NYS Peace Officer status...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Garweh, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Ducowti

Ducowti

Yes. That was 2007. The auxiliaries have no arrest authority either. They've been suspended since March and I would imagine for the forseeable future in this severely anti-LE climate; those poor saps would be like the tethered goat in Jurassic Park put out for the TRex to come eat.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

They got their powers suspended in March? I didn’t hear about that. I was a little busy then. Wow. Suspended for covid. That’s the excuse anyway.

3. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu

Is NY the only place where most FDs are staffed by volunteers?

My friends and family from other states think it’s nuts that NY doesn’t have professional paid firefighters - I tend to agree.

4. Tvov

Tvov

?? Most fire departments in the USA are volunteer. Are you mixing up New York City and New York State?

City fire departments are usually paid / career, because a volunteer department can't be expected to go to that number of calls.

New York City is very much a career fire department... I think it is the largest fire department in the USA.

Other parts of New York State are volunteer or paid.

5. Tvov

Tvov

Welcome to the world of Fire Police! Whooho!

You are usually loved by the local police... "Sure! You can take over this intersection for me! You actually volunteer for traffic control?!?!".... lol

New York State and Connecticut have different regulations regarding fire police. In Connecticut in general, the Fire Chief appoints fire police. You aren't a "Peace Officer". There are various certifications available like TIMS (Traffic Incident Management System), but you don't have to take them unless your fire department requires it.

Really, about the only thing being official fire police in Connecticut does is give me the legal ability close down a state or local road. Obviously I should have a good reason... lol! Other than that, we don't have any kind of police powers.

Related to police powers, open carry or concealed carry of a gun is up to the Fire Chief... I believe the vast majority of departments officially say no.

A majority of fire police are older volunteer firefighters that want to continue to help but aren't air pack guys (like me). I also just help out in general at a scene.

Regarding being an "East" thing, I guess it is, especially in the Northeast.

6. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Yes to arrest powers, yes to “employee,” NO to carry on duty at this time. Our Chief is working with the Board of Commissioners to make on duty carry happen. I have completed “TIMS” and many other courses. Thanks for the input.

7. Larry302

Larry302

Albany ,Syracuse,Yonkers ,Rochester , Buffalo and a lot of bigger suburbs, as well as smaller cites are all paid . Of course FDNY too .

8. Ducowti

Ducowti

N
    Not sure of the numbers, but at least in the more populous cities/towns in lower NYS FDs are paid. Many of the smaller towns have only volly FDs, but I don’t know if, statewide “most” are volly.

9. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Most villages and small to medium sized towns in New York State rely solely on volunteers for fire and EMS services. The only city in our county, Oneonta NY (with a population of 14K) has paid fire and EMS services. Cities have the tax base to support paid fire and EMS services. EMS services run the gamut from first responders only to BLS corps to paramedic staffed corps. Some counties have paid paramedics (either commercial contracted or county employed) based at various locations in the county. These paramedics will respond to ALS calls in addition to the volunteer corps. As a critical care anesthesiologist, I cannot under NYS law (and FD insurance refs) provide medical care at an emergency scene as a member of our FD without going through an EMT-refresher course (expired in 1983) and then “challenging” the paramedic exam.

The village of Cooperstown has a paid police force. Some other villages have paid police forces although most rely upon the Otsego County Sheriff’s Department and the New York State Police for law enforcement services. “SWAT” type calls in rural counties are usually handled by the NYS Police “SORT” in coordination with local law enforcement.

10. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

LEOSA is a no go then. Even limited statutory arrest authority, only on duty, only for certain things is enough. However, you are missing "is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;".

Randy

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  11. Tvov

Tvov

Interesting stuff. I believe in CT you need to take the state police academy course to carry a gun and arrest people - I think this is the same course all regular police officers take.

It will be interesting to hear how things work out for you!

12. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Hi Randy: Yup. Currently carry on duty is a no go, so no LEOSA. If Chief is able to get Board of Commissioners to agree to on duty carry, LEOSA will be good-to-go, IMHO.

13. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

yep. LEOSA doesn’t apply until your agency authorizes it.

14. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Hi TVOV. There is a peace officer firearms training course that I will need to take to carry on duty. I will likely take the whole 99 hour basic peace officer course which is in addition to the firearms portion.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020