close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NYS Senate passed new gun bill

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by High Altitude, Jan 14, 2013.

1. iDivideByZero

iDivideByZero Padawan

Ya, but federal law is not enforced by state law enforcement. Similar to how marijuana use is against federal law, but individual states are legalizing for medicinal and recreational use. Only the alphabet agencies would enforce the federal law. It seems that a lot of states are trying to flex their muscles both in positive manner (protecting individual rights) and in negative manner (stripping individual rights).

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

It really sounds like the WWII has never ended and the Nazis are in America taking our rights away. Pretty sad if you ask me.

3. Upstate Glocker

Upstate Glocker

Cuomo is way more anti-2A than even Obama, if that's possible. Cuomo started to show his colors when he was Sec of Housing in the Clinton Admin and he tried to extort gun manufacturers into self-restrictions on functionality and features. The guy is a thug. Worse, he's a self-righteous thug. Doubly worse, he is a thug with the full support of New York's left-wing news media, that makes his every word sound like it came from Moses.

The real question is whether "assault weapon" owners will (a) register within 1 year as required, (b) modify their weapons so to not meet the assault weapon 1-part definition (detachable mag plus one "assault" feature like a pistol grip), or (c) sell their weapon out of state, or (d) head for the hills, buy PVC tubes, etc.

Its estimated there are over 1 million "assault" weapons in NYS -- anyone want to wager how many of them are registered as of Feb 1, 2014?

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I am told that registration is mandatory by April 15th, 2013.
    What is your source?

I was told that ammo restrictions are in place next year to allow the state a means of setting up the required background checks.

This is really horrible, and so blatant. It will be onerous, time consuming and counter productive to do background checks to purchase ammo.

Oh well, if I were an enterprising gray type citizen I would have no problem buying ammo in PA and selling it on the streets of NY to thugs for $50/box. After all, it would not be like I sold them a gun (or so the jaded amongst us will rationalize. I have zero intention of breaking any laws!)

5. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

This is to make it so that you cannot buy ammo. There will be such a backlog of background checks that you wont be able to buy ammo in any reasonable amount of time.

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

No. Why do you insinuate such things? They would NEVER have that intent when the law was drafted!

Shame on you for even broaching such a dark thought. You should hug a tree as penance.

7. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I was going to try, but I like hugging trees nekked and its snowy out.

8. n2extrm

n2extrm

Here is a link to the FAQ page they set up.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq

You have a year from April 14 or 15 of 2013 to register or dispose of the evil weapons. They are supposed to have the forms online ready to go by April 14 or 15 of 2013 so that will give you one year. Oddly it says its free and you can mail it in? Now I know we are in trouble!

The ammo background check is the same time line as they have to set it up. No word on cost to us as purchasers or owners. They do say in the law that the cost of the system to conduct and record all of this will be bourn by the state. Which to means at some point we are all paying for it.

I printed all 34 pages (or what ever it was maybe 39) and I keep reading it. It is tricky because they randomly throw an item in in between something else, then they add something to a previous item later on that you might miss and break the first law because of something that is just a tad bit different in the second section, like calling it an ammunition feeding device and then broadening the the definition to mean almost anything. Hell I almost think the cardboard box the ammo came in is a problem. :faint:

9. n2extrm

n2extrm

Can't figure out what this does to me as a C&R holder? And where a M1 Garand fits in? Is a clip a feeding device? Is it an antique? Can I store M1 ammo in the clips like it came in the surplus cans we all bought over the years????? Just when you think its an "antique" and safe to say its exempt, 5 pages later there is something else that makes it illegal???

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

You should simply read the law, since the 1st thing I clicked on (shotguns) is giving info that conflicts with the law. According to the law, even pump shotguns that can accept >7 rounds OR have a pistol grip, OR have a telescopic stock is an assault weapon. According to that FAQ it is not.

From that website:

11. n2extrm

n2extrm

I have read it the entire thing and I still find stuff hidden all over the contradicts the prior statement. I printed it and made notes. I really believe they made it this way on purpose.

My good friend and shooting buddy just realized his 10/22 is an assault weapon under this. Semi auto, check! Detachable magazine, Check! Thumb hole stock, Check! :dunno:

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The law says rifles have to be semi-automatic and detachable mag, with 1 evil feature to be an assault weapon. Mag size is no part of it, other than there being a separate mag size law.

Shotguns just need 1 evil feature, or > 7-round mag, to be an assault weapon.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

In the law where it says you have to register "assault weapons", it specifically says 1 year to do it.

14. ICURN

ICURN

I am so happy to live in Texas.

15. mixflip

mixflip

Also Hawaii folks are vulnerable to shipping companies. If something were to stop the ships...the islands would basically destroy themselves (socially).

Plus where do you bug out if you have to leave the cities? Boat? We have family in Hawaii begging us to move there but we refuse no matter how nice the deal is they keep offering us. (free house and cars)

16. Desert Duck

Desert Duck

Just wrote your good NY Governor, told him these are draconian laws and congratulated him on achieving Orwellian Big Brother status.

How utterly sad for our brothers and sisters in New York State. I hope that they can resist, peaceably, and oppose this lunacy, voting out he insanity that are the new, NY gun laws....

Told governor coo-oh-mo that we'll skip off broadway and go elsewhere. What else can we do, without punishing too many working people, to send him a message?

I agree with Greg, the representative posted here previously on YouTube, that this is a power grab by a governator seeking the Presidency.... We pray for you, New York

17. iDivideByZero

iDivideByZero Padawan

is-new-york-citys-gun-law-unconstitutional/

This blog post is from a NYC Lawyer, and is a few years old. There are some updates in the comments. For the most part it does a great job of summing up the situation. Of course the situation just got a whole lot worse. It is by far a lot easier for politicians to pass unconstitutional law than it is to later repeal it.

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

That's a good and quick read of why the NYS approach of making all handguns illegal is unconstitutional, even when the state provides some narrow exceptions in the form of a permit.

19. ChiTownPicaro

ChiTownPicaro

I do believe the state senate was 57% GOP. I would say they are more to blame as they controlled the majority of the seats.

20. SCHADENFREUDE

SCHADENFREUDE

NY is heavily democrat. There is no 57% control of republicans anywhere to be seen.

Before the last election the repubs had I believe 2 more senate seats. Now they think they are still in control because they have a power sharing agreement with the commies.

But the voters of this state are saying now that they need a democrat that is pro gun. Not a republican but another democrat. This state is pathetic.

GOD PLEASE ALLOW ME TO LEAVE THIS PLACE SOON.