close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NYPD union rep rats out his LT, transferred for his "safety".

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gallium, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Well, how ****ing dumb is that really? What ever happened to following the law, doing the right thing, standing up for justice, etc?

Now the guy says other cops are not talking his calls. What's more important? Looking out for each other, or doing the right thing? In his scenario, it looks like doing the RIGHT THING is secondary to having your brother in blue's back, or that they are not always mutually inclusive.

------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Ever read Serpico? NYPD is a crooked bunch.

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Not the majority by a long shot. But just enough (1/2 of 1%?, 0.01%) to make it unsettling just thinking about it.

One time this cop took away my propeller hat, and I've never been the same since. . .

4. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have painted with such a broad brush. I'm sure most are honest hard working folk. But the few who aren't are like organized crime.

5. Narkcop

Narkcop

Palestro said Seda was driven by the pressures of the Compstat and Trafficstat strategies, which rate police performance based on statistics.

I don't think this has anything to do with corruption if you read the article.

6. rich52us

rich52us

Don't believe everything you read or see about Serpico. Painting all of NYPD with that brush is just wrong.

7. enukis

enukis

I may be on the wrong track but I doubt that other POs would place mousetraps around the precinct or otherwise harass their own PBA delegate over an issue with a *****y LT. The PBA is on the side of POs, not LTs; it almost seems like other bosses at the precinct would be behind this sort of retaliation.

8. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

the odor of feces doesn't EVER blow away from NYPD.

Might be their wage scale has something to do with that.

I can sure see preferring to drive a UPS truck rather than share in the traditional rep of that so called professional police organization. Even if 95% of the officers are squeaky clean and boy scouts at heart, there's darn sure a sizeable number in it for personal gain and DAMN the law. It never goes away....

9. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Perhaps you should read post #4

10. hyperstyx

hyperstyx

The background story relating to any efforts to contain the unwrapped L-T within precinct purview might be interesting.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

There have been a few stories about Compstat in the past few weeks, including this one:

and a brief history on Compstat, and a 19th century story on data collection/mapping -

12. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Drew,

When it comes to things NYC, I always defer to your judgment and experience, but on this one you appear to be somewhat idealistic. Just a thought.

Respectfully yours,

PW

13. Gareth68

Gareth68

Unpossible!! Everyone knows there are no ticket quotas nor pressure to write traffic tickets....

14. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Whats wrong is wrong.There is no grey area to being a professional.Corruption is one thing that disgusts me to no end but unfortunately, its there and in alot of places,not just LE.Often its something that remains behind a curtain until its gotten so bad that its gets exposed,then everyone cries "wolf". It drags the whole bunch down and then gets minimized to avoid public scrutiny.

Very hard to do anything about it unless one is in his situation.He did good.

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hey PW,

It is always good to hear from you, in agreement, or slight shades of differences of view. Your input is always welcome.

I honestly don't know about any percentages. It could be even LOWER, it could possibly be higher. Another Miller (below your post - above this one) nicely captures the essence of my thoughts on this matter. Wrong is wrong, and in my head, it's even more wrong when the folks entrusted with the upkeep of the law conduct it.

'Drew
    :cool:

16. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Welcome to the 21st century........................and the effect all those years of teaching our kids the "idealistic approach" has asserted.

How dare you catch me!

17. CAcop

CAcop

I think it is related. Maybe it's becase I work patrol and have seen the shift from Commnity Oriented Policing to Statistics Oreinted Policing.

Abot once a year my management gets on a "write more tickets" kick. Then they rn into the brick wall of reality. 40-60 reports in 16 days of work.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

19. krab

krab CLM

Hey NYC Drew,

About 12 years ago my wife and I stayed in Manhattan for 8 weeks and I can tell you, New York's finest were always a welcome sight.

Being on the job in NYC is no picnic, these guys have to deal with bad guys from all over the world!

I cut them a long line of slack. Whatever goes on internally is the same old same old in any large organization.

I definitely don't condone corruption on any level anywhere but at the same time these guys are literally at war. :shocked:

20. Natty

Natty

Drew you are asking if protecting/covering up illegal criminal acts by police is more important than enforcing the law?