RO's were quite competent, saw alot of repeat faces and they know what they're doing. If I added correctly should be 78.44; not smoking but felt good and I only added it up 5 times.... :embarassed:

One thing I've seen last 2 matches which I wish they would NOT do, is that they're lumping everything either under A's or B's as long as it's good. I'd rather have it the old way; if I look back and see a clump of A's on a near or mid-target or something I know that I should be shooting that one faster. (At least if they're gonna do that, they should do it like Indy - all A's, vs. Oakdale where anything good was called a B.) :supergrin:

Anyway, thanks. Am waiting for Butch to get out of his phone booth (or wake up from his part-time retiree job) and post a pic or two.

Edited to add: Thanks Terminator! :)

8. Lady27

Lady27

Howdy,

We enjoyed our day too, at most points, but learned one hard lesson. Long story, but I'll do my best. We arrived in the afternoon and then hit the mess at the M with our large group of six shooters. One of us was shooting three guns, some of us were sharing a G17... We were squadded all on one side and made to wait a bit. That was such a mess and took so long that my normally well composed sweetie suddenly seemed extra bossy and in the mode of herding.

So when we got over to the 5TG and got ourselves signed up he wanted me and the girls to load our stack of G17 mags very fast. And I mean he wanted it fast, because they were waiting for a shooter. This was extremely frustrating to me. Seemed to me that if you drive four hours to an event you should take the time to do things carefully, but I am kind of a compliant wife at points, at least when he gets into command mode. So we hurried. And I couldn't tell who had handled what mags, they were just getting picked up and put down too fast and haphazardly.

To make it worse it didn't seem that we had the girls well trained in loading procedures. It seemed to me that every time I started to load they wanted to talk to me about all kinds of things: "who will shoot first? How did you do on the M? Isn't it getting hot?....." I got very tired of telling them to be quiet while I tried to count, and I stopped telling them that. I just tried to count through it. We should have covered that at home.

We got the stack of mags loaded quickly to suit the hubby. But the sloppy loading procedure caught up with us. Sadly, it caught up with me. On my second string the slide locked back after the fourth target. I asked what to do and the range masters told me to hurry up and reload, because I was on the clock. Bummer, that whole conversation was on the clock. It was a 32 second string.

I can still call it a good day, because we needed to learn that lesson and I don't think anyone in the group will forget it. From now on I will have my own mags and take my time on them. I'll go off and find my own space if I have to. I think everyone knows why now. Also, we will break up large groups to avoid that kind of frustration. We still did some good shooting, made some mistakes to learn from, and had a good time together.

9. themaddhatter

themaddhatter Guest

Some things about the GSSF experience for my wife and I:

First and foremost, The wife and I were really hosed off by the GSSF saying to BRING 100 rounds, when it turned out at the end of it all, I needed 107! The last thing I shot was plates, and as mentioned earlier, a LOT of double taps were required, and being short of the 11 rounds per mag AND being a first time GSSF shooter, I got my ***** handed to me when I was short on all my magazines. DO NOT SAY TO BRING 100! SAY TO BRING 107! I would have got another 10 rounds out of the car, but I was at the 200 meter range way out from the parking lot. Even the guy working the table commented that I had more shots available.... That just was like glass in the wound. "Yes, thank you RO, I know I suck, and that I could have shot more, but I was mislead by your organizers"

Another issue was the Glock M section, where the guys didn't really seem to have their stuff wired straight. Huge bottleneck, and it took an hour plus to get through there on Saturday late AM. People were yapping and fiddle fudging around instead of getting up and shooting! The 5 to glock and plates guys had their stuff worked out, but the M was chaos

Otherwise, it was fun to shoot targets and plates, just need to get better at hitting that damn kid sized popper! Wifey and I both missed that little SOB (need to visualize shooting little stuff better I guess)

I haven't seen the scores yet, but I am willing to bet I was last (seriously). I wasn't prepared to shoot that type of course, and there is quite frankly no where to shoot that sort of thing. I only have access to single target bullseye crap at Bill's, which doesn't translate to timed multi-target shooting. At first I was so furious with my level of crap sucking-ness, that I was going to sell all three glocks, and just stick to trap (at least I don't suck completely at that!). Instead, after the rage in my failure subsided, I decided to instead actively seek out a club to do plates or multi-target shoots at that isn't meatheads about newbies that want to learn. If I can't find anything in the twin cities, I don't really know what I can do, as I live in an apartment, and can't really set up plates there (and not get arrested at least).

All in all, I give it a 3.5 out of 5 :thumbsup: and have an open request to anyone in the twin cities to let me know where I could learn to really shoot, not bullseye, but "real" shooting.

Shane and Danielle O'Neill

PS: My wife beat me. I am not proud of it, but I am proud of her.

10. Gonad

Gonad Millennium Member

Shane,

Not sure where you live but the Oakdale club has a United States Practical Shooting league every Summer. It usually starts near the end of May and runs till end of July. It just ended last Thursday. This USPSA shooting is great practice and tons of fun to do. Multiple targets and a varity of stages and targets. Steel pepper poppers and disapearing targets.

If you don't know about USPSA you can go here to read about it. www.uspsa.org

Check it out. I shoot it every Summer but can't make every Thursday.

Sorry you had a hard time at the match. I went in the morning on Saturday and it went very smoothly. Was just starting to get very busy when I left around 10:30. Alot of the guys who were range officers shoot the USPSA league and are a good bunch.

Thanks,
    Brad

11. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Here I come to save the day!!! Oh wait....that's Mighty Mouse....scratch that. :) Here's some of Wig's pics.

The Iowa crew:
    [​IMG]

The Sequoia 5tG targets:
    [​IMG]

The Sequoia 5tG target repair:
    [​IMG]

12. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

:animlol:
    And a proud member of the generation that knows who that is. :supergrin:

themadhatter: Almost anyone here will always say to take 150 rds (per division to be shot) in case you have to reshoot a stage (which is allowed on an equipment malfunction using factory ammo). Sorry you didn't have a stellar experience it seems; take heart on the plates as everyone shoots the same course of fire, good, bad, ugly. ;)

10-4 on the late Sat AM 'M' backup; you had company. :upeyes:

However, it shakes out you'll do better next time and will become a better shooter for it.

13. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

OGC's "relationship" with the township they are in does not allow them to build any "new" ranges. The ranges that exist there are the same ones that were there about 1965.

The only "changes" or "improvements" that have been made to the facility is to ranges themselves. For instance, there are now retaining "walls" that look like they are made out of redwood 4"x4"s all the way down both sides of the 200 yard range. The 200 yard range has been optimized for (1) 200 yard rifle shooting and (2) metallic silhoutte. It is NOT optimized for plate racks.

Misses off a plate rack will be sort of a "cone" down range. If you put the plate rack "uprange", you are going to put bullets that miss right into those really nice redwood walls. That is a no-go. You cannot put the racks in front of any of the intermediate "silhouette" berms because the racks are taller than the berms. Misses that don't go into the walls might skip off the floor of the range and off the property.

So, the ONLY place to put the plate racks ON THE ENTIRE PROPERTY is right where they were this year and last year; right at the very end of the 200 yard range in front of the "Ram Racks" and just beyond where the redwood walls stop.

As noted, this puts the plate racks "uphill" of the shooting positions. That can't be helped.

Oh, by the way. Measure out the normal 33' from the plate racks and you find yourself perched on some new "silhouette" berms. If you thought the distances to the racks were a bit longer than normal, yes they were, to clear those berms.

The 25 yard range cannot be used for any GSSF stage because OGC has pulled out the "failed experiment" rubber "bullet catching" blocks they had downrange thereby exposing a lot of steel supports that they don't want shot. So, shooting in there is limited to "bench" shooting only and no GSSF stages can go in there.

The 50 yard range was used for the "M" and has been for many years.

OGC is open to the public for deer-rifle sight-in - their primary money-maker - and their 100 yard range has to be, was and is left open for that.

The "Competition" range is where the 5-2-Glock "Sequoia" targets were. This is built as an NRA 2700 "Bullseye" range. Notice in the pictures, the concrete retaining wall just behind the targets. That is the wall protecting the 25 yard bulleye turning target mechanism. Less visible is a similar wall protecting the 50 yard bulleye target stands.

OGC does NOT want bullets chipping up their nice concrete walls.

Also, from the shooting pad to the 25 yards target "wall" there is a substantial rain-drainage "swale" or dip. This is where the 5-2-Glock targets HAVE to be placed. The combination of keeping the bullets "up" so they don't impact the 50 yard concrete wall and the <25 yard drainage swale results in the "Sequoia" target placement to put the bullets solidly into the impact berm and not the concrete.

So, you have a 60's era range complex, "improved" for 60's and 70's era-concept shooting sports, trying to accomodate 90's era match and it's equipment.

With all the built in constraints and limitations, it is a miracle that a GSSF match is even POSSIBLE at OGC at all!

:sad:

14. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Thanks; kinda figured it was something like that. As I said, the uphill isn't the big deal. Hopefully they don't settle forward (downhill) though making them tougher to knock over.
    Talked to Joe at the 5TG (I think) last year and understood this part and not wanting bullets impacting dirt/grass not berm. My mention of Sequoia-like targets is just ribbing; I don't think they're a shooting issue for most people. But they make cute pictures when a short RO is trying to paste a high-D hit.

In sum I have to agree with you; for whatever ribbing I might give to them the RO's I talk to also know that I love that match, and they're always thanked and hands are shaken. It was my first and (Milwaukee or not) I'll always consider them my 'home' match.
    :thumbsup:

15. themaddhatter

themaddhatter Guest

So I didn't actually get LAST... 70 something, and my wife was 60 something. Can't get it now: GSSF is having issues.

Brad: I live in Shoreview, so I am only ~ 25 minutes away. The trick for me is that I am really only in the Twin Cities for the weekends. My job has me in Green Bay, WI for the work week. So, my practice sessions are restricted to weekends in Circle Pines. There isn't really much in the way of pistol ranges in Green Bay: they are big on trap shooting. I had ordered a 22 conversion for my glock, but it is backordered for like 40 days. I can shoot a 22 in a lot more places than a 40

I will check into Oakdale, and I will dig into the USPSA site.

Shane

16. mgobel

mgobel

"The "Competition" range is where the 5-2-Glock "Sequoia" targets were. This is built as an NRA 2700 "Bullseye" range. Notice in the pictures, the concrete retaining wall just behind the targets. That is the wall protecting the 25 yard bulleye turning target mechanism. Less visible is a similar wall protecting the 50 yard bulleye target stands.

OGC does NOT want bullets chipping up their nice concrete walls."

or leaving the range.

Mark

17. Fumble

Fumble RIP Poom . . .

As a member of OGC I would like to point out that we are building a new range. It will be 7-10 yards and for pistols only. Bids for the construction are currently being sought. It will be completly enclosed so you may be correct that we can't build any more "outdoor" ranges.

18. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Please....make it 11 yards so we can shoot the plates in there! :)

19. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Heck, make it 1/2 dozen individual bays, each at least 75' deep, 75' wide, with sheet steel walls in addition to the bullet trap so you can shoot multiple target, multiple stage setups and not have to worry about shooting anything downrange that cannot take a hit!

Put a cover over the whole shebang and you could have a WINTER GSSF match!

:supergrin:

20. MikeM

MikeM Millennium Member

GSSF suggests you bring 150 rounds for each division you intend to shoot. [Section 50.40]

The M has been the most difficult to control as far as shooters "flow" through the match. GSSF has tried several different approaches, none of which are perfect. However, when Scott and I were trying to straighten out the mess Saturday, we started adding the shooters' times they turned in their scoresheets at the M to the bottom of the scoresheets. That way, we have the sheets in the order they were turned in, and don't have to keep trying to check the order on the sign-up sheet against the times on the sign-up sheets and the shooters' names. Once we started doing that, we were able to move shooters through quicker.

Congratulations to Danielle! :)

If you have any suggestions on how to improve the match, let GSSF know. Or stay and discuss it after the match with the ROs. Or, volunteer to be an RO and see how the other half works. :supergrin: