NYS SAFE Act Problem

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by Kingfish, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Kingfish

Kingfish

Interesting note on the new gun law in NYS. Under definition of assault weapon which is no longer allowed to be sold, under section
    (C) A SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
    MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:

is listed as one of those characteristics:
    (VIII) A SEMIAUTOMATIC VERSION OF AN AUTOMATIC RIFLE, SHOTGUN OR
    FIREARM

Now..... There is the Glock 18, which is an automatic firearm under these parameters. And since the Glock 19 is the semiautomatic version of this pistol the law pretty much outlawed the sale of probably the most popular Glock at best, and the ban of all Glock platform weapons at worst.

Discuss.

2. njl

njl Crusty Member

If you wanted to make that argument, it's the 17 that would be the semi-auto version of the 18, but AFAIK, there are enough geometry differences in the 17/18 that there's not much parts compatibility, which would make the 17 and 18 totally different pistols.

Larger issues with NY's new law are (according to what I've read and heard):

The ban on handguns with >7 round magazines effectively is a ban on everything but .45acp 1911's (at least ones that come with 7 round or smaller mags), G36, G39, and single stack / low capacity pocket guns. Pretty much all other pistols come with at least 10 round mags and there are no 7 round mags for them...so those pistols can no longer be sold in NY. The Heller case established that the government cannot ban handguns, and NY has very nearly done so.

The entire law was passed in violation of NY's state Constitution which mandates a 3 day period between introduction of legislation and voting on that legislation, presumably to give the legislators time to read and actually know/understand what they're voting on. This was rushed through, ignoring that rule.

Perhaps due to the previous item, the law neglected to exempt police from the 7 round magazine limit. The governor has announced that police are exempt...but the law doesn't say it. It must be good to be king.

So...the SAFE act probably violates the US Constitution, was passed in violation of NY's Constitution, and has serious omissions that will cause selective enforcement (police assumed to be exempt, even though according to the law they are not). Other than that, no problems...right?

The only question is, how long will it take to get challenged and overturned?

3. 09crue

09crue

4. zorba

zorba

Cuomo is nothing more than a political opportunist, he seized on the Sandy Hook tragedy to ram ultra restrictive gun laws down the throats of law abiding NY gun owners. He made the "NY Safe Act" a centerpiece of the State of the State speech, used the "means of necessity" to waive the three day review period and gave gave NY lawmakers approx. 20 minutes to review the bill before voting on it at midnight! All this was done to curry favor with the national gun control groups so they will support him in his 2016 presidential run!

One way to circumvent Coumo is to gather support among both republican & democratic NYS citizens who feel violated to vote against him in 2014. If he is not re-elected as NY Gov, it will make his presidential run next to impossible, that's how we beat this SOB! Note; when Cuomo was Director of HUD, he spent 15 million of your taxpayer dollars to fund a "gun buyback" at public housing across the country!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Probably refers to AR pistols.

But no trusting the anti-gunners.

6. Glock26z

Glock26z

Revolvers will sell like hotcakes sooner if,not now already.

7. Lord

Lord Senior Member

I think if it were (hypothetical situation) the glock 18a being automatic, and the 18s being semi-auto, then that would apply to the 18s only. (end hypothetical) Since all of glock's guns look and appear to be the same/similar, the OP's argument won't hold. since the 17 or 19 is NOT an 18, it's not considered the semi-automatic version of it.

8. Jerry

Jerry Millennium Member

Don't forget that politicians, especially the grabbers, will spin WHATEVER they can to do WHATEVER they want. LOGIC need not apply.

9. Lord

Lord Senior Member

I have no argument for this. you're absolutely right about that.

10. cagnoli

cagnoli Patriot First

Thankfully, I'm leaving this pos state in 28 days. I'm taking all my evil black guns with me, and we, nor ANY of my money will EVER be back.

Cuomo can suck it. I'm dragging my family, including my parents, and a pair of close friends with me to Tennessee. In total, we are taking $550,000 a year out of NYS. I was lucky enough to sell my house in three weeks.

I feel for those of you who are stuck here.....that said, if you need a safe place to store your evil bang sticks, there is always room in my safe, I won't even charge rent ;)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire