Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow glock lovers!
This is my first thread so bare with me if this topics been mentioned before on GlockTalk.

i was curious,...any suggestions to help retain thread protectors while firing threaded Glock barrels.
I tend to use S3F threaded barrels in all my glocks (G21SF, G19.3, G17.3) for my suppressor hosts.

When firing without an attached suppressor, my thread protectors falls off unless a crank them down every few rounds. Also, lost a few TPs but luckily found them on the ground if I forget to keep them tightened.
Nowadays I just take off the thread protectors and pop em in my range bag but I’m very interested to prevent this with the proper size o-ring.

Does anybody have a suggestion that would fit the above S3F barrels I’ve listed with the correct size o-ring to prevent this?

I’ve heard it can help, I’m inquiring which brand o-ring and sizes that have worked for you guys.

Any other suggestions, ideas or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tac_Driver

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Very descreetly carry your barrel ONLY and your protective cap to your local Ace hardware store and you will find the best fitting o- ring. You will want to find one that is small enough to allow you to remove the barrel for cleaning and not have to remove the o- ring.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
Harbor Freight. 6-7 bucks. You can see I used the 10x1.5 for my threaded barrels. There are a million uses for these around the house. Worth it to keep around. Buy a bunch extra of the size you’ll use most, probably 10x1.5
0D36785D-C628-4DB5-B8C9-69DDEC14AFFE.jpeg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harbor Freight. 6-7 bucks. You can see I used the 10x1.5 for my threaded barrels. There are a million uses for these around the house. Worth it to keep around. Buy a bunch extra of the size you’ll use most, probably 10x1.5
View attachment 372965
That’s very helpful, thanks for the suggestion! Also having the same issue with my FNX45 Tactical so, this will definitely come in handy

Thanks

·
MacGyver
7,397 Posts
Depends on the volume you shoot (and the temps that the barrel will truly reach). Viton is good to about 375F, same with most thread lockers, and simple teflon tape works great for most. Try those first.

Outside of that, think about your kitchen -- honey, maple or corn syrup, grease- but you have to set it with heat.

Rockset is good to very high temps. I use that on my brake rotor bolts.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
An O-ring is so superior to anything else. Best, easiest and longest lasting are thread/crown protectors with the O-ring in them. All but my 10mm and 45 barrels require the OR to be removed and reinstalled when changing barrels if not using a thread protector with ring in it. I've never used teflon tape but have seen videos where it makes a real mess. I have also used blue TL once and it was a ***** to get off even with heat applied.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 372965
Have you found any issues with theses barber freight o-rings dealing with high heat? (High round counts, magazine dumps, rapid fire?)

Seems like you’ve used them quite a bit with success, just curious... thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you found any issues with these Harber freight o-rings dealing with high heat? (High round counts, magazine dumps, rapid fire?)

Seems like you’ve used them quite a bit with success, just curious... thanks

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have used cheap Home Depot O-rings on thread caps for a while now. No heat related issues. Take the O-ring off before you screw on your suppressor

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have used cheap Home Depot O-rings on thread caps for a while now. No heat related issues. Take the O-ring off before you screw on your suppressor
That’s good to know!

Yeah I’ll definitely take em off before suppressed usage.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
I actually don't use suppressors. I use comps on a few sometimes. I mostly have them in OEM for my pistols to increase value and you never know when they'll say "No more threads for you!". I also use one for my Glock 20 to get a few more fps from the extra .6". I'll even get one for my Glock 40 for same reason. They're great for shooting with WML's also. All that said, never an issue with heat. The thread/crown protectors that come with them use the same type/material. When you figure out what size(s) you'll use most, order them online by the hundreds. They sell big ole' bags of them. Probably be set for life with 3-500.

Reactions: Tac-Driver

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
BTW, I was looking around last night online and saw single O-rings being sold for $4! I don't care what color they are or whatever - that's robbery. You'll want to put new ones on once in a while, why go broke?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
McMaster-Carr has tons of various o-rings for sale online. I order the viton for AR extractor spares. They're cheap too.

Reactions: Tac-Driver
1 - 17 of 17 Posts