close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NYS Deer Hunters

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Matthew Temkin, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

Has anyone had any luck? I could only get away Wed and saw nada in Orange County.

2. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

I hunt in the central NY area and have seen the most deer ever. The mild winter last year really brought the population up. Early bow season up north I got a small doe. I also got a button buck in area 6p. I also shot a buck that had to be at least a 6 pointer with a nice rack. Unfortunately the buck ran and another group of hunters picked up the blood trail. They chased it over the Mohawk River where I could not get it. Keep hunting because your almost guranteed to get one!

3. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

Thanks. I took a friend with me for his first "hunt." I say "hunt" because he does not have a liscense so he came with me unarmed. Wouldn't you know that I pushed a large buck and a doe right passed him!!!!
    I'll be trying West Point next week, and a few more days in the next few.
    But at this point I am not filled with hope.

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You probably already know this, but having an un-licensed person out in the field with you while you are hunting is illegal. That's just FYI, not meant as a criticism.

I've seen plenty of deer but just not bucks since I put my bow down and picked up my gun.

5. m65swede

m65swede

Are you sure about that? I would think that an unarmed person who is not hunting would be considered the same as a hiker; no license needed.

We often include unlicensed hunters in our hunting activities. For example my hunting buddy here in Illinois often takes a non-hunting partner with him to videotape his bowhunts. They both climb the same tree, the camera man at the top.

I usta hunt your State from 1980-1988 as I was employed in NYC at that time. Mostly hunted deer in Sullivan County. Nice country and great folks; plenty of Genny on tap after a hard day's hunt. :)

Swede

6. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

My Sterling Forest permit allows me to take one non hunting guest along.
    I was a NYS liscensed guide for a few years, and I can state that no such law (about having a non hunter along) exists in NYS.

7. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

the only time an unlisenced person would be breaking the law is if they actually took part in drives, if you read your nys hunting regs it states that anyone pursuing or harassing game is hunting , armed or not!!! but if they went along mereley as observers, then it's ok!;f

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

This is the key.

My assumption is that the person along on the "hunt" is partaking merely by being another set of eyes involved in "pursuing" or another set of feet involved in flushing deer from cover in "harassing."

At some point there is a line and only the NYS Enviromental Conservation Officer would determine when the line is crossed.

To what degree is the unlicensed person merely observing (such as video taping from a distance perhaps) or helping out in some small way?

For one thing, we don't want unlicensed PETA memebers out there messing with our hunts, so I'm willing to accept a pretty strict interpretation of the laws against unlicensed "pursuing" and "harassing".

I know I was an unlicensed "hunter" as a kid when I went along with my father. I was observing and learning, but I was also helping with my eyes and ears (but probably hurting with my footsteps :) )

9. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

Got one today!!! Just when I was about to give up for the season.
    A younger friend took me on a grueling two hour slip-sliding hike in West point ( my butt was dragging, due to the snow & rocks) but we got up high in the pines, and he told me to sit down. He then began a two hour still hunt around me that ended within 20 minutes when two big does came past me.
    One stopped and my .308 spoke.
    We saw a lot of deer being examined at the check station, including a nice 4 pointer.
    Who says it's all over after opening day?

10. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

Congratulations on shooting your doe. Feels good to get one. I only got a button buck and a doe this year but that still equals a lot of good meat.

Maybe the next thing you should try to hunt is Russian Boar. I am trying to get my hunting club at college to go. They have a game preserve up north that has some nice trophy animals. I think it would be fun and a thrill to hunt an animal that can hunt you back.

Here is a link if your interested,

http://www.huntingoutfitters.com/oldstonefence/

11. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

Back in 1995 I shot a huge 6 pointer that dressed out at 198 pounds. which means that it's live weight (dressed weight times 1.3) was close to 260.
    Guess what? The meat was awful...So bad that Mrs. Temkin insists that I bring home does only.
    You can't eat horns. or admiring glances.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'd like to take that week long hunt offered by Cold River Outfitters who take you in by wagons to their tent camp in the Adirondacks.
    After that deer/bear hunt I'll try for russian boar.

12. m65swede

m65swede

Terrible tasting venison usually is caused by a combination of poor diet, poor body condition, poor field dressing techniques, or improper cooling. I can't really say I've sampled a bad one yet, though we are very picky after the kill is made.

We gut 'em immediately, then hang them head down to cool ASAP. Then either butcher them ourselves or deliver them to a locker plant to let the pros do their thing.

Whatever you do, don't ride around all day with a deer over your fender or laying in the bed of a pickup. That'll put some flavor in 'em! ;Q

I will admit to being a little spoiled by these corn/soybean fed deer here in Illinois, but the deer I got in New York, New Jersey, and Maryland in years past were real good too. :)

Swede

13. 40loader

40loader IPSC Shooter

I'm kind of late joining the thread but managed to get a nice big doe on Friday after Thanksgiving. Meat is in the freezer and I have my stuff all ready to make some jerky and slim jims. I have about two pounds of meat left from last year so the timing was perfect. I am going to try some new recipes for the jerky and will let everyone know how they come out.